Woolworths

You may be right...

A father watched his young daughter playing in the garden. He smiled as he reflected on how sweet and pure his little girl was. Tears formed in his eyes as he thought about her seeing the wonders of nature through such innocent eyes. Suddenly she just stopped and stared at the ground. He went over to her to see what work of God had captured her attention. He noticed she was looking at two spiders mating.
"Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?" she asked.
"They're mating," her father replied.
"What do you call the spider on top?" she asked.
"That's a Daddy Longlegs," her father answered.
"So, the other one is a Mommy Longlegs?" the little girl asked.
As his heart soared with the joy of such a cute and innocent question he replied "No dear. Both of them are Daddy Longlegs."
The little girl, looking a little puzzled, thought for a moment, then took her foot and stomped them flat, saying "Well, we're not having any of that Brokeback mountain **** in our garden!"

Sorry to be dull but back to Woolies.

I believe that part of the reason they been smashed is because most of the property is leasehold, they've got quite a bit of debt so their only real assets are all those Chav Valley toys and a few dozen mini mars bars from the pick n mix! (think Citigroup put out a note a few months ago saying all this)

But

They do have the entertainment UK division, which is one of the biggest suppliers of DVDs in UK....
and doing quite well....

and majority shareholder Baugur may bid for them, or could decide not to throw good money after bad.....

I'd say probably one to look at in a month or two when the xmas trading period's over and the bears have moved on to the next en-vogue sector.

But what do i know?

Now what do I do? Share price has rallied to eleven and a half pence based on managemtn shakeup.

My traders instincts are to close the trade now... my investment instincts are to consider adding to my position.

Now what do I do? Share price has rallied to eleven and a half pence based on managemtn shakeup.

My traders instincts are to close the trade now... my investment instincts are to consider adding to my position.

Don't understand what you're trying to do here. Your first post said that you had bought some speculatively as a 1yr+ holding, with a view that if it returned to 30-40p you could more than triple your money. Now, after a very small rally, you're talking about closing the bet. If you're a trader, trade it and take the profit. If you're an investor, what's happened to change your view since a few days ago? It's absolutely critical when going into a trade (even a speculative one) to be definite about what your objectives are, and what success/failure is defined as. I can't see how you can trade successfully without doing that!

Don't understand what you're trying to do here.

Dithering... it's what I do best ;)

Your first post said that you had bought some speculatively as a 1yr+ holding, with a view that if it returned to 30-40p you could more than triple your money. Now, after a very small rally, you're talking about closing the bet. If you're a trader, trade it and take the profit. If you're an investor, what's happened to change your view since a few days ago? It's absolutely critical when going into a trade (even a speculative one) to be definite about what your objectives are, and what success/failure is defined as. I can't see how you can trade successfully without doing that!

I think that this is absolutely justified in the case of this trade, where I am acting a bit like a ninny, but I don't know if it's great general advice - I think you need to be able to change your mind about a trade at any time.

Dithering... it's what I do best ;)

I think that this is absolutely justified in the case of this trade, where I am acting a bit like a ninny, but I don't know if it's great general advice - I think you need to be able to change your mind about a trade at any time.

lol.

but re. the advice, I think it stands: sure you can change your mind, but you should be able to have pre-determined the events that would require you to do so, otherwise it's just winging it / guessing, n'est-ce pas?

Heh... I got out of woolies more or less at the top. Dip bought them again and made more. And then about a week ago I got in at 9.18p. I've got progressive stops on so imagine I'm out of most of it by now but that was less successful.

My biggest error was forgetting how bloody slow stock investors are compared to us athletic quick thinking futures traders with large testicles... Bottom fishing the day after an announcement is too soon. I reckon they're still a very good buy versus the retail sector though and will consider adding (well, probably opening a new position - should check my CMC account) from around six and three quarters progressively to around two hundred pounds a point by six, stops in the four or fivish region.

the spread betting was liquidated ages ago - I bought some real shares a wee bit ago though for the ISA!