Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

i agree with you on that. a dying bull run and all that. I'm just hoping we'll get to that support at 10600 first, i can sell and watch a rebound and get in again. If only things were that simple.

It's much easier with futures when you know what you're doing.I suspect my (ex) SB of certain practices and I doubt they're unique.It's possible to make money position trading but I'd rather just have segregated futures accounts.

Well guess which idiot held YM overnight with a stop order not a stop limit? Unlike Globex ones, ECBOT stop orders are not triggered out of hours by IB. I'm so used to using ordinary stops that I forgot this last night. Thankfully I sold 3 of the 4 in the low 800s this morning, but the remaining one took a nasty hit as the price sailed through my untriggered stop before the open. Grr. If I hadn't happened to turn on my PC around 10 am and sell 3 it would have been truly horrible, mind you.

Not looking for sympathy, just to warn others in case anyone else decides to hold YM overnight with an ordinary stop. DON'T!

Now then are you a breakaway gap or do you want filling today is the question?

jonnyy40 said:
It's much easier with futures when you know what you're doing.I suspect my (ex) SB of certain practices and I doubt they're unique.It's possible to make money position trading but I'd rather just have segregated futures accounts.

Here here to that ! - otherwise you have to watch 20 things at once and even then they beat you to the punch. Not to mention all those weird spikes when things go quiet - just enough enough to trigger limits/stops, but the underlying price never really gets there - etc etc.

frugi said:
Well guess which idiot held YM overnight with a stop order not a stop limit? Unlike Globex ones, ECBOT stop orders are not triggered out of hours by IB. I'm so used to using ordinary stops that I forgot this last night. Thankfully I sold 3 of the 4 in the low 800s this morning, but the remaining one took a nasty hit as the price sailed through my untriggered stop before the open. Grr. If I hadn't happened to turn on my PC around 10 am and sell 3 it would have been truly horrible, mind you.

Not looking for sympathy, just to warn others in case anyone else decides to hold YM overnight with an ordinary stop. DON'T!

Now then are you a breakaway gap or do you want filling today is the question?
...........................................................................................................................................................................

Probably a very dumb question but what's YM ?

justyn said:
Hi Kriesau

YM Futures expire every three months so most day traders are now trading June futs and then we will be trading September etc etc.

The futs reperesent the future value of the Dow on their settlement day in June and the consensus must be that the Dow will be higher in June so the futs price is 30 points or so higher than the index itself. As we get closer to the expiry date this gap will gradually reduce.

Hope this helps.

Justyn.
................................................................................................................................................................
Thanks. Why don't you trade April Futures on the Dow since they are closer to the market price and have a smaller spread than June Futures ?

frugi said:
Yes, June mini-Dow future.
.......................................................................................................................................................................
Sorry but what is the 'mini-Dow' as distinct from the Dow (as in Dow 30) ?

Next stop 10600 then. Oil takes out its highs. I got stopped out of my positions. Oh well.

I still reckon we'll see $50-52 before we see $60.

kriesau said:
.......................................................................................................................................................................
Sorry but what is the 'mini-Dow' as distinct from the Dow (as in Dow 30) ?

E-mini contracts are smaller electronically traded version of the stock index versions of the S&P 500 and Nasdaq-100 stock indexes. They are one-fifth the size of the larger institutional contracts. E-minis can be traded electronically from your desktop on our Direct Access software platform. E-Mini futures trade on the CME’s Globex® electronic trading system. These futures trades are matched on a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) price algorithm. That means no one has an advantage over you in the execution of your order. All orders for these futures products trade in this one centralized market. You do not need to worry about where to route your order for the best fill