Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

badtrader said:
Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Anyone know.I think down some more then up,but dont put you money on it.
Maybe an investment in poor quality alcohol would be better in your case :rolleyes:

As per my posting in selling the dow

We are still in the trade from last night and have come out a the 10400 level

Now coming close to the 300 point s mark.....Still I am calling the 10200 level but will take my trade out close of play thursday....

Tommorow another 50 point down as Rita is really pulling the hair out of texas.... :(

Happy trading

Racer said:
From recent foreign purchasers of US assets...

Japan increased their purchases of US treasuries marginally while China, OPEC and Carribean hedge funds were net sellers. UK and Eurozone demand accounted for most of the increases in purchases, which was the largest since July. The data was strong all around, with large purchases of treasuries, agencies, corporate bonds as well as stocks.

(my highlight)

Asian CB accumulation has been flat for most of this year. More interesting is the decline in Central Bank holdings of US debt instruments over the last twelve months. I need to check the data from last year, but I don't remember the CB holdings being as low in previous years.

Statements from the Fed suggested that a shortfall in foreign CB purchases of US debt instruments would be met from private invesors. Who are these private investors that they have such resources ?

TIC data month on month here. Look at the grand total at the bottom of the page. Movement is $27.4b. I have read that foreign purchases of US assets increased by a whopping $87.4 billion. The US Treasury website shows $27.4 billion in Central Bank purchases. Who bought the other $60b ?

NDXBET said:
Just rode a short on the NDX from 1607 to 1579 using my system. 24 point target reached and taken. Waiting for the next signal before going short or long. The system can be followed at www.ndxbet.com

Hi NDXBET,

I followed the link to your site. You say.....

When each bet is placed, a subsequent buy or sell limit order is placed above or below the new open position to automatically take profits. If a fourth bet is required a buy or sell limit order is placed to exit the position at the total average price enterd for a break even settlement.

I am not sure I follow, could you expand on this please ?

The Jobless Claims figures, which are out at 13.30, are expected to be 398k. Last week it was pointed out that the number did not include many people made jobless by Katrina. So we may see quite a big number.

frugi said:
Bought a litter of Jan 2006 CAT 60 puts at the open @ 3.60.
Initial scale out target: bottom of weekly wedge.
Either that or it carelessly runs me over on its way to $80, but I suspect kittens will start to weigh it down before long. :)

Big turnaround in CAT at the open today, back in favour with the imminent destruction from Rita. You still holding Frugi ?

Alcoa says Rita, rising costs to hit profit

SAN FRANCISCO (AFX) -- Alcoa Inc (NYSE: AA - news) . warned after Thursday's closing bell that Hurricane Rita, along with low aluminum prices and higher raw-material costs, will take a bite out of its third-quarter profit.
The Pittsburgh-based metals giant said it expects earnings from continuing operations to come in at 27 cents to 31 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had previously forecast a profit, on average, of 44 cents a share.

Alcoa

Last edited:
LAGOS (AP)--Nigerian militia fighters have taken over a Chevron Corp. (CVX) oil flow station and shut down its production

Chevron spokesman Femi Odumabolaims said the company opted to shut down production after "youths disarmed the government security forces around it."

Idama produces just 8,000 barrels a day. Nigeria's total output is about 2.5 million b/d.

The militia has threatened to shut down oil operations in the southern Niger Delta - where most of Nigeria's crude is produced

Oil down to $65.69 as Rita weakens to a Cat4 Hurricane. Some reports now suggest that it will bypass Texas and head towards the Mexican coast.

Dow Cash Futures currently down 15pts at 10407.

kriesau said:
Oil down to $65.69 as Rita weakens to a Cat4 Hurricane. Some reports now suggest that it will bypass Texas and head towards the Mexican coast.

PPT pulled out all the stops on that one :cheesy:

kriesau said:

Report from Hurricane authority
RITA expected to make landfall 60 miles to north of Galveston near Port Arthur
Storm surge of 10-20 feet to reach 10 miles inland
Also may increase in intensity after crossing area of warmer water before decreasing again before landfall
Presently RITA is stronger than Katrina at same stage

i think distillates are yet again taking a little too easy. would not be surprised to see an upward squeeze in last 40 minutes as people wont want to get trapped short like the other weekend.