Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Out of the S&P, the Nasdaq and the Dow is there one that normally points the way for the others on an intraday timescale, or does it depend more on what technical levels they are under or over?

roguetrader said:
Hi clylbw,
All those days are fairly light volume, the footprint of "big boys" (institutions I asume) as you call them is heavy volume, when institutions accumulate or distribute it is accompanied by high volume. Volume of less than the 50 or 60 day ma is generally considered to show a lack of institutional activity.
If you are talking specifically about futures volume then I don't know as I don't follow the futures

Hi roguetrader,

I was referring to the futures, but I see your point; many thanks. :)

rrtech said:
Out of the S&P, the Nasdaq and the Dow is there one that normally points the way for the others on an intraday timescale, or does it depend more on what technical levels they are under or over?
Yes.

counter_violent said:
Legendary post there Soc .....One for my wall !
Good ! Now you have taken note of the answer, I will entrust you to reply to him when he asks and for you to explain all the mechanism yourgoodself, in your own words, as you now exonerate me from doing so. Many Thanks.

Intra-day, daily, monthly,..............irrelevant.
There is no individual index that possesses "Leadership" consistently.

During the "tech boom" of mid-90's, NASDAQ assumed leadership, not because it was the NASDAQ index, but because it contained the majority of stocks in the "hottest" sector of the day.

The DJI, because of its composition consisting of 30 stocks can catch fire if the components that compose the heaviest weighting are members of a currently hot sector.

S&P500, as representing the broadest selection of the market, can outperform when the "market" as a whole advances, or in the bear market of 2000 - 2003, decline as a % the least.

Wiltshire Small Cap index was on fire, and outperformed, and so on.

The reason, although of no practical help intra-day is one of valuation.
cheers d998

big day tomorrow.... some big numbers coming out...... add to that we've traded within 40 points on quite substantial data today....!!!

any views for tomorrow.... is everyone feeling bearish....... because im starting to wonder whether i should be closing my positions on a small loss... (short at average 10545)

ducati998 said:
Intra-day, daily, monthly,..............irrelevant.
There is no individual index that possesses "Leadership" consistently.

During the "tech boom" of mid-90's, NASDAQ assumed leadership, not because it was the NASDAQ index, but because it contained the majority of stocks in the "hottest" sector of the day.

The DJI, because of its composition consisting of 30 stocks can catch fire if the components that compose the heaviest weighting are members of a currently hot sector.

S&P500, as representing the broadest selection of the market, can outperform when the "market" as a whole advances, or in the bear market of 2000 - 2003, decline as a % the least.

Wiltshire Small Cap index was on fire, and outperformed, and so on.

The reason, although of no practical help intra-day is one of valuation.
cheers d998

Sensible and constructive answer Ducati and, for what its worth, I concur with your comments.

rrtech - most posters here try to be helpful and are usually very willing to discuss or explain any issues or questions that are raised. We all learn and benefit from this dialogue.
Don't be put off by one ignorant and dismissive response.

twiggytwo said:
Hi , the best two posts of the day # 4455 & # 4456
What goes around -- Comes around
regards to all
Yes, but no explanation is forthcoming, and this invites the loominaries to iloominate us
with their blinding luminescence.
icon7.gif

Anyway! All this business of wheres the Dow heading this year? Easy.....chart wise, left to right, with not quite 180 degrees of movement! Have i not answered the question sensibly?

Right thats it! PRICE ACTION! It dont come much easier folks! Indicators............WHY?

SOCRATES said:
Musn't go short in a bull market pretending to be a bear market....very dangerous practice unless you really know what you are doing and the timing is bang on. Get smacked botty easily........
icon10.gif

Excellent, i am now going to preserve this post before it is deleted. Clearly you are stating that the Dow is a Bull market.........Time will tell of course .......but I am so so pleased that we now have something concrete to go on ;) know what I mean ?

Well....it hasn't exactly been a bear market up till now has it ? I mean to say, it hasn't been going down since Friday 13th May now has it ? It has been going UP in case you have not noticed or have persisted in being a chronic bear against all the patently obvious evidence, really ! So why keep insisting it is a short market against all evidence to the contrary ?

SOCRATES said:
Well....it hasn't exactly been a bear market up till now has it ? I mean to say, it hasn't been going down since Friday 13th May now has it ? It has been going UP in case you have not noticed or have persisted in being a chronic bear against all the patently obvious evidence, really ! So why keep insisting it is a short market against all evidence to the contrary ?

Interesting, and where exactly have i posted about shorting the Dow in the last Three - Four weeks ? c'mon where ? You find a post ......and while your at it ...keep your hair on !!!

its setting up for a big short sell day IMHO.. possible target 10,400 before the close (double daily range from last nights close)

worringly the cycle turn i had for the FTSE on tuesday looked like an inversion, so that might be bullish into next week. yet the Dow and SP seemed to have eased off, potential confirming wednesday as a top..

mixed signals from the markets again...

fc

guys, can we get back to the matter in hand rather than bickering?

lets have some analysis, or/and perhaps some charts?

FetteredChinos said:
its setting up for a big short sell day IMHO.. possible target 10,400 before the close (double daily range from last nights close)

worringly the cycle turn i had for the FTSE on tuesday looked like an inversion, so that might be bullish into next week. yet the Dow and SP seemed to have eased off, potential confirming wednesday as a top..

mixed signals from the markets again...

fc
Hi,

I agree with the 10400 as the level of support, I can't see it going any lower. We've had some strong consolidation over the past couple of weeks at its current level. So a smaller retrace would be in order. A bounce of 10400 would also see the index continuing with the bull trend.

I'm short (from Wednesday) at 10582 and I'm happy to sit and wait to see what happens.

Summer outing to Herm this lunchtime - plenty of vino - so I have my stop and limit orders in place just in case. ( I will not be in any fit state to trade by the time I get back.....) Last boat at 11.15pm... :cheesy:

JillyB said:
Summer outing to Herm this lunchtime - plenty of vino - so I have my stop and limit orders in place just in case. ( I will not be in any fit state to trade by the time I get back.....) Last boat at 11.15pm... :cheesy:

after all that vino i hope you can swim... no chance of making that boat!

:cheesy: