Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

NasdaqC touching low of 15 April (low was 1906.71) so a bounce? How high though?

Wow, just looked out the window, a glorious red sunset and reddish rainbow!

Matches the Dow!

Haven't had time to check today's session...but do we close above or below 10100?

FetteredChinos said:
ooo thats 3 days on the trot of eyeball to eyeball
am only targeting 10,222 by early tomorrow.

might get it today..

FC

Think I win somehow ;)

Nice Head & Shoulders break at the close. I wonder if this will work or if it will be a false one?

Attachments

• hs.gif
    hs.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 161
FetteredChinos said:
shabba.. closed for +105..

thats + 214 for the day..
and +289 for the week..

6 wins from 6..

you have been a lovely audience..

may enjoy those beers tonight.. :)

Had a very good day so I REALLY couldn't resist this FC.

Monday: 7 pt loss on the SPX
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: 2 wins on the Dow = 56 pts + 1 loss = 19pts. Sub Total = 37 pts
Today: Ahead and still open: 3 Dow shorts = 479 pts + 1 Nasdaq short = 22 pts, 1 zero trade on SPX = 501 pts net

Total so far this week: 531 pts from2 wins, 2 losses and 4 open positions.
Everyone have a really great day tomorrow - I will still be short :)

Microsoft Reports Sharp Rise in Third-Quarter Profit on Fewer Legal Fees, Revenue Misses Views

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said Thursday that third-quarter earnings nearly doubled from last year, when the company incurred legal charges of $2.53 billion, but revenue failed to meet Wall Street expectations.

Net income rose to $2.56 billion, or 23 cents per share, from $1.32 billion, or 12 cents per share, a year ago. Latest-quarter results included legal charges of 5 cents per share, down from 17 cents per share in the year-earlier period. The 2005 period also included stock options expensing which weighed on profit.

Revenue increased 5 percent to $9.62 billion from $9.18 billion last year, driven by healthy growth in the company's server and tools business.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for the company to post earnings of 32 cents per share on sales of $9.83 billion in the latest quarter. The company would have met earnings projections, except for expenses of 4 cents a share due to options expensing, a new accounting requirement.

The company said Mobile and Embedded Devices revenue grew 31 percent over the prior year as Windows Mobile products experienced strong demand.

"Despite a mixed enterprise software environment, the quarter played out largely as we expected and operating income and earnings per share results were in line with our expectations," said Scott Di Valerio, corporate vice president and corporate controller at Microsoft.

"Given our optimism about the future with our strong product pipeline and the growth opportunities from our investments in innovative products and services, we expect increased revenue growth in fiscal 2006," Di Valerio continued.

Microsoft shares fell 54 cents, or 2.2 percent, to close earlier at $24.45 on the Nasdaq.

However...

SAN FRANCISCO (AFX) -- Shares of Microsoft rose more than 1% in heavy
Thursday evening trading after the company posted sharply higher quarterly
earnings, while NetGear's stock spiked more than 19% after surpassing most
expectations.
The Nasdaq-100 After Hours Indicator, which tracks the evening action of the
technology-heavy index's leading shares, was down 1.18 points to 1408.11.
Microsoft Corp. shares traded up to $24.77 after the company reported its
third-quarter net profit nearly doubled. Revenue rose 4.9%, lagging analysts'
expectations.
Microsoft said it earned 23 cents a share, with revenue coming in at $9.62
billion. Analysts had expected a profit before items of 32 cents a share on
revenue of $9.83 billion.

Whilst on the subject of Microsoft.

Just checked the 1min chart from Deal4Free and there have been 6 downward spikes throughout todays session. Timings and prices (approx) :

14:56 - 24.72 -> 23.70
15:18 - 24.75 -> 23.71
17:25 - 24.70 -> 23.65
18:50 - 24.70 -> 23.70
19.15 - 24.70 -> 23.70
19:52 - 24.66 -> 23.62

Does anyone else use D4F and have the same spikes appearing on the MSFT chart? Can anyone explain these spikes or is something more sinister going on?

Last edited:
Does anyone else use D4F and have the same spikes appearing on the MSFT chart? Can anyone explain these spikes or is something more sinister going on?

No way would I use Steal 4 Lots for a start!!

eSignal shows MSFT lowest price of the day at $24.44 during the last 5min of regular trading

If deal4free is a spread bet affair then I don't know how they work, maybe they make their own prices.

Slapshot said:
Whilst on the subject of Microsoft.

Just checked the 1min chart from Deal4Free and there have been 6 downward spikes throughout todays session. Timings and prices (approx) :

14:56 - 24.72 -> 23.70
15:18 - 24.75 -> 23.71
17:25 - 24.70 -> 23.65
18:50 - 24.70 -> 23.70
19.15 - 24.70 -> 23.70
19:52 - 24.66 -> 23.62

I've just looked at the charts and I can see the spikes that you mean. I've sometimes encountered a single spike when trading FTSE companies, but they have never activated any stops and have always bounced straight back up to where they were before. The spikes on the FTSE ususally happen around 10.15 - 10.30am. However I've never seen quite so many spikes in one days trading.

I initially thought it could be something sinister too. But as it has never closed me out of a trade, I don't think it something they do on purpose. Perhaps you should ask them.

kriesau said:
Had a very good day so I REALLY couldn't resist this FC.

Monday: 7 pt loss on the SPX
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: 2 wins on the Dow = 56 pts + 1 loss = 19pts. Sub Total = 37 pts
Today: Ahead and still open: 3 Dow shorts = 479 pts + 1 Nasdaq short = 22 pts, 1 zero trade on SPX = 501 pts net

Total so far this week: 531 pts from2 wins, 2 losses and 4 open positions.
Everyone have a really great day tomorrow - I will still be short :)

Well done!!! :)

. The spikes on the FTSE ususally happen around 10.15 - 10.30am. However I've never seen quite so many spikes in one days trading.

You can get a lot of spikes at times on the FTSE if the book is thin on one side, sometime a sneaky one share AT trade can be enough for a spike!

i have also just checked T&S with a price filter and there were no trades executed below $24.40 that I can see during the regular session