UK Politics

What’s everyone’s thoughts on John Bercow ? Often surrounded by controversy and calls for him to resign, I think he is great commodity to the house, seems very fair, intelligent and eloquent chap with a sense of humour.....

Good value in a difficult job coping with the naughty children.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on John Bercow ? Often surrounded by controversy and calls for him to resign, I think he is great commodity to the house, seems very fair, intelligent and eloquent chap with a sense of humour.....

Agree he has a sense of humour and can do the job well, as long as he doesn't break the law then no problem. It's a bit suss though that he is accused of bullying/harassment and nothing comes of it, given the amount of cover-ups and lack of transparency in govt these days, I'll keep an open mind.

I guess its a very fine line between having a "stern word" and "bullying" with the political snowflakes down there. Agree with Pat, he has his work cut out...

He's great at chairing proceedings in the House.

But all MP's at some point said to themselves, "I want a cushy job with lots of expenses, a PA, no performance targets, a massive salary and a pension deal."

Nothing really wrong with any of that, but I wish they would print it on their election leaflets.

Roll on Friday the 13th :LOL:

Attachments

• A balloon and a loon.jpg
    A balloon and a loon.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 139
At last the Govt has shown some initiative over foreign take overs. But it falls short of a proper position. The company workers should have a say in whether they want a foreign take over. A 75% vote against such a move by employees should be enough to stop it before the business disappears off to the Far East like Arm Holdings.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/new...-foreign-takeovers/ar-BBL0FSk?ocid=spartanntp

Where's the evidence that blocking a foreign take-over of a British firm is economically better for the UK?

Where's the evidence that blocking a foreign take-over of a British firm is economically better for the UK?

i think the premise is giving foreign powers an advantage for example china buying out a uk semiconductor company that enabled it to build a railgun. So i think it is more a political move economical.

The example I gave of Arm Holdings Ltd. did I think re-locate to Japan taking all the company's patents with it. Of course not only will this information not be so available especially if it is defence related but a lot of jobs were lost too in Cambridge. That is why the employees should have a say in the matter imho.
The financial vultures obviously targeted the firm and pocketed a shedload of money too !! How does that help this country ? The tax was minimul in proportion to lost effort making this company from scratch, which now pays tax to its new country.
Selling off a country's best and core industries is very short sighted.

On this issue I agree with Trumpism not globalisation.

Its a shame for the ARM employees who lost their jobs. But in a wider sense, the purchase price paid for the company would have been way more than its set-up costs, so there would be a net increase in finances available to the British vendors to re-invest. If British company owners invest primarily in the UK, as you imply, that would be economically good for the UK, could possibly even have led to larger employment in total numbers.

Cracking down on this sort of business transaction could have very negative consequences for the UK.

But maybe there is some evidence that you can point to?

Its a shame for the ARM employees who lost their jobs. But in a wider sense, the purchase price paid for the company would have been way more than its set-up costs, so there would be a net increase in finances available to the British vendors to re-invest. If British company owners invest primarily in the UK, as you imply, that would be economically good for the UK, could possibly even have led to larger employment in total numbers.

Cracking down on this sort of business transaction could have very negative consequences for the UK.

But maybe there is some evidence that you can point to?

Well what about Cadburies then ? Kraft promised the Bristol factory would remain open but within 3 weeks it was closed down.
We have little pride in our companies ? and why ? Because there is little teamwork when the top echelon of management are on 6 or even 7 figure salaries and the workers are on peanuts. It's NOT good enough and totally UNFAIR.
Pure capitalism stinks and is not the most efficient of systems either. It is high time the workers were properly treated as human beings not digits on the computer.

Well what about Cadburies then ? Kraft promised the Bristol factory would remain open but within 3 weeks it was closed down.
We have little pride in our companies ? and why ? Because there is little teamwork when the top echelon of management are on 6 or even 7 figure salaries and the workers are on peanuts. It's NOT good enough.
The pitfalls of capitalism. Its a love hate relationship that feeds greed and self gain but also hopes and a fair chance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We have little pride in our companies ? and why ? Because there is little teamwork when the top echelon of management are on 6 or even 7 figure salaries and the workers are on peanuts. It's NOT good enough and totally UNFAIR.
Pure capitalism stinks and is not the most efficient of systems either. It is high time the workers were properly treated as human beings not digits on the computer.

Capitalism sure has its faults – but do you know of a better system?

Nobody forced Cadburys to sell (to anyone). The British owners decided to take the money and having made that decision, they got the best deal they could. That money is then fee for investment in British jobs.

Kraft made a promise they would do something they were not legally obliged to do and later changed their plans. Well, so what about it? It was their company. And how can politicians complain of all people? Has a politician never said one thing and done another?

Actually, maybe Cadburys were in a corner and were forced to sell the firm. Maybe because the British management and ownership had run it so badly it was going to be broken up internally or just wound up anyway.

What the workers earn and what managers earn is irrelevant to the nationality of the money that's behind the company. Employers buy labour at the lowest rate available. Workers sell their labour at the highest rate available. British firms don't have a reputation for over-paying

I feel a much better system would be to treat the workers as a valuable part of the TEAM not just dummies without much say or pay.

They should have a say in the running of the company that employs them. The old 19th century idea that they should be obedient to the boss and can be sold off like cattle is not only degrading, it is counter productive. There have been a whole bunch of very unable people right at the top of major UK companies who have done remarkably badly. ***** like Fred the shred leap to mind. Our major banks are a mere shadow of their former recent selves after being mismanaged. Companies like Lloyds, RBS, Co-op etc. If knowledgeable underlings had spoken out before disaster happened they might still be great companies.

I would recommend lower salaries for the top echelon and more scrutiny. Wouldn't you like to know what your senior management is doing ? It needs a worker's representative on the board of directors by law and more discussion.

The capitalists don't seem to care a jot about their employees. Just how much money the CEO etc.of the company is making. Pure GREED.