Trading with point and figure

Canta

my own opinion
ur position size might be too big for your nerves
the 12440 long..possibly not a bad spot to go in...yu did not know tha trump healthcare ws going to make it tank
on 1 min bars...there is a signal to go long...possibly after a big move down..it needs confirmation.ie a double botom

just my 2 cents

Canta

my own opinion
the 12440 long..possibly not a bad spot to go in...yu did not know tha trump healthcare ws going to make it tank
on 1 min bars...there is a signal to go long...possibly after a big move down..it needs confirmation.ie a double botom

just my 2 cents

True about the Trump but it's also true that I wasn't ready when I should have been. In all honesty I shouldn't have been going Long at all in the context of my main position.

You're probably right about position size as well, though I have to say that whilst I'm heavily long from 300 right through to 400 odd the position is protected and still in the money quite a way. I have been doing a bit of scalping to tweak the position and pay for the roll as time drags on but I'm having a rethink, being considerably less bullish than I was a couple of weeks back.

Watching a fairly good unrealised profit dwindle so quickly is a bit sobering and that's not position size on its own but all my other failings as well.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Canta

my own opinion

just my 2 cents

Talking of bet size.

My take on it is to bet no more than 0.1% of your account, ie if your act is £1000 your bet is £1. This way a mere 50 points per day will double your account each month.

And you can sleep at night!

Canta

my own opinion

just my 2 cents

a quick look
yu went long about 12.30 lunchtime yesterday
price was still in a downtrend on 1 min...so watch bounce off rez

sorry to be so intrusive...everybody is still learning here...despite our high pip count

bears got lucky...cos of Trump...it probably would have got some support

who knows...lol

- Data and events schedule rather minimalist: digesting Japan monthly Tankan,
awaiting US Housing Starts, EIA oil inventories and another round of US
Q2 Corporate earnings; Germany to sell 30-yr, UK to sell 5-yr

- US Housing Starts: rebound expected after May weighed down by unexpectedly
weak multi-unit starts

- EUR/USD - rate differential expectations offers counter to USD's politics
related weakness

- Charts: EUR/USD vs. IMM positioning; Eurodollar/Euribor spread; WTI price
and historical volatility, RBOB Gasoline future

** EVENTS PREVIEW **

Outside of the US Housing Starts, Q2 Corporate Earnings and the US-China Comprehensive Economic Dialogue talks, today's schedule looks set to ensure that trading in most asset classes will likely be 99.9% perspiration and a nano-microcosm of inspiration. The market narrative around the persistent failure of Congress to pass a Health Care bill is notable for that fact that the USD and US equities to a lesser degree are persistently sold off on the various failures, yet have largely not rallied in recent months in anticipation of any bill being passed. A similar false narrative surrounds the EUR, where every ECB 'tapering' (N.B. not tightening) story prompts another leg higher, yet a look at where US and EUR rates are likely to be in 12 months' time as represented by the attached chart of the spread between June 2018 Euribor & Eurodollar futures underlines a) a still large premium for USD, and b) minimal change in the differential since the start of Q2, and c) the chart of EUR/USD vs. the IMM COT EUR positioning highlights that the EUR net long is at an 8-yr high. As has been seen in everything from 10-yr Treasuries, Gold, Silver, Corn, Wheat, Coffee to Sugar, stretched positioning frequently ends with a sometimes quite brutal retrenchment.

** U.S.A. - June Housing Starts **
- Following on from the setback in the NAHB Housing Market Index (64 vs. expected 67, June revised down to 66), which was the lowest reading since November, but still very robust by any historical standard, today sees Housing Starts. These are expected to bounce back from May's much weaker than expected 1.092 Mln SAAR pace to 1.16 Mln, predicated on the assumption that the sharp drop in the (ever volatile) multiple housing units component was aberrant, with risks likely skewed to the upside. In passing it is also worth noting that growth in the volume of housing under construction has slowed quite sharply over the past 3 months from nearly 20% in February to just under 6% in May, a pace which is likely to be insufficient to meet current strong demand for housing.

from Marc Ostwald

a quick look
yu went long about 12.30 lunchtime yesterday
price was still in a downtrend on 1 min...so watch bounce off rez

sorry to be so intrusive...everybody is still learning here...despite our high pip count

Not intrusive at all!

I didn't do my homework and was bored. I should have taken my first profit that I got earlier and sat on my hands until I got a proper set-up.

...ML's point on how to position size is fair enough. I tend to act as if a protected in the money trade doesn't exist any more and I think this is a mistake.

On the learning thing: after a few months of lurking about I'm beginning to understand more or less what you're doing and occasionally, how you're doing it. Essentially, my principal problem is the same as every beginner's / part-timer's: what you "feel" and can do in your sleep after 10+ years peeing and effing and trading generally is something that takes me a conscious effort.

I am improving, slowly, and have found that concentrating on just a few subjects has increased my profitability but it's following what you and ML are up to that's really been the best for me.

DAX updated chart for this morning, nothing changed much, but we did hit my 480 area and dropped back to 420. easy 80 pips up and down, if you got up early, unlike me this morning! I am not a morning person.

mb0t8m.jpg

DAX updated chart for this morning, nothing changed much, but we did hit my 480 area and dropped back to 420. easy 80 pips up and down, if you got up early, unlike me this morning! I am not a morning person.

mb0t8m.jpg

Pumping with first trend res @ 460, there now.