The Next US President

The odds at smarkets on Trump not to be the Republican candidate on 8th November are about 20/1. I'm surprised these odds are not longer. So what happens if Trump is not the Republican candidate, who will then stand for them? Mike Pence?

Trump seems to have wanted and succeeded in a big measure to get the attention, not only of the rednecks but many oddballs around the world. He did this with outlandish remarks and fruity opinions. Maybe he will drop out at the last moment as his coup de gras or his finale. I can't see him dociley sitting in the Whitehouse while Congress fiddles.

Trump seems to have wanted and succeeded in a big measure to get the attention, not only of the rednecks but many oddballs around the world. He did this with outlandish remarks and fruity opinions. Maybe he will drop out at the last moment as his coup de gras or his finale. I can't see him dociley sitting in the Whitehouse while Congress fiddles.

Yes I can imagine that too. Does he really want to be President? The thing is, who goes forward if he does drop out?

Most bookies have Hillary ahead at 4/11.
But what a coup if he does drop out and Pence gets in at 500/1 !

trump won't drop out, he's having too much fun.

narracists need attention, and lots of it.

trump won't drop out, he's having too much fun.

narracists need attention, and lots of it.

I don't think so either. But the consensus at smarkets seems to be that there's a 1 in 20 chance he will.

I don't think so either. But the consensus at smarkets seems to be that there's a 1 in 20 chance he will.

watch him, he loves firing up that crowd that hangs on his every word.

this is more attention than he's had in many yrs.

He is due in Court on rape charges, on the day after the election.
Hillary may be sent to jail for the email lies.
Could they both end up in jail ?
Well yes.

The pick of the bunch ? I hope not.

47% of UK betting activity on the US election involves Trump, whilst Clinton attracts 41% of activity.
This is not to say that the bets are outright support for either candidate, but simply bets that feature these candidates. So clearly, Trump bets attracting more interest.

Attachments

• shortening-odds-trump.PNG
    shortening-odds-trump.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 47%.PNG
    47%.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 102
47% of UK betting activity on the US election involves Trump, whilst Clinton attracts 41% of activity.
This is not to say that the bets are outright support for either candidate, but simply bets that feature these candidates. So clearly, Trump bets attracting more interest.

When you only have two horses racing it doesnt matter which one you bet on .

Best possible exit route from this tragic farce would be for Hillary Clinton to be elected (so I get my win from the bookie), then gets impeached and disqualified before she can take office

I don't believe a president-elect can be impeached. He/She has to be in office first. Nor can a president be impeached for actions or events that took place PRIOR to inaugeration day, Friday January 20, 2017.

This is how I interpret the impeachment laws.

Peter

I don't believe a president-elect can be impeached. He/She has to be in office first. Nor can a president be impeached for actions or events that took place PRIOR to inaugeration day, Friday January 20, 2017.

Peter

Damn me you might well be right.

Maybe a person can be disqualified from holding office if convicted of a prior criminal offence which is serious enough?

Peter

So at least one of them could go on a crime spree and expect to be let off ?

Surely not ?

Maybe a person can be disqualified from holding office if convicted of a prior criminal offence which is serious enough?

I don't think so. From wikipedia:

"Clause 5: Qualifications for office[edit]

Beginning of the clause in the 1787 document
Section 1 of Article Two of the United States Constitution sets forth the eligibility requirements for serving as president of the United States:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

But how ridiculous it would be to take up office having been convicted of a crime, knowing that Congress wanted to impeach you once you got there.