The 50% rule!?!

So whats the point of this rubbish??? I use a 50% account rule when I spreadbet... this means my trade risk and ROI is always 50% of my account size until I loose or win a predetermined amount of trades...

Then sometimes I use the 50% Fib level when trading breakouts & pullbacks ???

I hope something more interesting come out of this I really do... this guy is being a dick...

Of course nothing interesting will come out of it. Thing about interesting stuff in trading is, there really aren't any.

Wow sounds to me like most people just want to poo poo on any idea they don't understand right off the bat! If you remember I was not expecting most people to know about this as I have only ever seen it twice. And one of the two they just made the observation without putting much importance on it. The second one they worshipped it as the closest thing to the holy grail.
Closest is a relative term to me.

A couple of quick answers...
Not a whole lot to do with cycles.
You are correct in that 50% rule could mean anything.
It involves price action.

And if you have any idea that is any where near the correct idea this should give it away...
it almost always involves a strong trend.

Something tells me I should just drop it and keep it to my self.
If anyone is truly interested in discussing it like grown ups on a private thread(a poo poo free private thread)please send me a private message.

Things that would be discussed would be:
What it is
If it holds any true value
How to go about trading with it.

hope everyone has had a great day trading!!

Wow sounds to me like most people just want to poo poo on any idea they don't understand right off the bat! If you remember I was not expecting most people to know about this as I have only ever seen it twice. And one of the two they just made the observation without putting much importance on it. The second one they worshipped it as the closest thing to the holy grail.
Closest is a relative term to me.

A couple of quick answers...
Not a whole lot to do with cycles.
You are correct in that 50% rule could mean anything.
It involves price action.

And if you have any idea that is any where near the correct idea this should give it away...
it almost always involves a strong trend.

Something tells me I should just drop it and keep it to my self.
If anyone is truly interested in discussing it like grown ups on a private thread(a poo poo free private thread)please send me a private message.

Things that would be discussed would be:
What it is
If it holds any true value
How to go about trading with it.

hope everyone has had a great day trading!!

It makes no difference really. I would keep it to myself and mint me some cash.

I have a quick question that I was wondering if anyone could answer for me...

How do you use the 50% rule. For that matter what is the 50% rule mean to you?

Just wondering cause I have a renewed interest that I will explain later.

Price goes down 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time it goes up.

I stick with it - there is no 50% rule in TRADING. Dilesh found a nice video that shows a couple of occasions in the last 15 years where a 50% level was significant, but this cannot be a TRADING strategy. This observation has a long-term time horizon but I cannot believe it is a used strategy for long-term investors.

As for the significance of a given FTSE100 level being confirmed by the FT30, that's not convincing at all as both are dominated by the same large-caps, and most of the time these indices are within a few % of each other in relative terms.

I stick with it - there is no 50% rule in TRADING. Dilesh found a nice video that shows a couple of occasions in the last 15 years where a 50% level was significant, but this cannot be a TRADING strategy.

The video does not show what I'm talking about. If you don't want there to be a 50% rule then for you there never will be. That's not a bad thing just means that everyone is different. What I'm talking about could be referred to as "The 50% Rule" as it is WAY more common than what was showed in the video. Works well enough IMHO to be referred to as a "rule" of the markets. To be honest I have about completed a trading strategy around my version of the 50% rule and I'm beginning to thing bringing it up at all was a mistake.:mad:

Oh well, sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Trident? If I am correct, I would love to discuss it with you privately.

I have to be honest with you I don't know what that is. If what I'm talking about is, or is like trident then it is on accident. Could you give me at least a hint about trident? A private message would be fine to do so in if you don't want to explain your self publicly. I know how that can lead to some people being a bit rude about their opinions of your ideas. That's one of the reasons I'm not just coming out with this 50% rule.
Maybe I should and just get over myself for the good of other traders.(or the ridicule of me). At least I think it would be the good of traders. MAYBE it would cause the collapse of the financial world as we know it if every knew this! OK, I think I'm thinking a little much of myself again!

I was being slightly obtuse to frustrate the nay sayers! Trident is the Trident Trading Strategy by Charles Lindsay. It was the work that lead to Dobson's book mentioned earlier, so I understand. It is based on the concept of the 50% retracement and what to do with it, hence my guess that it may have been what you had in mind.

I, for one, encourage you to spill the beans. Don't worry about screwing up the financial markets - the banks have just done it - no-one will notice if it happens again.

I was being slightly obtuse to frustrate the nay sayers! Trident is the Trident Trading Strategy by Charles Lindsay. It was the work that lead to Dobson's book mentioned earlier, so I understand. It is based on the concept of the 50% retracement and what to do with it, hence my guess that it may have been what you had in mind.

I, for one, encourage you to spill the beans. Don't worry about screwing up the financial markets - the banks have just done it - no-one will notice if it happens again.

I see, if your up for the old style 50% retracement Andrews pitchfork is my favorite.
But, again, this is not about a 50% "retracement". Not all of it anyway.
I know, I know, makes it clear as mud.

Hi hwsteele -

There is at this moment no 50% rule: if there was, we would know about it. I grant you may have figured out a way to use a 50% ratio in trading, the 50% ratio has a significance in Fibionacci retracements, and it may figure in other assessments of the market. And this might come to be recognised as a rule, but there is no such thing right now.

Its no good you being coy about what it is, and asking traders here what they think or understand of it, and then being snippy when you don't get the fawning responses you seem to be seeking when there is no such thing except, possibly, in your research.

If you have figured out a way to use a 50% ratio in trading, but you're not going to share it, why did you bring it up?

So whats the point of this rubbish??? I use a 50% account rule when I spreadbet... this means my trade risk and ROI is always 50% of my account size until I loose or win a predetermined amount of trades...

Then sometimes I use the 50% Fib level when trading breakouts & pullbacks ???

I hope something more interesting come out of this I really do... this guy is being a dick...

I have quick question...Is "this guy" me?

Hi hwsteele -

There is at this moment no 50% rule: if there was, we would know about it. I grant you may have figured out a way to use a 50% ratio in trading, the 50% ratio has a significance in Fibionacci retracements, and it may figure in other assessments of the market. And this might come to be recognised as a rule, but there is no such thing right now.

Its no good you being coy about what it is, and asking traders here what they think or understand of it, and then being snippy when you don't get the fawning responses you seem to be seeking when there is no such thing except, possibly, in your research.

If you have figured out a way to use a 50% ratio in trading, but you're not going to share it, why did you bring it up?

Well I did not intend to be snippy at all, but if you could just for, a little bit, think this way...
You say "there is no such thing except, possibly, in your research." that would be cool if I were the only person who ever noticed this, but I know I'm not. I also think that if the other people named it, it might have 50% in the name. Or at least give enough away so they would know what I'm talking about. If I did find those people then I could discuss it with them with out having to explain everything about it.
It's fun posting stuff that most have never seen before as I did with the Time thread, but it would be nicer to have a small group of people to talk with on a continual basis about it all. I guess that's what I was really trying to do for this method.

Again, every one is different so you never know how many 50% rules are out there until you ask.

I'm interested in your ideas about strategy, but know very little about the history of trading, and understand if you wish to share them only with experienced members who already know all the details.

The 50 Percent Retracement and Measured Move Rule
At a 50% retracement, both buyers and sellers of the previous trend (Up or Down) are in balance. Half of each of them holds profits and half of each holds losses.

What a waste of internet bandwidth. If there is some magic "rule" then lets hear about it. Otherwise ........

Somehow I don't think so :cheesy:

You're fishing aren't you hwsteele ? ;)

Anyway, a question for you if I may.

Assuming zero comes first, which comes last, 50% or 100% ?

dd

What the 50% rule means to me, is that (1) when there is a move away from the mean, there will be a move back to the mean, and (2) the move back towards the mean will have as much value and opportunity as the move away from the mean. In fact this was the basis of my original strategy.