Swing trades

Mr Piker et al,......

Can we get back on track?

Ok!

So 3 trades.
2 losses (let's say 1 unit of risk on each so we are -2units.
The third trade, let's say you made 1unit of risk.

So we stand at -1unit thus far.

Ok, good.

Now. It is sunday, markets are opening in 5 hours or so.
You should have your trades for this week planned already.
What are you watching? And what are you going to do when the market opens?

I am expecting charts with a plan on.
Let's have a look.

PS. Regarding the previous 5 or so pages since friday. My only comment about holding over weekends is that "each to their own" on this one...... some guys dont like to hold long, some guys dont mind..... but there is one thing to bear in mind. If a lot of folk close out friday and then buy (or sell) back into the market monday morning...... are you seeing it?? Yes, there is a premium paid to those that are happy to hold over the weekend...... and guess what, if you take this trade that others are afraid to take, you get paid....... i have a firm belief that to "be paid" by the market... you need to provide a service.... if that involves holding longs or shorts over a weekend, i'll do it!

Ok, let's see those charts, what you got in mind for the week?

Last edited:
I am planning to go Long SPX on the open, charts attached.

Attachments

• weekly_view.jpg
    weekly_view.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 156
  • daily_view.jpg
    daily_view.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 4hour_view.jpg
    4hour_view.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 162
Piker,
Good to see all three timeframes of the same instrument in one post and clearly marked up. However, unless I've misunderstood your trade plan (quite possible) if you were going to take this trade, you should have got in it last Thursday the 10th. Price has made lower lows while the histogram has started to turn up. However, the first green bar of the histo' appeared in the mid morning on the 10th. See large green arrow on chart, below:
piker_SPX_4hour_13.12.09.jpg
Your plan - as detailed so far, doesn't specify what your entry trigger is, Be that as it may, to get in now looks to me as if you've missed the boat and you are now chasing the trade. If I'm wrong - and I hope I am - please can you outline the finer points of your entry strategy once the first green bar of the histo' has printed?
Cheers,
Tim.

Under what circumstances would you exit?

At the moment stop is 1085 SPX, but I am ready to re-consider, need advice on that from thread participants, I am looking at stats of using stops based on previous Monthly bar's lows.

Target is based on signal running its coarse on 4 hour chart, but I will then have to see what is happening on Daily chart.

Piker,
Good to see all three timeframes of the same instrument in one post and clearly marked up. However, unless I've misunderstood your trade plan (quite possible) if you were going to take this trade, you should have got in it last Thursday the 10th. Price has made lower lows while the histogram has started to turn up. However, the first green bar of the histo' appeared in the mid morning on the 10th. See large green arrow on chart, below:
View attachment 71348
Your plan - as detailed so far, doesn't specify what your entry trigger is, Be that as it may, to get in now looks to me as if you've missed the boat and you are now chasing the trade. If I'm wrong - and I hope I am - please can you outline the finer points of your entry strategy once the first green bar of the histo' has printed?
Cheers,
Tim.

I did mention that any divergence will have to be confirmed by price taking out current resistance on 4 hour chart (see horizontal line?)

This trade is not a new trade, but a continuation of the one from last week.

From last week: Long S&P500 cash 1104.9, stop 1085

Target 1120

Changing target to 1200 SPX

Last edited:
Hi Mr Piker,
Great post regarding your trade plan.
Couple of things that jump out at me....

1. On the weekly chart, I would want to see what happened to the price last time we were trading here (ie. i want to see the stuff missing on the left hand side of your chart, scrunch it up if necessary (like the charts i posted) 2006 wasnt that long ago! It might give away some important levels.

2. One thing I would also have on this chart is the fib lines. Where do we stand in regards to retracing the high? Obviously by sight, we look somewhere near the 50% fib. And that is definitely something to be aware of...... ie. You can go long for sure off the open but to know where these key levels lie is of high importance.......!

Note to Timsk.
I believe Mr Piker is just re-instating his long from friday (opened thursday) as he didnt want to hold a long over the weekend (event risk)....... up to him.......

Also, I am assuming you are trading adequate size so that you can remove 1/2 of a position if you wanted to, coz a 1 lot isnt going to cut mustard, you need to have a workable trade size,,. etc etc?

EUR I will not be trading until the time it retraces further

Same for GOLD

On the S&P - Hmmm, i was just thinking if I was a range trader, I would be thinking about going short right away, or even better on a peak in quotes pre- or just post-open tomorrow. 1108-1111 for short entry would be fine, with 1114 as stop, 1093 target. Its not something I do but how does this sound?

Interesting thread, though I haven't contributed until tonight.
I have also earlier today entered a buy on gold at just above Friday's high, though breach of Friday's low would negate this order. If executed, Friday's low would be stop.

Mr Piker,
Would it be ok if we stuck to 1 instrument at a time?
Just so we can keep things simple and try to get as much help to you as possible.

And one more thing.... you say "bullish" on your macd histogram....... many would also call that "overbought".......

For me, your trade choice is up to you (as is your choice of indicators).

Mr Piker,
Would it be ok if we stuck to 1 instrument at a time?
Just so we can keep things simple and try to get as much help to you as possible.

OK, I will only post SPX trades here, though I do not like the idea of keeping all eggs in 1 basket. What I do is take overall risk of around 1% capital & divide it equally between 2-3 instrument's stops.

And one more thing.... you say "bullish" on your macd histogram....... many would also call that "overbought".......

To me it is bullish, it was rising from below, it crossed, it is green. Now we have price over intermediate resistance on 4 hour chart. That is how I read it.

For me, your trade choice is up to you (as is your choice of indicators).

Cool

Here is the extended Weekly SPX chart

1121 is 50% retracement

Attachments

• weekly_extended.jpg
    weekly_extended.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
ok, in no particular order to just get you thinking:

1. 1120 is the fib level that represents the 50% retracement from the years low and is seen as a significant level in the market. I don't do fib personally but can see why resistance would be here. 1135 is the one where real resistance will be met. Look on your weekly.

2. The active range for the last month for spot has been 1085 up to 1120. A push though 1120 to a new high would require some good fundamental news and looking at the calendar for the remainder of this year, I would be surprised if anything provided this momentum coming out of Europe, US or Asia.

3. I think your stop should be below the support at 1085. It's been happily bouncing of it 4-5 times over the last month and drove though it significantly at one point.

4. There was thin volume driving pre-market up on Friday after Thursday's drive up from 1085 which was institutional and pre-empted good news - this is why it sat in a tight range on Thursday's RTH. What friday's behaviour tells me (including the gap and it's eventual filling) is there is little appetite for driving prices up on a fundamental basis now. So price is likely to drift up as latecomers force it to 1120 but without sound fundamental basis. The uninformed are hoovering once again late to the party off news that was known before it was announced.

5. On the 16th Dec, the fed will decide it's interest rate. This interest rate decision will determine whether it pushes though 1120 or not imo. I don't think the fed are about to do anything now. If it does burst through 1120 it will be shortlived.

Is 1200 a feasible target? Even with Christmas being the season of goodwill?

Here is the extended Weekly SPX chart

Regarding multiple instruments, i dont mind if you are flat everything and want to trade the Kospi, but threads can get crazy if you have posts on spx, eurusd, nifty and... and .. etc etc.....

So let's do 1 at a time for analysis but please post any other trades you take as many people get long dax, ftse and dow, then very quickly find out that they are highly correlated and lose across the board, or you get guys that go long one thing, find a short on something else and repeat..... and then find that they are just net flat.

So it's important we see everything.

Last edited:
ok, in no particular order to just get you thinking:

1. 1120 is the fib level that represents the 50% retracement from the years low and is seen as a significant level in the market. I don't do fib personally but can see why resistance would be here. 1135 is the one where real resistance will be met. Look on your weekly.

2. The active range for the last month for spot has been 1085 up to 1120. A push though 1120 to a new high would require some good fundamental news and looking at the calendar for the remainder of this year, I would be surprised if anything provided this momentum coming out of Europe, US or Asia.

3. I think your stop should be below the support at 1085. It's been happily bouncing of it 4-5 times over the last month and drove though it significantly at one point.

4. There was thin volume driving pre-market up on Friday after Thursday's drive up from 1085 which was institutional and pre-empted good news - this is why it sat in a tight range on Thursday's RTH. What friday's behaviour tells me (including the gap and it's eventual filling) is there is little appetite for driving prices up on a fundamental basis now. So price is likely to drift up as latecomers force it to 1120 but without sound fundamental basis. The uninformed are hoovering once again late to the party off news that was known before it was announced.

5. On the 16th Dec, the fed will decide it's interest rate. This interest rate decision will determine whether it pushes though 1120 or not imo. I don't think the fed are about to do anything now. If it does burst through 1120 it will be shortlived.

Is 1200 a feasible target? Even with Christmas being the season of goodwill?

All valid points, can't argue there. I do see an ascending triangle, trend still intact on monthly, weekly, daily. Regarding current stop, I will be re-thinking it, currently looking at previous monthly bar's lows, they seem to be left along more often than not. I know it may invert risk vs reward, but maybe strength is in monthly bars & if taken into account reward may be smaller than risk? What do you think?

BRAKES ON - X-Factor finals!!!

Mr Piker,
So your target is still 1120 for this trade right?
And your stop 1085(ish) ?

Ok..... couple of things..... you took the decision to close out on friday and reopen at the open. Tell me the spread provided by your broker? And the cost therefore incurred? Now tell me how many points you are looking to get out of this trade?

The answer is not great is it?

(just seen your post above.... you figured the point out already).

I'll start with an SPX chart; Which is the S&P 500 cash index as used by the CBOE exchange in options trading.

Pretty Syndyd.png

Monthly Chart analysis of $SPX

1.png

One thing about the TA in that chart; is that its more for 'reference' and 'interest' than to actually trade... The 'channel' is just to place on the chart as a reference rather than of any plan to short @ the high... Its just suppose to act as a guidance to ' What price has done'.

ES H0 which is the E-mini S&P 500 march contract Analysis:
24-hour 60-minute chart;

Pretty Syndy2.png

Ignore previous low liquidity.

I try centre my S/R numbers around the 5's (Which are all the options strike prices)
so for example

First level is the 1080.00 area
Next is 1095.00 Level
Next is the 1105 area

I'm a scalper so these levels are really more for reference that anything else; I look for initial bounces and also just look for opportunities to fade price around these areas.

Breakouts of the 1105 area have been false.
Breakouts of 1080.00 have been false (for the most part)
1095 has provided many short term bounces.
1100.00 is a scalper 00' level.

Another thing is, I only draw them when i'm sure i'm going to use them, i don't draw them 'for the sake of it' or when i'm 'unsure' or to try 'catch every bounce' - Only the ones i definately intend to use.

Other levels to watch on a 60-minute chart;
Previous Week Hi/Low
Previous Month High/Low
Weekly Pivots
Monthly Pivots
Big Daily S/R

Once again; I'll say don't draw S/R for the sake of it, only draw when your confident in them. Or you'll always exit early through fear of a bounce, having forgot that it wasn't an important level...

Now if we go into your trade on a daily Chart;
You have identified an uptrend...
You have identified we are currently in a range...
Don't you want to be buying the 'Pullback/Support' Rather than waiting for confirmation
For example; If you deem that the current S&P 500 is a good buy, on reasoning that considers the variables that you think are important to Supply and Demand...
So we've established;
1. You want in

2.png

How can we make this trade as profitable as possible? Buying after a decent pullback Or Buying @ support.

Buying the pullback or Support is not the REASON for entry though; Something else is, they just help you get an 'appropriate/good price'.

So your aiming for a 'low price'
If you Buy TOMMOROW;
(If we Open @ Fridays close) then you, as you can see, will be buying quite high... You may have therefore 'missed your chance'.

You would be buying Resistance. Or the 'False breakout zone'

They are just a few ideas on how you could enter a market you want to be in....

A look @ 14th Dec - 18th Dec in terms of economic news.

View attachment 14th_December_-_18th_December.pdf

http://mam.econoday.com/reports/rc/...rchive/12-14-09/index.html?cust=mam&year=2009

http://mam.econoday.com/reports/rc/...rchive/12-14-09/index.html?cust=mam&year=2009

http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php

Wednesday will be an important day; One you want to 'stay-in tune for' to have the right sentiment on the market.

Cheers :)

Friday Market Summary from Investors perspective: (From Investors.com)

Stocks Close Mixed As Volume Once Again Drops

The major indexes closed mixed Friday, but two recent patterns remained intact.

First, the low-volume trend persisted. Second, the Nasdaq once again crossed the 2200 level only to be kicked back down.

The Dow led with a 0.6% pop. The S&P 500 and the NYSE composite added 0.4% and 0.3%, respectively. The Nasdaq was a little short of break-even.

Volume was down 10% on the Nasdaq and 4% on the NYSE.

The IBD 100 fell 0.3%. For the week, it slid 0.7% — in line with the NYSE composite but trailing the other major indexes.

News was surprisingly strong on Friday, but that did little to inspire the market.

November retail sales were much better than expected. The Reuters/University of Michigan consumer sentiment index also came in better than anticipated. U.S. business inventories rose in October for the first time in more than a year, and China's November exports showed the smallest drop of 2009.

But while three of the four major indexes stretched upward, the stretch was more suggestive of a yawn than a gain. Enthusiasm is a missing factor in this market, and below-average volume confirms that reality.

If bulls were left grasping at straws last week, they found a few. At least one stock broke out every day of the week.

China-Biotics (CHBT) broke out last Monday in fast trade. Investors, however, would've had to consider two negatives. First, the dietary supplements stock is thinly traded. Second, the handle was low in relation to the whole base. A low handle is prone to failure.

By Friday, China-Biotics had slid under its 15.50 buy point.

On Tuesday, Clearwater Paper (CLW) broke out of a base-on-base in heavy volume. It's just 2% past its 51.92 buy point.

American Superconductor (AMSC) cleared a base Wednesday. The maker of wind turbines and electrical control systems is now 8% extended from its 35.88 buy point.

On Thursday, two stocks cleared their buy points.

Starbucks (SBUX) broke out of a three-weeks-tight pattern in heavy volume. It remains 1% above the 22.20 buy point.

The second was Tech Data (TECD). It punched past a 44.89 buy point in a high handle and then stalled.

Russian dairy giant Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods (WBD) cleared a 21.60 buy point in a high handle in lackluster volume Friday. It closed 3% above the potential buy point.

Although it's too early to judge these breakouts, there isn't much to cheer about at this point.

Meanwhile, gold and oil futures fell Friday, while the U.S. dollar index was higher. Among industry groups, airline stocks were the day's best performer. Oil and gold stocks led the losers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a live feed of the FOMC statement on Wednesday. Try stay intune to market sentiment.

Also: On the 18th S&P 500 Index changes will occur.

Some good websites for S&P 500;
www.Ransquawk.com
www.Seekingalpha.com
www.Tradethenews.com
www.Tradersaudio.com
www.Investors.com
www.Standardandpoors.com
www.ForexFactory.com
www.Fxstreet.com
www.Bloomberg.com / Bloomberg TV
http://www.econoday.com/

Anyone got any more? I can't think of my 'usuals'

Thing about Technical Analysis is its not about making it systematic like
' A channel, Buy support'
Its about viewing whats going on in the market, the order flow and price. Whats going on in the world, News and Fundamentals = Context.
Whats the current context and how can i play it ?
To me we are in the range until something in the 'world' that is significant happens, i'll monitor a fearful reaction through the $VIX -
The failed breakouts of 1095.00 aren't important as a 'TA' perspective... Just for a sentiment/Contextual analysis.... TA should only serve to identify 'decent entries into context' and to evaluate the current contet.
So i draw lines on charts... Then i consider whats been happening; Rejections of new highs combined with the High $VIX levels at them highs.... I'm not seeing new buyers and i'm only seeing 'fear' at the new highs... Or the locking of gains. (This is a suplement to what Robster said)

Rather than try make it easy by saying ' B/O of Triangle = Long ' - Look at the Market in as much context as you can get your hands on...
The fact i can draw a triangle isn't important to me, its on looking at how order flow is reacting to these levels, what it would take to breakout with REASON and on What it must mean (for example) if we had a false B/O.
(For example)

Anyway; Thats enough :) Good luck on the coming week.

Last edited:
All valid points, can't argue there. I do see an ascending triangle, trend still intact on monthly, weekly, daily. Regarding current stop, I will be re-thinking it, currently looking at previous monthly bar's lows, they seem to be left along more often than not. I know it may invert risk vs reward, but maybe strength is in monthly bars & if taken into account reward may be smaller than risk? What do you think?

BRAKES ON - X-Factor finals!!!

LOL - sports personality for us.

Seriously, I see what you see on the charts too. It all points to a longer term continuation so why shouldn't it carry on? Bull market conditions are not well known for their respect of fundamentals.

What I do see though is the continued attempts to make newer highs (1112, 1114, 1116 an1120) and establish a trend and it's failure to do so on 4 attempts in the last month. That leads me to believe that big boys have their underlyings hedged significantly at this level up to and around 1135. Any push through this must be founded on really sound, coherent view of the world economy and despite everybody's best efforts, people are still uncertain right now.

The market is reacting equally as weirdly to bullish news as it is to bearish news. To me it looks undecided and therefore rangebound. It congratulates itself on good news but then gets easily spooked when bad sh1t happens in equal measures.

I'll be playing the range. If anything I think it'll go down rather than up after Christmas but that's because I'm a miserable sod casting doom on the world.

Mr Piker

Do you notice how much thought and planning has gone into Mr GladiatorX's post compared to yours? His trading probably has the same attention to detail, if not more. This is the kind of stuff we are looking for. Your approach still has the "i want to take a swing at it" feel......

May I suggest something...... find a reason not to trade, rather than a reason to trade......

Last edited:
I'll start with an SPX chart; Which is the S&P 500 cash index as used by the CBOE exchange in options trading.

View attachment 71354

Monthly Chart analysis of $SPX

View attachment 71356

One thing about the TA in that chart; is that its more for 'reference' and 'interest' than to actually trade... The 'channel' is just to place on the chart as a reference rather than of any plan to short @ the high... Its just suppose to act as a guidance to ' What price has done'.

ES H0 which is the E-mini S&P 500 march contract Analysis:
24-hour 60-minute chart;

View attachment 71350

Ignore previous low liquidity.

I try centre my S/R numbers around the 5's (Which are all the options strike prices)
so for example

First level is the 1080.00 area
Next is 1095.00 Level
Next is the 1105 area

I'm a scalper so these levels are really more for reference that anything else; I look for initial bounces and also just look for opportunities to fade price around these areas.

Breakouts of the 1105 area have been false.
Breakouts of 1080.00 have been false (for the most part)
1095 has provided many short term bounces.
1100.00 is a scalper 00' level.

Another thing is, I only draw them when i'm sure i'm going to use them, i don't draw them 'for the sake of it' or when i'm 'unsure' or to try 'catch every bounce' - Only the ones i definately intend to use.

Other levels to watch on a 60-minute chart;
Previous Week Hi/Low
Previous Month High/Low
Weekly Pivots
Monthly Pivots
Big Daily S/R

Once again; I'll say don't draw S/R for the sake of it, only draw when your confident in them. Or you'll always exit early through fear of a bounce, having forgot that it wasn't an important level...

Now if we go into your trade on a daily Chart;
You have identified an uptrend...
You have identified we are currently in a range...
Don't you want to be buying the 'Pullback/Support' Rather than waiting for confirmation
For example; If you deem that the current S&P 500 is a good buy, on reasoning that considers the variables that you think are important to Supply and Demand...
So we've established;
1. You want in

View attachment 71358

How can we make this trade as profitable as possible? Buying after a decent pullback Or Buying @ support.

Buying the pullback or Support is not the REASON for entry though; Something else is, they just help you get an 'appropriate/good price'.

So your aiming for a 'low price'
If you Buy TOMMOROW;
(If we Open @ Fridays close) then you, as you can see, will be buying quite high... You may have therefore 'missed your chance'.

You would be buying Resistance. Or the 'False breakout zone'

They are just a few ideas on how you could enter a market you want to be in....

A look @ 14th Dec - 18th Dec in terms of economic news.

View attachment 71360

http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php

Wednesday will be an important day; One you want to 'stay-in tune for' to have the right sentiment on the market.

Cheers :)

Friday Market Summary from Investors perspective: (From Investors.com)

Stocks Close Mixed As Volume Once Again Drops

The major indexes closed mixed Friday, but two recent patterns remained intact.

First, the low-volume trend persisted. Second, the Nasdaq once again crossed the 2200 level only to be kicked back down.

The Dow led with a 0.6% pop. The S&P 500 and the NYSE composite added 0.4% and 0.3%, respectively. The Nasdaq was a little short of break-even.

Volume was down 10% on the Nasdaq and 4% on the NYSE.

The IBD 100 fell 0.3%. For the week, it slid 0.7% — in line with the NYSE composite but trailing the other major indexes.

News was surprisingly strong on Friday, but that did little to inspire the market.

November retail sales were much better than expected. The Reuters/University of Michigan consumer sentiment index also came in better than anticipated. U.S. business inventories rose in October for the first time in more than a year, and China's November exports showed the smallest drop of 2009.

But while three of the four major indexes stretched upward, the stretch was more suggestive of a yawn than a gain. Enthusiasm is a missing factor in this market, and below-average volume confirms that reality.

If bulls were left grasping at straws last week, they found a few. At least one stock broke out every day of the week.

China-Biotics (CHBT) broke out last Monday in fast trade. Investors, however, would've had to consider two negatives. First, the dietary supplements stock is thinly traded. Second, the handle was low in relation to the whole base. A low handle is prone to failure.

By Friday, China-Biotics had slid under its 15.50 buy point.

On Tuesday, Clearwater Paper (CLW) broke out of a base-on-base in heavy volume. It's just 2% past its 51.92 buy point.

American Superconductor (AMSC) cleared a base Wednesday. The maker of wind turbines and electrical control systems is now 8% extended from its 35.88 buy point.

On Thursday, two stocks cleared their buy points.

Starbucks (SBUX) broke out of a three-weeks-tight pattern in heavy volume. It remains 1% above the 22.20 buy point.

The second was Tech Data (TECD). It punched past a 44.89 buy point in a high handle and then stalled.

Russian dairy giant Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods (WBD) cleared a 21.60 buy point in a high handle in lackluster volume Friday. It closed 3% above the potential buy point.

Although it's too early to judge these breakouts, there isn't much to cheer about at this point.

Meanwhile, gold and oil futures fell Friday, while the U.S. dollar index was higher. Among industry groups, airline stocks were the day's best performer. Oil and gold stocks led the losers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a live feed of the FOMC statement on Wednesday. Try stay intune to market sentiment.

Also: On the 18th S&P 500 Index changes will occur.

Some good websites for S&P 500;
www.Ransquawk.com
www.Seekingalpha.com
www.Tradethenews.com
www.Tradersaudio.com
www.Investors.com
www.Standardandpoors.com
www.ForexFactory.com
www.Fxstreet.com
www.Bloomberg.com / Bloomberg TV
http://www.econoday.com/

Anyone got any more? I can't think of my 'usuals'

I will say Thank You for posting the above, but me that is way too much information. I would rather die by strangulation & be eaten by an African python than involve that much analysis. To each his own, so I will show you respect & thank you again for the effort (y)

I did meat a successful trader once & he's gone about just looking at COTs & price action confirmation. I am interested in simple approaches.