Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron, you've kinda missed what Td etc have been saying with stops etc.

If you're up a decent amount where is a logical place to put your stop. If short at what point will a bounce become a rally and show that the downward trend is over?

Why didn't you take some profit, maybe close half the trade off if it was in a greater profit than your equivalant stop?

In some ways it's better not to think of it in £££'s to stop chasing every last tick.

But be logical, how much more were you hoping to make £200? well then don't risk £2000 to make £200, if you were hoping to make £5000 more then fair enough

I have a proposal for you lot.

I'll retire from this thread and start my own newbies one if you good traders visit once a day and see if you can help us at all...

That way I'm not clogging up your thread or giving you a head ache and I still get to learn off of youse.

What dya say?

I have a proposal for you lot.

I'll retire from this thread and start my own newbies one if you good traders visit once a day and see if you can help us at all...

That way I'm not clogging up your thread or giving you a head ache and I still get to learn off of youse.

What dya say?

Aaron, glad you took the hint.
Even on your new thread you need to tone it down pal and give yourself a chance to learn.
Goose

BTW - Anyone looking at gbpchf? Daily pin on decent level but I'm not going against the SNB!! Could be a good chance to get long but I don't often trade this pair as the swings can be quite large. Any clues.

oops i shorted already. there is also a 4H H&S. u can see it more clearly in 1H

Tone what down? It's a forum.

It's a good thread that some people are posting sh1t on. For those that catch up later in the day they have to sieve through the sh1t. It's 'potential set-ups' not 'go on like a madman'
Nothing personal mate, start your own thread, it's a good idea and i'll check in and join in with with banter from time to time. Just call it 'spanish in disguise'

Just to clarify things for any new comers that have joined the party late:

This is the thread that explains most of the setups we are looking at here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/26947-making-money-trading.html

This thread is a heads up for different markets (any and all are welcome) that are "setting up". The most popular type of setup will be a candlestick pattern (pin bar or inside bar being the most common) at a good s/r pivot. If this has confluence with a fib level or trend line or key moving average then the odds increase of a profitable trade.

If there is a wider pattern there (head and shoulders or flag for example) then this is good too.

We look at daily (sometimes weekly), 4hrly and 1hrly. I don't look at posts of lower TFs and I don't imagine others do either. For one, there isn't enough time if you spot something on the 5m for example for anyone else to analyse it and I, for one, believe that the higher TFs are easier and more profitable to trade.

If there are two charts that show the simplicity of this strategy and what you should be looking at it the following:

First one is a solid resistance on the weekly TF. Market breaks it and comes back to retest the level which also combines with a strong trend line (tested for the third time). You can see that the market is also making a bull flag. Price forms a PIN at the price where these levels all intersect.

The second is more simple but just as powerful. Beautiful s/r pivot presents itself on USD/CAD. Price breaks out and comes back to retest. (chart 1). Then price forms two inside days. An order above the first would not get triggered but an order above the second one leads to the start of a 3,000 pip move (chart 2)

Incidentally, if you caught and ran either of these two moves, you would realise that you can make a living trading even small size (even £1 - £2 a tick) taking 1 or 2 trades per month.

I trade perhaps once or twice per week - and yes, I live off my trading profits.

Attachments

• w.gif
    w.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 530
  • cad.gif
    cad.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 460
  • cad1.gif
    cad1.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 424
Your post is excellent to show that IT'S ABOUT WHERE PRICE IS THAT IS IMPORTANT. Sure, there will be plenty of pin bars to see and many of them will fail, but when you add levels like you've expressed in those previous charts, you're starting to create an edge for yourself.

It's where price is trading, not exactly how one bar looks. You can't put too much weight on one bar! Read the chart from left to right and see what exactly is occurring. It is simple to see in hindsight that those trades were good. In time, you'll be able to see the setups as they occur because you'll know where to be watching.

Obviously this is directed at new people who are probably trying to figure out wtf to do. A lot of people here already understand the importance of finding key levels to play with.

I have nothing going on right now so I figured I'll show a level I'm watching right now.

gbp/jpy

In the daily chart you can see multiple instances of this 140.90 level acting as both Support and Resistance. This level is definitely being watched.

Now, how it can be played. First and foremost, I'm going to have to sit patiently while I wait for price to get to this level. If price does get to this level again, I need to be aware of potential break outs. When price is persistently testing a level like that, the level can hold once, twice or eight times... it doesn't matter. But when price keeps coming back like a magnet it can show a sign that they want to get through this level. Why else would they keep testing it? Your job is to figure out if they're going to fail or succeed.

Now lets take a look at the 4h chart.

We've recently had 3 clear tests of the level where sellers have obviously won. Now, after the 3rd test, there is a march downward toward the 130.37 level I have marked. However, we've failed to get that far. That's ok though. We're now pulling back to the 140.90 key level I have marked, but it's looking like we're running into some early trouble when you look at the chart. You can see a pin bar formed before getting to the level and now price is kind of stagnant in a range afterwards, but so far the pin bar is still valid.

This pin, showing up before it could reach the key level, could be a sign of another leg heading down towards the 130.37 level. This pin bar is what I would call my last stop for the Short Sell express. If I'm going to short, that pin would be where it's at. If I entered below, I would consider it to be chasing the trade. So, it's not exactly at the key level, but let's remember that these levels aren't a specific point in price, but a zone. There's a clear indication of the 140.90 level acting as R. This is followed successive lower lows, which ultimately leads to a strong down move. Now we're pulling back to the 140.90 level and we've come across that pin, which is a good indication that there is another leg down coming. The context is bearish when you read it from left to right. It might go up and I'm completely wrong, but at least attempting to add context and make notes about it will help everyone learn quickly what works and what doesn't.

Sorry if this annoys some people, but I'm sure it can help some others as well as myself to write stuff like this out. I still have a long way to go :p

Attachments

• gj3-17d.gif
    gj3-17d.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 326
  • gj3-174h.gif
    gj3-174h.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
You can get a 90% win/loss ratio (with 3:1 average return on winners) with this strategy. If yours is not as high or not even close you are making one of the following mistakes:

Major mistakes people make.........

- They move stops to breakeven when they are up on a trade

- They take all profits at the first target rather than allowing the trade the chance to fully develop into a big winner

Hi Tom

If you enter a trade and it makes it to your first pivot zone and then rejects this level do you

1) move your stop to BE at this point,
2) exit the trade immediately, or
3) leave the stop at it at it's original position?

Regards

Roy

i like to share a potential trade.
usd/sgd
its on the verge of breaking trendline on daily. 1hr has H&S. downtrend for 4H. Also at pivot zone.
this pair is rather sensitive. once usd is weak or strong it shows quickly and sometimes gives a better picture to guage usd's strength.
If this really breaks. usd might go down hard. Although my inclination is that this will be a failed H&S and it will bounce off daily trendline. It can go either way here.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 254

Attachments

• djia.JPG
    djia.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 302
I have nothing going on right now so I figured I'll show a level I'm watching right now.

This is an absolutely fantastic post, lewtz. I will tell you right now, without a shadow of a doubt, that whether this read is right or wrong, watching the market like you are, and having a plan of what you are going to do if such and such happens, is how you will make money in the long run.

In the daily chart you can see multiple instances of this 140.90 level acting as both Support and Resistance. This level is definitely being watched.

Excellent level. And the important part of what you said is "This level is definetly being watched". Half the hard work is ALREADY done because you now know whereabouts on the chart, a meaningful move is going to occur rather than trying to jump on any move.

Now, how it can be played. First and foremost, I'm going to have to sit patiently while I wait for price to get to this level.

It doesn't get any better than this. You say at the end of your post that you "have a long way to go". If you trade like this, the road to consistency is a lot shorter than you think, mate. I promise you that.

If price does get to this level again, I need to be aware of potential break outs. When price is persistently testing a level like that, the level can hold once, twice or eight times... it doesn't matter. But when price keeps coming back like a magnet it can show a sign that they want to get through this level. Why else would they keep testing it? Your job is to figure out if they're going to fail or succeed.

Spot on again. I am actually wary of a level after it has been tested multiple times like this. After the third time, the market rejects it firmly and then after a big sell off, it comes right back up there. In my opinion, the market wants to take it out, at least to see if any bids come in above it. The market will be keen to see what interest lies above here.

Now lets take a look at the 4h chart.

We've recently had 3 clear tests of the level where sellers have obviously won. Now, after the 3rd test, there is a march downward toward the 130.37 level I have marked. However, we've failed to get that far. That's ok though. We're now pulling back to the 140.90 key level I have marked, but it's looking like we're running into some early trouble when you look at the chart. You can see a pin bar formed before getting to the level and now price is kind of stagnant in a range afterwards, but so far the pin bar is still valid..

As said above, I'd be wary why this hasn't tanked already. You've got another level (although weaker) at 138.75 and the market is making a flag here. I'd actually be running a stop above the last swing high here as the probability of this working, goes down the longer this doesn't break to the downside. This is just in my opinion...

This pin, showing up before it could reach the key level, could be a sign of another leg heading down towards the 130.37 level. This pin bar is what I would call my last stop for the Short Sell express. If I'm going to short, that pin would be where it's at. If I entered below, I would consider it to be chasing the trade. So, it's not exactly at the key level, but let's remember that these levels aren't a specific point in price, but a zone. There's a clear indication of the 140.90 level acting as R. This is followed successive lower lows, which ultimately leads to a strong down move. Now we're pulling back to the 140.90 level and we've come across that pin, which is a good indication that there is another leg down coming.

Not necessarily. Remember, a pin simply means sellers came in. This pin may just mean that traders are getting "nervous" ahead of the big level. Don't presume that a down leg is going to start...but you are right on the zone rather than the exact pivot and you are reading the chart well (lower highs etc)

The context is bearish when you read it from left to right.

I know what you mean but something I should say is that when I am looking for levels, I always try to read RIGHT to LEFT rather than left to right. This goes contrary to our natural way of reading...but market participants often put more of an emphasis on the most recent price action.

It might go up and I'm completely wrong, but at least attempting to add context and make notes about it will help everyone learn quickly what works and what doesn't.

It doesn't matter if you are wrong at all. We all get it wrong from time to time. Just make sure if you trade it, you won't lose more than a fixed amount (i.e. 2% of your account) so that you can afford to keep trading your reads...Also, make notes like you say. This is how you learn. If this doesn't work then next time, you can remember this trade and think, "last time it had three tests and stalled...it only pulled back slightly before blasting through..." This gives you a frame of reference, which is how you build up your edge.

Once again: Great post. Keep up the good work.

Like I said this morning, no way this was going down today, pin or no pin :p

Good call!

If you had managed my trade in the CAC I called earlier you could have got 50 ticks on the downside though...

Any possibility you could share your reasoning FW? Always keen to learn...

Good trading, mate.

Attachments

• cac.gif
    cac.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 236
Just a quick link for some to Strat's page over on ForexFactory
Check post #580 where there is a hyperlinked index. It's in the early stages but shaping up to be another great thread like this one.
Strat's Long Term Stress Free Trading - Page 39

He only trades the daily and uses the weekly as the boss. This may be a better starting point for many people new to trading. The downside is you need a bigger starting balance due to larger stops.

A word of caution on starting balances; don't be fooled into the market being undercapitalized. You must really start with a meaningful amount whereby you can apply proper and sound risk management. If you use your debit card (like most brokers offer - easy access to fund their coffers) you will quickly lose control of your bank balance im my view. You can't keep dipping into your current account or credit card. This, in my view is very dangerous. Trust me again; I've been there too.

I can't stress enough, that I firmly believe you must start this venture with a decent amount that will allow you to set 50-pip stops at min .50p a pip but still sticking to the 2%/6% rules of risk management. Start low and build slowly; the market is there for the rest of your life (well, bar a huge supervolcano eruption or comet strike!! LOL)

There are some who have been trading years, faced all their demons etc and can take a £100 balance to £1000+. It can be done. But not by newcomers unless you have an unmatched iron clad discipline that has gotten you through SAS Selection and Navy Seal training in one year!!! (Ultra rare)

Do you self a favour - save up a good starting balance, stick to TDs rules, employ proper risk management and believe in yourself. You will become a successful trader.
Until you have a good starting balance you will just pi$$ money away, thinking 'Oh it matters not, it was just a quick £100, I can afford a few this month' You are deceiving yourself and you WILL get into trouble.

Last edited:
Any possibility you could share your reasoning FW? Always keen to learn...
Good trading, mate.

Thanks. What matters as always, is context... You already mentioned yourself the hourly trendline, but that's only one element. The chart attached gives several elements why the line of least resistance was upwards.

So if you consider your pin-bar now, it's in the middle of nowhere. Agreed, that doesn't mean you couldn't profit from it. But it's so easier to play to trade with the probabilities on your side (meaning longs) :)

Even though I don't trade the CAC40, the principles are the same and it shows a similar picture as the US markets.

Attachments

• CAC40.JPG
    CAC40.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 327
Thanks. What matters as always, is context... You already mentioned yourself the hourly trendline, but that's only one element. The chart attached gives several elements why the line of least resistance was upwards.

So if you consider your pin-bar now, it's in the middle of nowhere. Agreed, that doesn't mean you couldn't profit from it. But it's so easier to play to trade with the probabilities on your side (meaning longs) :)

Even though I don't trade the CAC40, the principles are the same and it shows a similar picture as the US markets.

Great post. Really liked your analysis on it.

I don't necessarily agree that the daily pin was in the middle of nowhere. It was a rejection of previous daily lows which was a very significant support turned resistance pivot...and the 50% of the swing down...so I think daily looked bearish...but then on the hourly, you are right, the picture is different and certainly more bullish.

That is why I switched this morning and suggested that rather than selling the pin blindly, one goes onto the hourly and plays the retest of the right shoulder. If I hadn't done this, this would have been a losing trade.

Anyway, good read FW and good trading.

Thanks for the pic and thanks for posting mate :)

I just want to second what Grimweasel has said.
I could not trade six months ago, I was a complete newbie and I was lucky enough to be mentored by this guy before he started his thread. He weaned me off indicators and onto the higher time frames.
Much like the people who managed to find their way to J16 or Trader Dante here, I feel very lucky to have learnt from someone like him. The methods are all very similar, simple and there is a reason - they work !
There is no short cut for the studying and chart time you have to do yourself though.
Nicola

Just a quick link for some to Strat's page over on ForexFactory
Check post #580 where there is a hyperlinked index. It's in the early stages but shaping up to be another great thread like this one.
Strat's Long Term Stress Free Trading - Page 39.

Status
Not open for further replies.