One Trade a Week

Grrr. Looks like I'm out of my Dax trade again. :confused:

My timing on this weekly thread is becoming 'problematic'!

Yep, you've been stopped out this morning at 7140.

Closing Trade

DAX Index (DBI DAX)
Direction: Long

Entry: 7233.33
Exit: 7140

Percentage Gain: -1.29%

ATR Adjusted Percentage Gain: -1.00%

It has been a tricky week with the volatility, so keep your chin up.

Whether i lose 5% or 8 % does this make any difference in this contest ?

Yep, ATR adjusted percentages are the main way of scoring and get added up each week. So the bigger the loss, the harder it will be to win in the long run as you will need to recover the loss to get back into profit.

Plus the group as a whole percentages are added up to compare against the indicies each week. So I'm trying to encourage good risk management practices.

I expect you have noticed but just in case you missed it, I suggested to Sharky he makes a competition corner as it were and even provides some prizes. He seems to like the ideas,

so :D:D:D

Yep, ATR adjusted percentages are the main way of scoring and get added up each week. So the bigger the loss, the harder it will be to win in the long run as you will need to recover the loss to get back into profit.

Plus the group as a whole percentages are added up to compare against the indicies each week.
When i asked u told me if i finish the week negative i will lose 1 point ...

When i asked u told me if i finish the week negative i will lose 1 point ...

There is 2 ways of scoring. One percentage based and the other points based. So yes you will only lose 1 point on the points scoring table if you make a loss, but on the percentage table it is all added up like in a normal account.

There is 2 ways of scoring. One percentage based and the other points based. So yes you will only lose 1 point on the points scoring table if you make a loss, but on the percentage table it is all added up like in a normal account.

mmm

Scoring

Ok, it seems like I need to clarify the scoring. There are two ways of scoring. The simplistic points based scoring and the more serious ATR Adjusted Percentage based scoring. I will post each type at the end of each week so people can see how they are doing.

Points based scoring*

-1 point - for a loss
0 points - for breakeven
1 point - for a profit
Additional 1 point - weekly winner (determined by ATR adjusted percentage gain)

*A point to note is that the points based scoring is overly simplistic. If you make a profit, you get 1 point. So someone that makes a 0.03% ATR Adjusted profit gets 1 point and someone that makes a 1.5% ATR adjusted profit gets 1 point even though they have done a much better trade. Only the weekly winner gets an extra point.

ATR Adjusted Percentage based scoring

The 200 day Average True Range from the last day of previous week is used as a baseline for each pick to make it fair. So for example, if you pick a mining stock that has an ATR(200) of 90. Then to make a 1% ATR Adjusted profit you would need to make 90 points, and to make a 2% ATR Adjusted profit you would need to make 2 x 90 points = 180 points. If instead you lost 90 points on this pick, then you would have made a 1% ATR Adjusted loss and if you lost 180 points you would have made a 2% ATR Adjusted loss. So it's very simple.

So everyone starts at 0% and each week the ATR Adjusted profit or loss is added to the spreadsheet and this then gives you a fair and accurate way of gauging your performance as the weeks go by.

Stop losses are mandatory.
Targets are mandatory.

I calculate the groups performance as a whole each week and compare it against the S&P 500 and FTSE 100, so we can see how group is performing as well as individually.

I hope that all makes sense

Cheers

David

Last edited:
Reactions: tar
Mike just noticed the 4% move in CNE.L today. You are now leading the week with a 1.85% ATR adjusted gain

Looks like I've been stopped out of Gold. I will update the closing details later.

Why u chosen GLD y not trade spot gold or futures ? it is allowed in the contest right ?

You can trade anything, I just need to be able to get a price for it from somewhere. I only have ADVFN for live data which doesn't have everything and I set up alerts for the entries, stops and targets for everyone using the ADVFN alerts service. So if I traded spot gold for example I would have to look somewhere else for the price and wouldn't be able to set up alerts for it. So GLD was easier as it is an ETF that I can get a price for on ADVFN.

Closing Trade

GLD (NYSE:GLD)
Direction: Short

Entry: 137.715
Exit: 140.37

Percentage Gain: -1.89%

ATR Adjusted Percentage Gain: -1.61%

GLD hit my stop loss this afternoon. The pullback I thought would happen at the old highs didn't come, so that makes me more bullish on Gold and Silver, so I'm going to buy some physical in my account.

You can trade anything, I just need to be able to get a price for it from somewhere. I only have ADVFN for live data which doesn't have everything and I set up alerts for the entries, stops and targets for everyone using the ADVFN alerts service. So if I traded spot gold for example I would have to look somewhere else for the price and wouldn't be able to set up alerts for it. So GLD was easier as it is an ETF that I can get a price for on ADVFN.

u can set alerts with Igindex as well ...