my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human Evolution

Two videos of a series on human evolution, that I watching right now. Quite interesting.

More on human evolution, with a genetic approach. The above series of videos describes human evolution until 50k years ago, whereas the videos below describe it from 50k years ago.

I am realizing now that, when speaking of evolution, we should differentiate between biological evolution and sociocultural evolution, even though on the main wikipedia entry for "evolution" it seems to just refer to the biological sense...What is Evolution?

I like how this guy explains, simply, clearly, brilliantly and concisely, the difference between the two:
http://www2.truman.edu/~rgraber/cultev/bioevo.html

The roots of cultural evolutionism are intertwined with the biological theory of natural selection--a theory arrived at independently by A. R. Wallace and Charles Darwin, and made famous by Darwin's book of 1859, The Origin of Species. Yet biological and cultural evolution each have "rules of their own"; confusing the two is a grave error--one that marred the work of thinkers such as Herbert Spencer, and that has reappeared recently among the sociobiologists (see Harris 1979).

A key difference is that once a species is intelligent enough for its ways of life to depend greatly on learning, those ways of life can change far faster than can the species' biological makeup. The steam engine, the automobile, and the computer scarcely needed to wait on biological evolution in order to transform how we live! Artifacts, customs, and ideas can spread rapidly within a generation; biological evolution happens only over generations. Biological evolution can occur rapidly, but only in simple life forms, such as microorganisms, that have very short generation times. Indeed, the rapid evolution of microbes is what causes our antibiotics to "wear out" so quickly. By filling certain microbes' environment (our own bodies) with drugs, we wipe out all those that have no resistance to that drug; but if even a single "bug" contains a gene making it resistant to the drug, that is precisly the one that will survive and reproduce, giving rise to a new strain--a resistant strain for which a new antibiotic will have to be sought. No end is in sight to this war between bugs and drugs, in which they fight with the weaponry of biological evolution, we, of cultural evolution!

I was wondering and realized this important difference when, in the third youtube video of Journey of Man (minute 5:55), Spencer Wells says "they may have looked like us, but the people who lived here weren't as smart..." referring to people living in a cave 80k years ago. And this remark got me thinking.

Now, according to this Timeline of human evolution (great link), 80k years ago our ancestors were "anatomically modern humans", so what is he talking about? Is he confusing between biological and social evolution? Of course not, but then I don't understand what he means by they weren't as smart. They were potentially as intelligent as us (except not socially, like some amazon tribes today), were they not? Maybe he's just saying it in the broad meaning, like we say that someone is not as smart. I misunderstood and thought he meant they didn't have a big enough brain, like mine, which overheats when I try to understand formulas.

I found further information on that Blombos Cave, with the not-so-smart humans, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blombos_Cave

And here it says:
http://www.svf.uib.no/sfu/blombos/Modern_Human_Behaviour_Debate.html

The Debate

The origins of anatomically modern people (Homo sapiens) almost certainly lie in Africa at about 300,000 - 150,000 years ago and genetic evidence shows that all living people are related to these African ancestors.

The origins of 'modern' human behaviour, however, are a more contentious issue and the subject of ongoing and extensive debate. A link between early anatomical modernity and early 'modern behaviour' in Africa is not generally accepted and there is also disagreement on how 'modern behaviour' is defined.

So I guess it all boils down to this debate on modern anatomy and modern behaviour, which is closely related to the distinction of biological evolution vs cultural evolution. Probably this is the main subject of those Journey of Man.

More related links:
http://www.mobtakeransanat.com/statya/Who-Are-the-Australian-Aborigines----One-of-the-ol.html

Who Are the Australian Aborigines? - One of the oldest human races
The Australian Aborigines form together with the Bushmen and pygmies one of the oldest human race. They are one of the first human groups to have moved out of Africa perhaps 60,000 years ago. This group formed a race later known as Black Asians. 12,000 years ago, they were the main inhabitants of India, Indochina, Indonesia, New Guinea, Melanesia, and perhaps even eastern China. They make the most primitive form of this race, later types being represented by Papuans or Melanesians.
Unlike African Blacks, these people have abundant beards, a lot of hair on the body, are shorter, have slimmer lips, a tilted front (not cambered), prominent eye ridge and aquiline noses. The hair is somewhat less kinky. The Aborigines maintain in their physic some very primitive traits for modern human races: evasive foreheads, very prominent eyebrow ridge, eyes sunk into the sockets, and extremely wide noses, with a depressed base and elusive chin. The skin is dark, but not so much like in African Blacks; the body is rather slim and tall, with long and thin arms and feet.
This race has one of the highest genetic diversity amongst current human races (being bypassed just by the Bushmen, the oldest living human race), the mitochondrial DNA showing an age of at least 35,000 years for this human type.
One curiosity of the Black Asian race (Aborigines included) is that some children can have naturally blond hair. Still, with the age this hair turns gradually dark.
But later than 12,000 years ago, in India entered White populations from central and southwestern Asia, greatly displacing or mixing with this race. Still, even today, many Indian populations, especially in the south, still preserve this Black Asian racial type, and some Gurus from the south cannot be distinguished from a Papuan or Australian Aborigine. In southeastern Asia, they were replaced by Mongoloids coming from Tibet and central China.
Australian Aborigines could have entered Australia through New Guinea about 40,000 years ago, as during the peak of the last Ice Age New Guinea was connected to the Australian continent via a land bridge, forming the called Sahul.
When European colonization started, Aborigines retreated to the inner deserts and steppes and to the remote north. The Aborigine culture is one of the Paleolithic (Old Stone Age), a glimpse of how we lived more than 20,000 years ago.
[...]

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html

Last edited:
i dunno; i just can't believe humans came from nothing but dust; i do think something made us; i think there is a GOD as such but not sure whether to believe the stuff in the bible;how easily could that have been manipulated!

Personally I am atheist and I believe in what science tells us (evolution and all that). Actually that's why I always wanted to make money trading, so I can quit my job and become a renaissance man. Or just sleep all day long, depending on the mood.

The Tree of Life as depicted by Ernst Haeckel

Pretty neat...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_evolutionary_thought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Haeckel

Tree_of_life_by_Haeckel.jpg

NOT celebrating after a profitable day

Today I am having a good day, making probably over 1000, maybe even 2000 or even more.

A year ago, I would have celebrated by going to the japanese restaurant near the bank, treating my colleagues, feeling like a millionaire.

Then the next day I'd come home and find a 1000 dollars loss. I'd be so unprepared for it that I'd double up the ongoing trade, trying to make it all back. And eventually this would lead me to blowing out my account.

What I have to realize is that today's profit is not mine, but it's the systems', and they're entitled to lose it tomorrow.

The way I'll handle it this time is by only allowing myself to celebrate on a weekly basis, or even better a monthly basis, and if I'll spend anything, I'll spend in terms of percentage of that month's gains rather than today's gains, because as I said, they're not mine. Since, whereas I can expect to have profitable weeks, I definitely cannot expect to have just profitable days, and therefore today's gains are not accounting for future losses, and must be coupled with tomorrow's losses and compensate for them.

So for today, I won't say to anyone that it went well, nor celebrate at all, because I need to be prepared for tomorrow's drawdown.

Last edited:
Re: NOT celebrating after a profitable day

So for today, I won't say to anyone that it went well, nor celebrate at all, because I need to be prepared for tomorrow's drawdown.

Yes exactly what I think.

Remember to be humble, because you have ripped that money out of someone else's hands, someone who was just as or even more desperate to win. Today you beat them, but tomorrow they will beat you. There might be a market in between you and them, and they might be engaging in their trading with the same preparation as you, in which case it is an equal fight and you've no need to reflect on it - but most of the time, they will be the 95% who lose, the poor, dull witted idiots who didn't grasp what had to be done to win.

Perhaps that's who we still are - just poor dull-witted idiots - but perhaps you will carry on winning, perhaps I'll start winning soon too. Just don't forget who's sponsoring your winnings.

If you're not humble, you'll forget the important stuff and suddenly you'll be one of them again - dull-witted, and poor!

Hmm... I don't like the way it sounds: it sounds like I should feel guilty... but maybe you have a point and that's why it bothers me. However, if we want to see it in these terms, I am still down 50k since I started trading in 1997, so I am entitled to some apologies from the guy who took my money until now.

Personally I see it in slightly different terms: I am trading with the market, which is made by millions of people, not just one person and I don't really know where my gain is coming from (certainly not from one person). Otherwise we could also be saying that if I drink a glass of water in Italy, since the world's water is limited, just like trading profits, I am taking that water from a child in africa and causing him to die. But I guess this could actually be close to the truth...

Actually it's true. A peaceful guy buying some gas for his car in the States is as peaceful as a soldier killing people in the middle east to make sure that gas stays cheap. Yeah, you know what I mean, even though I am probably not explaining it correctly in all details. I guess whenever we're using resources that are limited, we're taking them from someone else, in trading and in other fields of our lives.

So... we are all permanently guilty, unless we're missionaries. But even a missionary, if he washes his hair, he's subtracting resources from parasites who would like to inhabit his body. And parasites are living beings, so only a missionary who never washes himself can be ok with his conscience.

Last edited:
haha, ok maybe in the forex market you could use that comparison - but in futures, at the futures exchange, it's a zero sum game. You only win because someone on the other side of your contract lost.

I am not sure I agree, but maybe it's a question of semantics.

I would be more inclined to agree with the concept you're referring to (zero-sum game), if you phrased it differently, since I don't think I am opening and closing my (futures) position by trading with just one guy, as you make it sound. I don't just have "someone" on the other side of my contract but usually two different people. I trade with one person when I open it and with another person when I close it. Isn't that the case?

Guy A buys at 1 and sells at 2, to me. (A makes money)
I buy at 2 and sell at 3, to guy B. (I make money)
Guy B buys at 3 and sells at 4, to guy C (B makes money)

So far I made money, but we can't say I caused a loss to anyone, can we?

Let's even say that down the line, guy C, who bought at 4 sells at 1 to guy D and loses 3 points.

Can we say that I caused him to lose 1 point? I don't think so: I didn't even interact with him. Can we say that guy D caused him to lose 3 points? I don't think so. We don't even how much guy D will make any money from the trade.

So yes, it is a zero-sum game, but we can't say that by making money i am causing a loss to someone else, as you said. This is just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

In the same way, if you buy a car today for 20k, never touch it, and sell it in ten years for 10k, which is the market's value for it, can we say that the guy who buys it from you rips you off or causes you a loss? He's buying the car for what it's worth. You caused yourself the loss by keeping it. The same with the contract. I buy the contract for what it is worth on the market. We cannot say that I am taking money from anyone. It is not logical, it is not semantically correct. This does not mean that it's not a zero-sum game.

Just my opinion, feel free to ignore me. Anyway, I don't fully understand this whole thing, so you might be right, after all, and I'll find out in 4 years, come back, and tell you "sorry for disagreeing".

Last edited:
You should be a politician. That was a very good bit of squirming out the situation :LOL:

Not too happy with DiskTrading data

I didn't pay more than 100 dollars but I wasn't happy with the data they gave me at DT this time (usually I am). Three symbols were perfect:

Sugar (NYBOT)
Natural Gas (NYMEX)
AUD (CME - GLOBEX)

The other 4 symbols I bought weren't satisfactory for the following reasons:

CME'S:
CAD CADA0-15min.txt (they gave me the forex data, which is inverted to the USD, and not the future's data, which is what I need)
CHF CHFA0-15min.txt (they gave me the forex data, which is inverted to the USD, and not the future's data, which is what I need)

ECBOT'S:
ZC CK0-15min.txt (5 hours vs the 20 hours it trades on IB's TWS)
ZS SK0-15min.txt (5 hours vs the 20 hours it trades on IB's TWS)

I won't complain to Disktrading, because I only spent 50 dollars on the bad data, and they don't got the good data anyway, so no point in arguing.

No point in posting this stuff on the DiskTrading thread, since the "look elsewhere" expert won't tell us where the good data is.

Anyway, I've identified all 7 futures on TWS, and their volumes are just perfect, schedules are perfect, so I am ready to start with them in a few months and bring my systems to 70. I will find a way to get ahold of the 4 missing futures. In a few months I might have enough to even pay 200 dollars per symbol. Not more because it'd be a crime.

Snap1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Not too happy with DiskTrading data

That's pretty crap. They should at least have the futures data for CAD and CHF! They're big contracts. OK not huge, but big enough. It's not like oats or lumber or something.

What's ZC and ZS?

True. Maybe that "look elsewhere" guy was not so far from the truth. Tell me if you can get him to give us any good links, or if you find anything about better data vendors at a similar price, like he said.

ZC is Corn and ZS is Soybean.

Corn and Soybean? Yowsa. That really is commodity trading.

Perhaps a pm would get a decent reply out of him.

CHF, CAD data: SOLVED!!!

Great news from Disktrading.com. They are just great.

For having paid them 50 dollars for those few symbols I complained about (with the above companies it would have cost me thousands of dollars), they were extremely helpful: they sent me several emails, explaining me what the problem was (they thought I wanted the forex data), sending me the futures data for those three currencies, and offering to give me a refund for Corn and Soybean (because they don't have the data after the open outcry hours).

So now my only problem regards the Corn and Soybean data. I am really satisfied.

more on evolution

While the loud people are talking relentlessly like a radio in the room next to mine, busting my balls as usual, and I am waiting for a girl whom I will have to train to replace me in May, I was thinking about evolution. Evolution of living beings and evolution of my systems, too.

I was thinking yesterday about my excel sheet, how it was born in 2005 and it started with one system, the "pioneer system". That system today is no longer on my excel sheet, and everything has changed. It was more like the evolution of a city, where a building replaces a previous building, but in a way it isn't because the excel sheet changed a little at a time and building on the previous system always. Some systems were born by chance while I was testing a different system, but they thrived and got me to produce more systems. The bad systems died off. New generations of systems were born that were more profitable and reproduced similar systems. I made hundreds of changes per year for 5 years, and, generation after generation, the fittest systems multiplied, whereas the bad systems didn't reproduce and died off, like the "pioneer" systems.

I started with one such "pioneer" system on the YM, my first automated system ever, based on bid-ask differences, then duplicated it to the EUR and GBP. I forward-tested these 3 systems for about 3 years, but, in 2008, since they weren't working, I also started back-testing them, and while I was at it, I added some more systems: the ON systems. Yet the ON systems and those who followed were actually much better than the original systems they were supposed to just help. Then more systems came, some came and were eliminated... overall I created about 50 systems, of which 10 died. Until a few months ago, when I decided to abandon even the original systems, of which only the "pioneer" bid-ask EUR and GBP were left. Ultimately I eliminated them, because they were very heavy on my excel sheet and, during the last 8 months of forward-testing, they broke even basically. And now I am left with an excel sheet that has little to do with the original sheet. The only thing that remained pretty much intact is the calculation of moving averages, implemented by my friend Roberto five years ago. A similar parallel could be made for modern man: the only people who are left of the original anatomically modern humans who left Africa 50k years ago, are the Bushmen.

This was yesterday. And in a way my excel sheet developed much like the human race, through natural selection and all that. I don't know much about that, but anthropology and astronomy seem the most fascinating subjects to me. A documentary on how humans evolved seems even more exciting and shocking to me than Matrix or any other science fiction movie. If you really think about the past and the universe, reality is scarier than science fiction.

But our daily lives keep us from thinking about those things and raising our eyes to the sky. They keep us focused on the daily stuff, on the ground, basically. If we have to look for food and shelter, we can't certainly bother to worry about anthropology.

Anyway, just now I was thinking again about what those human evolution documentaries taught me and how not only are all humans related to one another, but we are related to all other animals. And how it's ridiculous to say that you're from Italy or that your ancestors are from France or whatever. We're all from... the earth, that is all we know. Our homo sapiens sapiens race originally moved out of africa 50k years ago. Our ancestors were all black originally.

But my curiosity was taking me further and now I've been looking if we are related to plants as well, and when our routes divided. My next subject of research will be on how man and plants are related. I wil read these articles here below and similar, and try look for some more documentaries on youtube.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=man+evolved+from+plants
Man Evolved From Seaweed, School News Declares Texas Biologist
This first living cell is the great ancestor of all plants and animals on earth, including man...

I've come a long way from my discretionary trading madness, when I posted 300 posts a week, most of them during an ongoing compulsive trade, which usually caused me to lose. This now is much better. This is automated trading: you make money while you do other things, peacefully and relaxed.

Last edited:
Average Absolute Deviation

Excel's Avedev() function is all I can afford to fully understand. Sharpe ratio is too complex for me, but I see that it might have added a different point of view on my systems' performances, that it can tell me things about my systems that Return On Account and Profit Factor alone cannot tell me.

Now, since it relies mostly on Standard Deviation, which is also too hard for me, but which has to do with average deviation, that is what I will try to focus on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_absolute_deviation

During the weekend, I will plot a hypothetical system, with its own chart, and just 20 trades or so, and I will tweak it to see if all situations need to be described with those three ratios, or if I can do without the Average Deviation.

I will document my progress here, as long as I can edit this post, and later on another post. I do it all here, because it gives me more motivation to study in front of everyone, like in highschool's "study hall", where a professor checks on you if you are studying.

------------- STARTING HERE -----------

Now let's first study in depth what this simple function does, so to avoid any misunderstandings. Indeed, I feel this function is more solid and reliable than that crap Sharpe Ratio. The simpler, the better. No squirt roots here.

This formula on excel corresponds to:
=avedev(range).

This formula:
1) first computes the average of a series of numbers, and
2) then measures the (absolute) distance of each number from that average.
3) Then it adds all these (absolute) distances together and divides them by how many items are on the list, thereby telling you the average distance of all items from the average value of all items. I think this is simple enough and good enough. I don't need any Sharpe Mother ****ing Ratios.

Let's move on.

Let's say I have two different systems that both make 20 points profit. One system achieves this by making 20 trades of 1 point each. And this guy will have an average deviation of:
1+1+1+.../20= 1 (average of values on the list)
|1-1|+|1-1|+|1-1|+|1-1|+|1-1|+...=0/20=0

Now. A system that makes 20 points by making 1 point per trade and never losing is the best system of all, ceteris paribus (all other things equal). So obviously a ranking of zero is the best ranking (for a profitable system). I wonder if we could go as far as dividing total net profit by average deviation, and obtain simply how good a system is, but then we'd make things more complicated, so for now let's at least postpone it.

Now let's look at another system, since by now it's totally clear what we mean by average (absolute) deviation. This system makes 20 points in 20 trades, but instead of making 1 point per trade and never losing, it makes these trades:
And achieves a AveDev of 0.60, which so far makes sense, because I was expecting such a higher number to rate a worse system.

Now, always with an overall profit of 20 points, let's compare a system that has 3 trades of 0, and three trades of 2 with another that has 3 trades of -1 and 3 trades of 3. There are no doubts that I prefer the first one, because it never has a loss. But let's see what their AveDev scores say. I will later attach the excel sheet for anyone's utility.

So, here I compare the first one:
DATE GAIN
04/01/2010 1
04/02/2010 1
04/03/2010 1
04/04/2010 1
04/05/2010 1
04/06/2010 1
04/07/2010 0
04/08/2010 2
04/09/2010 1
04/10/2010 0
04/11/2010 2
04/12/2010 1
04/13/2010 0
04/14/2010 2
04/15/2010 1
04/16/2010 1
04/17/2010 1
04/18/2010 1
04/19/2010 1
04/20/2010 1
total profit 20
average deviation 0.30

With the second one:
DATE GAIN
04/01/2010 1
04/02/2010 1
04/03/2010 1
04/04/2010 1
04/05/2010 1
04/06/2010 1
04/07/2010 -1
04/08/2010 3
04/09/2010 1
04/10/2010 -1
04/11/2010 3
04/12/2010 1
04/13/2010 -1
04/14/2010 3
04/15/2010 1
04/16/2010 1
04/17/2010 1
04/18/2010 1
04/19/2010 1
04/20/2010 1
total profit 20
average deviation 0.60

Ok!!! That's good. It even signals that it's bad, with its own ranking of 0.60, so twice as bad. But now that I look at it, it was also obvious that it would've scored a higher (thus worse) value, because 3 goes further from the average and so does -1.

So I am very happy with this new rating of my systems, and I feel that Return On Account and Profit Factor get close to this type of measurement but they're not the same. Yes, if I had to only rely on one of them, I would use ROA, followed by PF, but here's their limits.

1) ROA tells you how well it's done compared to how badly it scared you with its worst drawdown. Yet it definitely does not tell you how often it scared you. So AveDev so far is useful.

2) Profit Factor tells you how often and how much it wins compared to how often and how much it loses. I realize that many of these performance indicators overlap: the average trade profit could tell you much of what PF tells you. For example, if you see a system that return a million dollars, you would think it's great. But what if they tell you that its Profit Factor is 1.01? This indicates that the system has a gross profit of 101 millions and a gross loss of 100 millions, which would suck. Unless of course we imagine unlikely hypotheses that such a systems trades 100 millions times a day and doesn't require any margin.

Now let's even say that this system achieved this (small) profit by each time winning 101 dollars and losing 100 dollars, one up, one down... until 101 millions of gross profit and 100 million of gross loss. Now this system would have an amazingly good ROA (1 million over 100 dollars), but luckily the PF tells you it still sucks. So this means we still need these two performance indicators together. Now let's see if PF overlaps too much with AveDev.

Thinking... walking around the house... indeed it seems quite hard to fool profit factor.

Ok... after being clueless and lost for half an hour, I've decided as usual to work on what could be done, rather than quitting, and here's the beautiful piece of excel art which I developed, on which I will run endless tests in the days to come, to appraise how different performance indicators actually do their job at appraising a system.

I'll make sure to post later versions in case I create any. But this is a real masterpiece, and I'll be able to get a good idea of how well ROA, PF, AD appraise a system's performance.

SEE BELOW FOR FILE

----

Eureka

Before losing this inspiration... what do I want from my systems?

1) To make as much money as possible - also in terms of leverage

2) To have as little drawdown as possible

Let me elaborate on this:

For every loss and drawdown I am risking to blow out my account, that's what this is all about. And since the maximum loss and drawdown can always be underestimated, I have to select not the systems who make the most money but the systems who make the most money compared to how much they could lose.

I believe that % profit is already measured by profit over maximum loss, which is already in my ROA index (because I customized it). In the sense that usually a future that will need a big margin will also have a big loss. Also, since I have more capital than needed, I don't need to focus to return in terms of investment, because I can invest on how many contracts I want, but the problem is not blowing out my account. So capital is not a concern in terms of profitability of it, but in terms of its relationship to drawdown. I don't even make total sense to myself, but I sense this is the way to go, more or less, with my limited knowledge and intelligence.

So, forget about leverage. I will focus on profit / average(backtested dd, forwardtested dd, maximum loss)

And that's already in my systems.

But we also said that profit factor enriches the appraisal of my systems, in the sense that we don't care if a system makes 2k if they're coming from gross loss of 10k and gain of 12k. That system sucks, and the ROA will never tell us. Take a system that makes 10 dollars today and loses 8 dollars tomorrow. In the long run it will look great in terms of ROA, because it has a max loss of 2 dollars, and a huge profit, but Profit Factor will tell us that it sucks by rating it with a 1.2. So...

...so far we have established that a good appraisal is the average of ROA index with Profit Factor.

Let's just make sure of this by citing an opposite case (bad ROA and good PF). We have a system that got unlucky and one day it had just one huge loss of 3k, such as the CL. But then, not only did it recover from it, but it went on to make a profit of 12k, without any more losses. Now, this system will have a PF of 4, but its ROA index will look worse than the other one, and yet this system is better.

So, these two, which I use presently are good.

What does the AveDev add?

I'll plot these systems and see what happens... by sticking real data in them, precisely these examples I used (I have real systems in mind, CL_ID and ZN_ON). When theory fails, I resort to practice.

-----

Ok, I am done. I will implement the average profit / average deviation on my new Final Index formula, and it will be responsible for my money management. All automated. That's enough ingredients for now.

Here's attached the latest file. I am done with this stuff as well. I will just start automating everything, starting tomorrow.

What reassures me is that all three parameters give very similar ratings. All systems score equally well or bad on ROA, PF, AveDev.

On the other hand, all three performance indicators have Profit on the numerator so it's normal, even though they are not identical.

Roughly, they rate each system's profit matching it against:

ROA:
Max Loss and Drawdown, and therefore risk of the system:
it produces great money but how dangerous was it at its worst moment?

PF:
Total Losses, and therefore accuracy of system:
it produces great money but how many trades did it take them to do so?

Av.Prof./Av.Dev.:
Unpredictability throughout all of its trades, and therefore general risk of systems:
it produces great money but how dangerous was it on average during all its trades?

Attachments

• evaluating_a_system_according_to_PF_ROA_APAD.xls
    63 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Invest on all systems equally or favour the best ones?

Given that our margin is unlimited, because risk management keeps us from using too many contracts (big drawdowns in most systems):

Should we invest on all (profitable) systems equally or favour the systems that perform better according to our Index, mentioned in the above post?

Several possible tests:

1) Try allocating the same amount of contracts to all, and see how equity line behaves for past 8 months.

This method would have two consequences.

If we invest on all systems equally and we do have unlimited margin, this will increase our absolute profit and probably also our ROA.

If we have limit resources and margin won't be enough for all systems (which we assumed was not the case at the start), then our system would perform worse, because we're taking money from the good systems and giving it to the bad systems.

The reason I was thinking might be good to allow all systems to trade with the same capital, regardless of how good they were, is that we really do not care if we make less money, but diversification is good in itself, and we should rather trade as many systems and markets.

Let's see... some brainstorming.

We have a team of workers. They all work alone. Each one brings benefits, and they work for free, because our hypothesis is that margin is unlimited... if margin was not unlimited, we would want the best systems to trade - no doubt about that. But I often found that margin was unlimited, because I wasn't using all capital, most of the time.

The problem with the workers are two, and they're the key of everything:

1) we don't know if all the ones who seem to bring benefit actually will bring benefit in the future, so this would encourage us to allow only the the best systems to trade, because the least good might actually turn out to be unprofitable

2) we don't know if the best systems will stay the best systems in the future, and this would tell us to trade all (profitable) systems.

One thing would tell us to trade all profitable systems and the other would tells us to trade all bad ones.

Our scoring system right now tells us this:

If a system scores on the Index the best, it gets 100% of whatever contracts are allocated by the 5% risk rules:
contracts allocated is equal to 5% of capital divided by max loss.

This means that the best system GBL_ID wil typically lose 500 on its worst loss, and, with a capital of 100k, we could risk blowing 5k on it. So it would be 5k divided by 500. This would allow us to trade 10 contracts on it, since it is the best. 10 contracts on it would only require 20k of margin. Now imagine that another system is rated to be half as good on our index scale. It already gets screwed because it probably has a bigger drawdown, like 1000 dollars. So that it would be allowed to trade only 5 contracts, but then it gets screwed again because it can only trade 50% of those contracts, so 2 contracts. It's as if the 5% risk rule became a 2.5% risk rule for it.

Now, with all the capital we have do we really want to screw this contract twice?

There's so many possibilities... damn.

Let's list them, even those that I've already discarded

1) You take the best system so far and only trade that one, and forget the other 39, and use all your margin on your best system
Discarded because I'd have negative days and weeks could even blow out my account. And on top of this all my capital would not be utilised all the time, which is a waste. On top of this, many systems are almost equally good and outrank each other on a weekly basis.

2) You trade all profitable systems with as many contracts as your capital allows, all the time.
This would maximise profit, if things go well. But since some systems trade at the same time, this might allow the worst systems to take all the money from the best systems. So it's not good. Besides, it could increase too much the risk of blowing out your account.

3) You use a 5% risk rule to limit risks of blowing out the account and apply it to all systems equally
This has not been discarded yet, because it would probably allow us to use all our capital most of the time, without increasing risk too much.

4) You use a 5% risk rule for the best systems, which becomes a 2.5% risk rule for the other systems or whatever %, depending how the worse systems rank when they are matched against the best.
In other words this rule says: we let you guys all trade, but we let trade more contracts the systems whom we trust better. Prove you can do well, and we'll let you trade more contracts. It would sound like the most reasonable rule, but it is NOT using all capital and it is NOT taking full advantage of diversification, as it is limiting it.

So I am left with choices #3 and #4. If margin was not sufficient to trade all systems, I would definitely use #4, and for many reasons I'll try to explain I am deciding to use it. Also because this way, we'd have something like this:

the best systems are each one allowed to risk 5% of capital. The worst systems (among the profitable ones) would each be allowed to trade say 2.5% of capital, and so the outcome would be like an average of 2 worse (but profitable) systems trading like each of the best systems. This would seem very reasonable. I don't even want to test it any further right now, because tests are complicated, and right now i don't have the time.

So it will be #4 (favour the best ones) and now I will focus on my Index, and try to make it perfect.

One more thing about capital invested. Say that I am using at all times about 3 best systems and 3 worse systems. This would mean, with capital 100k:
GBL_ID (max loss 500) trading 10 contracts, and taking 20k of margin.
CL_ID (max loss 2k) trading 2, taking 10k.
EUR_XX (max loss 1k) trading 5, taking 20k.

Accordingly, the other three so so systems, would trade half as many contracts and use half as much margin, so we'd be left with 25k unused.

To use it all up, I'd have to simply slide the 5% rule to 6.66%, theoretically, and we'd be using all capital and this would further justify my method of allocating capital.

So it is actually just perfect. Thanks to this post, I don't have any more doubts about this.

Last edited:
On with my ECBOT's ZC and ZN data search

I got all the data I was looking for (AUD, CAD, CHF, Sugar, Natural Gas), except for ZC and ZN, from the ECBOT.

Or rather, disktrading.com gave me that data as well, but it only covers 5 hours per day so it's not good enough for me.

I will now list all the links to data vendors and resources and comment on each one of them what the problem is (because most likely there's only problems and no solutions).

1) TICKDATA.COM
https://store.tickdata.com/prices?productMarketId=PRODUCT_MARKET.FUTURES_INDICES

Too expensive: 650 dollars per symbol:
tickdata_for_ZC_ZS_650_dollars_apiece.jpg

2) AUTOMATEDTRADER.NET
http://www.automatedtrader.net/tick_data.xhtm

Too expensive: 500 dollars per symbol:
automatedtrader_zs_500_dollars.jpg

automatedtrader_zc_500_dollars.jpg

3) cqgdatafactory.com
https://www.cqgdatafactory.com/?page=search

Too expensive: 465 dollars per symbol:
cqgdatafactory_for_ZC_ZS_465_dollars_apiece.jpg

4) tickdatamarket.com
http://www.tickdatamarket.com/index.php?number=p070100&lg=gb

Too expensive: 400 dollars per symbol and I don't even know if they actually have what they promise, since they say the data starts in 1982 (but everyone else, even tickdata.com, says they have the data from 2005):
http://www.tickdatamarket.com/index.php?number=p010100&lg=gb#ff

Besides they're French, so not as reliable as English-speaking providers.

5) tickplusdata.com
http://www.tickplusdata.com/orderdata.htm

The price would be calculated as follows for each symbol:
4 dollars per month, 50 dollars a year, so most likely 250 dollars for those 5 years the data exists for.

However, their order form is too complicated and therefore unreliable:
http://www.tickplusdata.com/ordersheet.xls

Ok. I have worked days and now three hours for this result. Looked up about 30 web sites and several forums, and I have come to the conclusion that, if I want to trade Corn and Soybeans, I need to buy the data from one of the above data vendors, and be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for each symbol. I cannot do any back-testing on the 5 hours I got from disktrading.com. Usually I am happy with them, but in this case, I guess my usual 15 dollars per symbol won't do it. I owe it all to them if today I have 40 profitable systems: I never would have spent 10 to 20 thousand dollars for buying data in 2008 (which is what the data on my 9 futures would have cost me).

Let us now analyze which one I will buy. By everyone, tickdata.com is the best, but it is also the most expensive. Let's see if I can find something among these above choices that cost me half as much and seems reliable. Not the French guys for sure, nor the "customize your order" guys.

By the way, I gotta hand it to myself: the "look elsewhere" user didn't know what he was talking about. He said there were, "elsewhere", data vendors as cheap but more reliable than disktrading.com and it was total bull****, as, after this search, and thanks to the generous links he eventually provided me with (after asking him for a few weeks), I was only able to come up with data vendors which might be better but cost twenty times as much as disktrading.com. So I knew I was right, and I guess that's why he wasn't replying for so long. He didn't know what the **** to reply.

Last famous words, that got me searching like an idiot for days, only to find out he was full of ****:
Today, many more vendors exist for intraday data with simliar pricing. I would just look elsewhere.

Anyway. I prefer people who don't even try to help me, than people who waste my time. If I do something, if I say something, I do it well. I don't waste my time or other people's time. This is called "being serious".

Anyway, once I've discarded vendors #4 and #5, all I've got left is 1,2,3.

Screw it. For 150 extra dollars, I will buy Corn and Soybean from the guys at tickdata.com.

Of course not now, but in a few months, if I have 1300 to throw away. Right now I'd feel it's a crime. Funny how I was ok with losing 1000s on my discretionary trading.

For now I'll develop systems on these therefore:
AUD, CAD, CHF, which luckily have much in common with EUR, GBP, JPY, so I don't have to worry about expirations and such.

And two more, of which one is Natural Gas:
Henry Hub Natural Gas, which has a lot in common with CL, in terms of expiration. Who's Henry Hub (besides a pipeline)?
http://www.wikinvest.com/futures/Natural_Gas_Futures

Couldn't find out. There's plenty of information on the web, I will definitely find something on henry hub "elsewhere", as someone would tell me.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=henry+hub&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I got it! This guy, Henry Hub, must be related to European Gas Hub:
http://www.europeangashub.com/

They share the same last name at least, and they both have something to do with gas.

No, wait. It has to do with just "Henry", and "hub" is not a last name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erath,_Louisiana

Oh no, please don't tell me I want to trade a future named after a road or a community which is not even listed on wikipedia...?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1228,-92.06028&spn=0.069495,0.153637&t=h&z=13

This seems to be the case. I hope it won't cause me disaster. Ok, so be it, for this Natural Gas. What's the other one...

Oh, right: Sugar.

I like sugar. Let's go look at the expirations:
http://www.wikinvest.com/wiki/Sugar_No._11_Futures
https://www.theice.com/productguide/ProductDetails.shtml?&marketId=860080

This is all right, because even though it's a new exchange and the expiration months suck, it's at least priced in decimal numbers and not like the mother ****ing ZN.

Ok, so I am done. No ZN and ZC for now, because "look elsewhere" was wrong, and I'd have to spend 1300 dollars on data, which mentally I cannot spend until I've got a million dollars, so it will be a while. So I will now build another... 3 to 6 systems per symbol, so that will give me about 20 more systems.

This step of gathering data is done. Next weekend I will proceed to the next step: backtesting the existing systems on these new 5 symbols. I'll start with the easiest part: the 3 new forex futures.

If I make enough money, even before getting the ZC-ZS data, I'll get a weapon, invisible one, to kill all the barking dogs in my neighbourhood.

Now I am tired. I will get a glass of water and get some drops of this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam#Recreational_use

This is really good. Here it says good things about this drug:
Alprazolam (Xanax) overdose reflect the central nervous system depression of the brain and may include one or more of the following symptoms:[35]

Somnolence (difficulty staying awake)
Mental confusion
Hypotension
Impaired motor functions
Impaired or absent reflexes
Muscle weakness
Impaired balance
Dizziness
Fainting
Hypoventilation (Respiratory Depression)
Coma
Death

It's good because, except for death, I am looking for those consequences of this drug. I want to fall asleep, so somnolence is good. I am insomniac. I am too alert and aware, so mental confusion is welcome. I am hyper, so hyotension is good. I am too active, so I am glad if I get somewhat impaired. I always overreact, so absent reflexes would be interesting. Dizziness and fainting is good as well, so I don't have to get drunk anymore.

Another good thing with xanax is that it tells me here it's very addictive:

What has become clinically apparent with Xanax which appears to be somewhat different than the other benzodiazepines is that the patients ability to self-detox or be able to be gradually tapered off of the medication is markedly more difficult. Thusly, once the physiologic dependence has occurred with Xanax, the ability of the patient to discontinue use successfully on their own is quite low, and medical assistance becomes of significant necessity in the majority of cases.

Since i am not totally normal and don't get addicted to almost anything (I did to trading, but now I quit), it will be interested to get addicted to xanax for a while, like a month, and then get off it, once I run out of drops.

Something really fun about this drug that I've started noticing and it was written in the little instructions that came in the box is that, as I type, I keep on forgetting and misspelling words, which is unusual for a control freak like me. This is like the best drug for a control freak. Too bad I can't take it forever because it can do me harm. I am friends with the lady at the pharmacy, since I go there to buy propecia, and give them a lot of money because of that. So the lady has never asked me for any prescriptions. This is how it works here in Rome, in most pharmacies. It's a great opportunity to try all sorts of drugs. It's too bad I didn't think of this before.

So, actually this guy is saying good things about xanax. In summary, he says "it works, but use it occasionally and don't overdo it", but he really means, since it's hard to control it, don't use it at all. Kind of like discretionary trading: you can be profitable at it, but it's easy to lose control over it and lose all your money, so you're better off not even starting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.