Best Thread Live Cable Trading

JillyB said:
5 pips at 9.30am - glad I took them as it's gone into reverse.

JillyB,
I am interested to know of your stop loss level on your trade assuming you did not exit early?
Did you take any other trades ? Have a nice day.

Attachments

• 24th April Cable.JPG
    24th April Cable.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 141
TraderAli said:
JillyB,
I am interested to know of your stop loss level on your trade assuming you did not exit early?
Did you take any other trades ? Have a nice day.

I exited that trade straight away as soon as I got 5 pips. I was busy with other things at the time so was just glad to take 5.

According to Darvas the stop is placed at the other side of the box to the one which is broken through. Unfortunately this gives probably an unsatisfactory risk/reward ratio, however with the high number of 5 pip winning trades - a couple of 15-16 point losing trades does not make so much difference.

Trade Complete - Target Achieved

I took this one, only 5 pips though !

Attachments

• Trade Short.JPG
    Trade Short.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 147
JillyB said:
I exited that trade straight away as soon as I got 5 pips. I was busy with other things at the time so was just glad to take 5.

According to Darvas the stop is placed at the other side of the box to the one which is broken through. Unfortunately this gives probably an unsatisfactory risk/reward ratio, however with the high number of 5 pip winning trades - a couple of 15-16 point losing trades does not make so much difference.

Maybe you should change the rules? And let the profit run - like Darvas always did. He said: "There's no reason to sell a rising stock". ;)

Baruch said:
Maybe you change the rules? And let the profit run - like Darvas always did. He said: "There's no reason to sell a rising stock". ;)

But Darvas was trading stocks - as you so rightly put it - trading the FX needs some adjustment of this.

For instance, how likely is it that the £ will ever buy $3? Not very likely. As I see it the £/$ is really broad range trading, it is not going to go up and up and up, or conversely go down and down. It has a very wide band that it trades within.

Therefore the Darvas theory needs some adapting.

In addition, I am only trading on a 5 min chart - which could be classed as scalping - I'm never in a trade longer than say 30 minutes. If you were trying Darvas on a longer time frame say 4 hours or a daily chart, then perhaps yes, you could look at it this way.

I'm not trading these live, just putting a few ideas together to test letting the winners run further. Perhaps half off at +5 and trailing the remainder with PSAR or something similar.....just stopped out at 7830.

Attachments

• Cable Darvas 24th April.GIF
    Cable Darvas 24th April.GIF
    14.6 KB · Views: 143
Baruch said:
Maybe you should change the rules? And let the profit run - like Darvas always did. He said: "There's no reason to sell a rising stock". ;)

Baruch,

I understand your point but if I did not take 5 pips, this would have been a breakeven trade. Also the trade which JillyB took earlier this morning reversed with a spike. I think 5 pips is quite easy to achieve but I would'nt feel comfortable having large stops. I personally think it should'nt be more then 10 points although it can be less when the boxes are small.

cheers.

Attachments

• Breakeven short.JPG
    Breakeven short.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 112
TraderAli said:
Another short trade - did not take :(

This trade gave us another 5 points and reversed.

You see why I take my 5 pips now. It's a pretty safe trade. :D

Its now at 1.7877 - If I did'nt have a loss in my previous trade I would have let it run..
My target was to gain my previous loss so +10pips gained back.