isa's short term trading journal

I've been out today. But seems like the markets got all panicky. I guess without seeing any of the news that this is because of the Libya situation and fear of contagion to Saudi Arabia. Oh, just heard it's because of an oil supply disruption. Amazingly my OILW.L ETF in my ISA account was only up 0.6% today, which is pretty rubbish considering spot oil is up 5+%.

I noticed another strange occurrence with my spread betting firm when I got home. My Barclays trade was closed by the firm even though it didn't hit my stop loss and then they reopened it but didn't reinstate my stop loss or target. Very strange, and very dodgy! As I was left without a stop loss during the markets biggest down day in ages. Fortunately Barclays did well considering, but I'm not happy about that as they exposed me to unnecessary risk.

Re: Watchlist Addition

I've been going through stockcharts P&F scans and have found a possible short for my watchlist.

SYR.L

The P&F chart looks like it's close to breaking down. The price is currently at the support level, so I'm going to watch for any weakness during the week or a reversal.

Looks like I missed the short term move in this one that I flagged the other day. But it has triggered a P&F sell signal today as it broke it's uptrend line. It looks like it bounced back a fair bit though as it recovered 1ATR to finish at the -2ATR line which is where stocks frequently pivot. I am going to watch the retest of the 880 level and look to go short if it looks like it's pivoting there back to the downside.

Attachments

• SharpChartv05-4.png
    SharpChartv05-4.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 137
  • SYR_3ATR_22-2-11.png
    SYR_3ATR_22-2-11.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 132
I've been out today. But seems like the markets got all panicky. I guess without seeing any of the news that this is because of the Libya situation and fear of contagion to Saudi Arabia. Oh, just heard it's because of an oil supply disruption. Amazingly my OILW.L ETF in my ISA account was only up 0.6% today, which is pretty rubbish considering spot oil is up 5+%.

I noticed another strange occurrence with my spread betting firm when I got home. My Barclays trade was closed by the firm even though it didn't hit my stop loss and then they reopened it but didn't reinstate my stop loss or target. Very strange, and very dodgy! As I was left without a stop loss during the markets biggest down day in ages. Fortunately Barclays did well considering, but I'm not happy about that as they exposed me to unnecessary risk.

not sure I like what your SB firm did with Barclays, who do you use?

SYR.L

Well spotted for SYR. Did you select it by scanning visually through charts or by using software?

not sure I like what your SB firm did with Barclays, who do you use?

Yep I'm with Finspreads. I've noticed this once before as well. I don't think it's on purpose just a system fault. But it is making me consider moving, although I don't think there are any others that offer the small sizes like they do, so I might not have any option.

isa;

IGINDEX do a 'beginner's course for new traders (their Tradesense programme) that for 6 weeks lets you trade at first from the equiv. of 10/pt then 20p then 30p up to £2/pt.

Also, GEKKO markets, PADDYPOWER and others let you trade from £1/pt.

isa;

IGINDEX do a 'beginner's course for new traders (their Tradesense programme) that for 6 weeks lets you trade at first from the equiv. of 10/pt then 20p then 30p up to £2/pt.

Also, GEKKO markets, PADDYPOWER and others let you trade from £1/pt.

Finspreads minimum is 50p on UK stuff and about 31p on US stocks. I hardly ever get above that size as my max risk per trade is 0.5% of my account, but I frequently trade 0.2% or less. The other spread betting firms just won't let you do this and so I wouldn't be able to do proper money management with them. Beginners courses etc are fairly pointless as six weeks later you've got to trade larger sizes which would risk too much. Unless anyone knows of any firms that do a permanent 50p per point like Finspreads I think I don't have any other option as I haven't been able to find any.