IG Index - you've been warned!!!

"My starting balance was just over €1,000 and both of the above were to be executed at €7.50 per point"

So he risked what, 15% of his starter account on what was effectively one trade? I must be in a twilight zone here because I just reckon he's a prick and he's way out of his depth..and tbh threads like this posted by newbies smack of sock puppetry; trying to use t2w for negative publicity search ranking..

I find your attitude to this guy's misfortune to be abhorrent. You then describe posters who complain as "grief whores". What the f*ck is wrong with you? This forum exists for members to help each other, irrespective of the mistake(s) they may have made.

Some one once said '...I'll be a winner or I'll be a loser - but I won't be a sore loser...' There is something in this.

We all know that the SB's will screw them if they can and what better time to do it than when someone places a straddle during NFP ! It isn't a level playing field we know, but if you play on it, you gotta accept that..it's generally the way it is.

I find your attitude to this guy's misfortune to be abhorrent. You then describe posters who complain as "grief whores". What the f*ck is wrong with you? This forum exists for members to help each other, irrespective of the mistake(s) they may have made.

It takes all types- Black Swan's language might be a bit strong but he's a cuddly bear, once you get to know him. :)

Maudy cannot be helped. He can be sympathised with, but he can only help himself by learning from his mistakes. That spike has probably caught more than a few out, he won't be alone.

Spreadbetting firms do not need to be bent. The punters make enough mistakes on their own.

Some one once said '...I'll be a winner or I'll be a loser - but I won't be a sore loser...' There is something in this.

We all know that the SB's will screw them if they can and what better time to do it than when someone places a straddle during NFP ! It isn't a level playing field we know, but if you play on it, you gotta accept that..it's generally the way it is.

I think it's rather like retailing where a certain amount of theft and pilfering is to be expected, so long as it remains at an acceptable level retailers will put up with it as a cost of doing business. Likewise those with spreadbet accounts should accept a certain level of pilfering (eg slippage) as part of the game, on occasions though it goes too far and the shop gets cleared out, then the complaining starts.

the volatility that triggered the trade is shown clearly on slm, ig and fxcm (demo), i couldn't look at etx as they down for maintainance. the best view of it is on a 1 sec ig chart, hits op trade trigger and drops down to the price close out in a 1 sec bar. surely this isn't unfair slippage?

if you are setting orders and walking away then a valuable lesson here is surely to use the guaranteed stop if the sb broker has them.

this is similar in ilk to all the "i lost 25k" and "it's not my fault" and "i've been shafted" threads :rolleyes:

sorry if i'm negative about it maudy. i do sympathise with your loss, pick yourself up, dust yourself down and go again safely, with a revised plan :)

Mcqueen it might be an idea to read those threads properly before you start comparing them to this one. Although you sound a first class, winning strategy type trader.

It takes all types- Black Swan's language might be a bit strong but he's a cuddly bear, once you get to know him. :)

Maudy cannot be helped. He can be sympathised with, but he can only help himself by learning from his mistakes. That spike has probably caught more than a few out, he won't be alone.

Spreadbetting firms do not need to be bent. The punters make enough mistakes on their own.

There is no doubt that Maudy made a mistake. NFP day is not the time to be placing straddles with SB Cos. On this day, they can defraud clients, to their heart's content, and never come under suspicion by the ineffective FSA

"My starting balance was just over €1,000 and both of the above were to be executed at €7.50 per point"

So he risked what, 15% of his starter account on what was effectively one trade? I must be in a twilight zone here because I just reckon he's a prick and he's way out of his depth..and tbh threads like this posted by newbies smack of sock puppetry; trying to use t2w for negative publicity search ranking..
Haven't you had too many beers this evening.:)

Mcqueen it might be an idea to read those threads properly before you start comparing them to this one. Although you sound a first class, winning strategy type trader.

i have read all threads quite thoroughly thank you :) those were the days when it had to be done, like it or not! :whistling

...and have done so for many a year, and yes they all have a certain "ilk" about them. to spell it out to you it boils down to having stinker of a methodology, coupled with poor execution with an added dash of total lack of understanding or head in the sand approach of peril the account balance is in. your 25k thread has all these. good luck on your return.

"i have read all threads quite thoroughly thank you"...........

Well i question that, as if you had read my thread properly, you would have found that my suspicion with IG was why their low for the dax was virtually identical to the actual dax index, yet their low was way out and many pips lower than the actual dax. This created an inblance of their spread and also a question mark over why the ig lows were deeper, but their highs the same as the dax. The theme of my thread wasnt 'its all ig's fault' but rather asking a question of something which raised a suspicion. You would have also found that a lot of the criticism that was levelled was readily accepted. It was a poor, costly trade and my suspicion with ig only goes so far because on the other side of this coin was a successful period of trading that raised 25k from 6k so its not all bad. So no, i dont accept i fit in to the 'iv lost x amount and its all somebody elses fault' catagory. Thanks.

"i have read all threads quite thoroughly thank you"...........

Well i question that, as if you had read my thread properly, you would have found that my suspicion with IG was why their low for the dax was virtually identical to the actual dax index, yet their low was way out and many pips lower than the actual dax. This created an inblance of their spread and also a question mark over why the ig lows were deeper, but their highs the same as the dax. The theme of my thread wasnt 'its all ig's fault' but rather asking a question of something which raised a suspicion. You would have also found that a lot of the criticism that was levelled was readily accepted. It was a poor, costly trade and my suspicion with ig only goes so far because on the other side of this coin was a successful period of trading that raised 25k from 6k so its not all bad. So no, i dont accept i fit in to the 'iv lost x amount and its all somebody elses fault' catagory. Thanks.

well, i think you are trying to blame the sb for your plight, but like the op in this thread you'll bounce back stronger, as you both learn lessons that are required to stay solvent. good luck :)

Oh do fook off, he gambled 15% of his account with ten pip stops on NFP day...fook him, thanks for donating to mr market..

Dead right Graeme,

Don't hate the game and hate the players play the game and play the players..

pros tend to sit and wait on this day

which pro's

all the ones I've ever spoke to have moves priced in days before or cover positions. the spike and sell the day before was no accident we will see 11700+ very soon

Ignorant and ill mannered prick

Apologies to Black Swan for being abusive to him. I should have bitten my tongue :) but, I felt that he was unnecessarily arrogant and dismissive of Maudy's predicament.

Those of us who have traded for many years have made loads of mistakes. No one is born a trader; we all have to learn. It's a tough business.