FX Trade Setups, Entries, Management and Exit

Hi PB,
I'd been a member of T2W for a long, long time and had heaven knows how many trades under my belt before the penny dropped that so many aspects of trading are completely counter intuitive. I wouldn't go so far as to say if it 'feels' right - then it's probably wrong but, as a mental check for new traders, it's not a bad thought to keep in mind. However, that does't apply to experienced traders who have managed to re-wire their thinking to the extent that what was once counter intuitive is now intuitive - if that makes sense!

Take a look at this thread by Mr. Charts: How To Make Money Trading The Markets. You'll notice a key characteristic of many (not all) of his trades is to take long positions when the stock has broken out to new highs and to take short positions when it breaks down to new lows. This isn't an easy thing to do for many traders because in the back of their minds their intuitive logic tells them: 'there can't be anyone left to buy this stock because anyone who wanted to buy it would have done so by now. Having broken out to fresh highs it must be overbought and existing longs will be looking to take their profits. Therefore, I'll look to join the shorts and clean up on the inevitable pullback or reversal back down'.

This logic ties in with your comments about PuntFX waiting for a major move and then joining in on the premise that the current trend is more likely to continue than it is to change. It pays dividends for those that can do it well, but doing what is counter intuitive isn't a winning strategy all by itself. Sadly! Pullbacks and reversals to occur, obviously, and sometimes very sharply. As always, good traders are prepared for the worst and protect themselves for when things don't pan out.
Tim.
Great post timsk. Mr. Charts' thread was one of my first major time investments on this site. Although I don't trade US stocks, his approach is clean and clear. If counter-intuitive!

I've also received a number of similar warnings and caveats that trading this way requires perhaps the greatest skill and much experience and to always bear in mind, it's a numbers game and the only real control we have as traders is over our risk and money management - not the instrument itself.

Of course, there's momentum and momentum. If I have to squint to see it - it probably isn't there.

Whereas the gbp pairs were almost hitting me across the head with a piece of 2 X 4 and I still wasn't looking. Dope.

aud/jpy out at 92.18 for +3 on initial risk of 16. MFE 7. MAE 6. Doesn't momentum imply movement? 3 pips in an hour?

nzd/chf made the first lower low on current bar since the move up started on the 11:30 bar. Watching carefully. It's made a new high too, but even so. Prejudice toward killing rather than letting run.

nzd/chf long - expect a bit of a pushback from the century and weekly S2 just a pip above at 7501.

Stop up to 7491.

nzd/chf out at 7500 for +2 on initial risk of 18. MAE 8 MFE 4. Speaks for itself. Another hour - another pip.

It's no good pretending I'm not looking at a potential short on nzd/chf at the moment. It is in a technical down trend (on the 15 minute chart) and it is currently testing resistance - the Daily S2 at 7511 which is also where the 49 average just happens to be. Normally, that would be enough for me to wait for entry signals if the current bar closes as a down bar, but this time, I'll also be waiting to see if there is any real intent as evidenced by increased downward momentum and price action in term sof wick & body formations.

nzd/chf - not a shooting star as the wick wasn't at least twice the length of the body, but it did close down and on the low which is bearish.

Thanks purple Brain for all your efforts. Well I trade only the majors and by that I mean the six major currency pairs. It is not easy to trade all the six pairs at a time. So mainly I concentrate on the EU and the USD/JPY pair. Right now I am trading the EUR/USD and my bias is short I want to grind it down to 1.3386 inside that gap, if it finds support there, I will follow it up again to the top or resistance area of 1.35639. You know what? I expect it to crash again at that resistance level

All the best.

Thanks purple Brain for all your efforts. Well I trade only the majors and by that I mean the six major currency pairs. It is not easy to trade all the six pairs at a time. So mainly I concentrate on the EU and the USD/JPY pair. Right now I am trading the EUR/USD and my bias is short I want to grind it down to 1.3386 inside that gap, if it finds support there, I will follow it up again to the top or resistance area of 1.35639. You know what? I expect it to crash again at that resistance level

All the best.
What timeframe do you trade ForexLion?

I'm transitioning my trading methods at the moment so my comments are probably even less useful than they were before (possible?), but on the 15 minute charts I'm seeing a messy 40 pip range and only 80 pips in the range since that pump up to that 3563 level you mention on the 19th. I do have it showing as being in an up trend on the more traditional technical measures, so am delighted to find someone with a contrarian view.

I don't see any gap at 3386.

nzd/chf short - rationale: The 14:00 bar provided a high point with the subsequent two vars failing to breach that high. As per prior post the price appears to be finding resistance at the Daily S2 which coincides with the 49 average. There has been a bearish candle formation of a down bar with a long upper wick and the following up bar failing to breach that down bar's high. That was followed by another down bar and a lower low.

As I read what I've written above I reaise it's a bit like a fishing story - absolutely fascinating to the person telling it, but tedious beyond belief to anyone listening/reading.

I suppose 75005 technically is lower than 75015, but the century and weekly S2 are providing strong support. Lower highs over the last couple of bars suggest I should stay in.