FTSE100 July 2004

FTSE Beater

Thanks for your post
How did you manage to print the chart without it posting as a thumbnail ?

Regards

bracke

Thanks for the diamond.pdf Hooya - interesting. Looking through all the standard texts - Murphy, Edwards & Magee and Jiler - none of them require the diamond to show any symmetry. but the right hand side, which is a triangle, should show approximate symmetry - i.e. not a rising or descending triangle. Also they tend to be large formations rather than short term.

Good Morning All

I have been watching the market this morning since it opened, yes I really got out of bed that early !
I make the following observation

Last night after the close IBM posted good figures. This morning ftse falls and continues to do so for about 45 mins then it reverses with a vengance supposedly because of the IBM news ftse then it turns back down again.

My question. The IBM info was known when ftse opened so why did it not rise immediately rather than going down first ?

Might this be a case of manipulation. Send ftse down first to induce selling, then buy at lower levels to drive up the price and finally when as many as possible have been sucked in, sell, take the profit and have a nice weekend. Have I been watching too many conspiracy progammes on the television.

Regards

bracke

FTSE bounced on open near 7 points when the US futures would ahve indicated a fall of about 10 so maybe thats you answer

also if the US futures don't think IBM news is good then the FTSE definitely wont.

Hooya said:
FTSE bounced on open near 7 points when the US futures would ahve indicated a fall of about 10 so maybe thats you answer

also if the US futures don't think IBM news is good then the FTSE definitely wont.

Illogical. Why bounce 7, fall, rise, fall when the IBM news was known from the start.
It won't do.

Regards

bracke

usually the FTSE would have opened down 10 it bounced 7 so thats a unusual rise of 17. US futures still where they closed...I dont see what the big mistery is

Hooya said:
usually the FTSE would have opened down 10 it bounced 7 so thats a unusual rise of 17. US futures still where they closed...I dont see what the big mistery is

So an actual rise of 7 plus a notional rise of 10 gives a theoretical rise of 17 in response to the IBM news. So far so good. Then a fall, yes ok but then a biggish rise - why? Followed by a fall, which I take to be profit taking.

Regards

bracke

by then the news doesnt matter. Shouldnt read into the IBM thing too much. It could be open bounce profit taking, followed by support as per newsletter at 38.. bounce. profit taking at 2 day ma. Simple. I think you are trying to read to mcuh into why something is happening rather than what is happening. just my opinion

bracke said:
Illogical. Why bounce 7, fall, rise, fall when the IBM news was known from the start.
It won't do.

Regards

bracke

It was Options Expiry at 10:30 this morning.
Big Boys often move the index temporarily to where they want it
Glenn

Hooya said:
which page:) its a big book

In my edition (1986) it's 153 - 155

The section describes a diamond as a combination of an expanding and a symmetrical triangle. Volume should also expand during the expanding triangle phase, and contract during the symmetrical triangle phase.

Neither of the example charts show the diamond as symmetrical, although the Soybean meal chart shows the symmetrical triangle side (only) with some horizontal symmetry. It would appear that the use of the term "symmetrical Triangle" is to differentiate it from either a rising or descending triangle. A falling line of resistance and a rising line of support would appear to be enough to classify it as a symmetrical triangle, within reason.

Lots more examples in Edwards and Magee, and a couple in Jiler.

Hooya said:
by then the news doesnt matter. Shouldnt read into the IBM thing too much. It could be open bounce profit taking, followed by support as per newsletter at 38.. bounce. profit taking at 2 day ma. Simple. I think you are trying to read to mcuh into why something is happening rather than what is happening. just my opinion

Hooya & Glenn

Thank you for your replies. There is also an additional factor notice in the thumbnail below how ftse was resisted at the 100minute ma.

Regards

bracke

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 142
thanks...do they suggest than as it is a symmetrical triangle at the top of a moev that its a continuation
pattern?

bracke said:
Hooya & Glenn

Thank you for your replies. There is also an additional factor notice in the thumbnail below how ftse was resisted at the 100minute ma.

Regards

bracke

100 ema didn't have much effect yesterday though.
Look at the downtrend from yesterday's open across yesterday's tops.
Seems a stronger influence.
Just coming up to meet it again today ~4350

Glenn

I guess it depends what time frame. the 1 day ma worked a treat yesterday

:p
Glenn said:
100 ema didn't have much effect yesterday though.
Look at the downtrend from yesterday's open across yesterday's tops.
Seems a stronger influence.
Just coming up to meet it again today ~4350

Glenn

I thought that this might be of interest

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 169