FTSE, DAX, DOW Trading Ideas and discussions

long 209, decided previous res now support

sl -19 (the minimum number of stop loss pips my crappy Ayondo broker will allow on dow)

Mate, gonna leave the DOW alone and any other indices for hat matter until Greece sorts itself out. Monday should be interesting

sure, im just getting some practice in. i don't normally like 1 min scalping, but practice is practice and maybe i'll learn something

Having watched the DOW and other indices on NFP day, they tend to rally like this all the time then sell off - particularly the DOW. Let it have it's fun today and come back next week :D

Yea, but I'm talking about on the first break,i've noticed every time it pulls back down 10/20 points after breaking yesterdays high / low, then it continue with the move... I've been burnt recently from it trading the German 30 Rolling Daily.

It's a simple system that works. I'm glad your finding success in it too. I like setting order limits in the market at these levels to trigger. Just getting hit by the pull backs... Any advice?

Trading the Dax is tricky. The Dax is what i would i would term as a treacherous bitch lol. Just when u think u understand it, it drops and bites u. And sometimes no good reason it rallies like fast n furious. Before i delve into a DAx trade, i skim through the general news just to get an idea what themes are generally at play and see which theme is influencing that market. Then I'd analyse how that theme would affect the market's direction for the day. INtraday, i use the economic calendar as a guide to see whether the estimates would be positive or negative. Then , i would delve into the technicals to identify the psychological support n resistance levels i would trade. i.e buying volume depths, fibonaccis, rsi, dojis.

The key to a successful trading strategy on pullbacks is screen time. Many of my ex-colleagues who are succesful hedge fund traders will attest to that. Of course, there are many styles and different types of traders who are comfortable with their own techniques. Successful profitable trading is a journey where you would have to find one that best sticks with your level of expertise, time, character and your lifestyle. Good luck to all. I wish all in this thread happy profitable trading!

dow possibly over cooked
1 min
iel84x.gif

I'm back, and looking at some 1min dow scalps. PA is very slow so we're only looking at 7-10pt scalps if that.

full disclosure, i got burned a couple of weeks ago as i mentioned in my journal so these live calls i make will be on my demo, i'm using that while I get my mojo back.

first call: short 18192 from that so far solid res of 18200

e92ca051518885018c068b4ea1e12bbb.png

I shorted DOW at 2 levels: 18183 and 18200.

Tp on Monday or if theres at least 100pt pullback :rolleyes:

sure, im just getting some practice in. i don't normally like 1 min scalping, but practice is practice and maybe i'll learn something

Hey MA! I dont know about your style but trading on the smartphone is tricky for 1min scalping. The execution is slow n data feeds slow as compared to the pc. Im on a 4g lte line and ive compared to my pc and its slower by half a second. To me, that can be crucial if i want to get a gd entry /exit price. Unless youve good 4g connection, i think 3 or 5 min scalp is safer n more rewarding with a target of minimum 20 to 50 pips :cool:

dow possibly over cooked
1 min
iel84x.gif

Dow losing steam. With the poor NFP results, i doubt it can much further than the 18207 high of the day. Ive put limit orders to short 18206 n tp on the corrections towards the end of day. If not, wait Monday ;)

Hey MA! I dont know about your style but trading on the smartphone is tricky for 1min scalping. The execution is slow n data feeds slow as compared to the pc. Im on a 4g lte line and ive compared to my pc and its slower by half a second. To me, that can be crucial if i want to get a gd entry /exit price. Unless youve good 4g connection, i think 3 or 5 min scalp is safer n more rewarding with a target of minimum 20 to 50 pips :cool:

Yeah I don't like 1min scalps at all, I prefer longer term for my trading style, more points and less work. I was just doing it today to get some action in and to energise the thread back up, which it seems to have done without me so that's cool.:D

Hi Radin, just seen this, I am done for the day. I never trade the last half hour on friday.

But my two pennies worth, (defo waiting for monday aside) but only because I prefer pullback etc, this is breakout territory, so although it might explode up I would not take a trade at this time of the day.

If my bias were to turn short it would only be after a sneaky sell & drop after this little range here.

It's got a coily feel to it atm

I never enter on the dangling carrot anymore

Konnichiwa Tokyojoe-san!

Its a gd idea not to trade the last hour. I try not to either. As much as i can, I try to hit my daily target before the Dow premarket and close or rollover my medium to long trades to the following day.

You are right its in breakout territory and the markets top heavy atm, in anticipation of the Greek outcome come this Monday.

And yes, the markets are darn coily atm. Gd luck in your trades :D

Yeah I don't like 1min scalps at all, I prefer longer term for my trading style, more points and less work. I was just doing it today to get some action in and to energise the thread back up, which it seems to have done without me so that's cool.:D

1 min scalps are great if you dont have much screentime to invest or if you are trying to build up some equity or need to build up some momentum to get u going for the day. Its is also dangerous as u will more often times get caught out "out-of the money" with your stops as the market goes against u, like i have couple of days ago. For me, i am fortunate to be able to rollover my positions till they are profitable as each of my trade is position sized at 1 percent to max 5 percent of my account.

Still, i do 1 min scalps for a bullish trending Dax or the Nikkei for my side trades :p

1 min scalps are great if you dont have much screentime to invest or if you are trying to build up some equity or need to build up some momentum to get u going for the day. Its is also dangerous as u will more often times get caught out "out-of the money" with your stops as the market goes against u, like i have couple of days ago. For me, i am fortunate to be able to rollover my positions till they are profitable as each of my trade is position sized at 1 percent to max 5 percent of my account.

Still, i do 1 min scalps for a bullish trending Dax or the Nikkei for my side trades :p
+
i trade only on 1 minute data..
and
tick charts for dax premarket and the first 60 min of the open