divergence patterns

trying the 99 tick along with the 30 tick today and im up $320 for the day, im stopping now after only trading since 2pm on the er2 with 2 contracts................i think the charts worked well as they are closer together than the 610 and 20 tick i normally use, Im considering getting another monitor though so i can have 610,144,99, and 30 tick...........i think this could work well, im going to test it anyway and let you know..............today i looked for 99 tick to be going in my direction then entered when i saw divegence on the 30 tick in the same direction as 99, i kept my stop tight right on the pivot.........when i saw divergence on both 30 and 99 together the signal was excellent and this happened 3 times today for me...........i had 3 losers but i kept strict about my stop and nver moved it, and the most i gave up by doing this was 5 ticks so im very happy today as ive proven to myself that it is best to keep stops just above pivot or at pivot and do not be tempted to move it.

trying the 99 tick along with the 30 tick today and im up $320 for the day, im stopping now after only trading since 2pm on the er2 with 2 contracts................i think the charts worked well as they are closer together than the 610 and 20 tick i normally use, Im considering getting another monitor though so i can have 610,144,99, and 30 tick...........i think this could work well, im going to test it anyway and let you know..............today i looked for 99 tick to be going in my direction then entered when i saw divegence on the 30 tick in the same direction as 99, i kept my stop tight right on the pivot.........when i saw divergence on both 30 and 99 together the signal was excellent and this happened 3 times today for me...........i had 3 losers but i kept strict about my stop and nver moved it, and the most i gave up by doing this was 5 ticks so im very happy today as ive proven to myself that it is best to keep stops just above pivot or at pivot and do not be tempted to move it.

Good Trading Jay.....On the ER2 now....using 3min, 1min and 30tick. Currently Long from 36.5 entry from a 3min Histo Divergence twinned with 1min histo divergence, entered on the pullback. Stop's now flat but on entry was at 35.9.

hi all, i'm new to the forum, and this is my first thread...reading and posting....i want to greet you all..i want to know, what indicator is best used to spot out divergences and convergences on forex..thanks.
Sc.david.

I personally prefer the Stochastic Momentum Index. Admittedly, any oscillator eg RSI, MACD, TSI, Trix will work just as well.

im using an indicator that has been programmed and design by a fellow trader and programmer, has anyone else ever used such an indicator? , and if so do they actually perform any better than the custom ones we all have already?
My one seems to work great and i know it so well, but is it any better?

I dont think he's saying that he is?

Couldn't possibly comment on whether it's better JayJay without knowing anything about it. Glad it's working for you though....

im using an indicator that has been programmed and design by a fellow trader and programmer, has anyone else ever used such an indicator? , and if so do they actually perform any better than the custom ones we all have already?
My one seems to work great and i know it so well, but is it any better?

A couple of guys I know use an erogodic oscilator to pick divergance levels. They claim it to be much stronger than MACD. Unfortunatley don't get that on the charts I use so MACD will suffice.

i notice a few of you are using spreadbetting with your trading............can anyone advise me to whether im any better off using a broker and direct access platform like ninja trader?

would i get the same results or better with sb?, the reason i ask of course is there is no point doing this with a broker and paying tax (if i get consistently profitable that is), if i could get the same results sb'ing

The thing ive always thought was how could i go for small profit targets with sb, as the spread would mess me up..............but then of course i pay $4.60 a round turn so on 2 contracts thats $9.20 every trade i enter............with this all in mind, what would be the best option?

i just looked at igindex spread on the er2 and its like 5 ticks, so i guess i would be no better off then

i just looked at igindex spread on the er2 and its like 5 ticks, so i guess i would be no better off then

I am getting a 3 point spread at ODL markets. Capital Spreads also offer 3 point spread on ER2. By the time you have paid your commisions it probably works out about the same.

I have no real problems, and you can go smaller on S/B firm too whilst trying new stuff out..

I am getting a 3 point spread at ODL markets. Capital Spreads also offer 3 point spread on ER2. By the time you have paid your commisions it probably works out about the same.

I have no real problems, and you can go smaller on S/B firm too whilst trying new stuff out..

3 points or 3 ticks?.............a point to me is 1.0, where as a tick to me is 0.1?

thanks if you can clarify

Can i ask does every time the indicator disagree or does not match up to the price chart or vice versa, can we say this is divergence?................The reason i ask is because im seeing that some patterns are more powerful and reliable than others....................Do you guys take divergence trade set ups as being all set ups that do not match up with indicator or do you only take certain set ups?..........ie, only take set ups from when the indicator does not match up with price?, or when price does not match up with indicator?, or can we take both?, or is one more powerful than the other?

Im certainly noticing that one is more powerful than the other

Can i ask does every time the indicator disagree or does not match up to the price chart or vice versa, can we say this is divergence?................The reason i ask is because im seeing that some patterns are more powerful and reliable than others....................Do you guys take divergence trade set ups as being all set ups that do not match up with indicator or do you only take certain set ups?..........ie, only take set ups from when the indicator does not match up with price?, or when price does not match up with indicator?, or can we take both?, or is one more powerful than the other?

Im certainly noticing that one is more powerful than the other

I prefer taking the divergence from the price. So the stronger the price has moved the better the divergence IMO. In other words, the divergence on the indicator can be only marginal yet the price move has been strong, these I find are often the best setups.

thanks for the reply, well 3 ticks is very good...............gonna have to re think if i stay with broker, ill have to work it all out.

im currently doing some testing over a 3 day period only trading 3 hours per day............ill get back to you all with my results soon

like i said im doing some testing on my divergence set ups......................i have posted my divergence set ups below, im aware of other divergence like hidden, reserve etc, but i have found that 'regular divergence' to be the most reliable set ups, Ceydababy are these 'regular diveregence' the set ups you are talking about in your post about price divergence being more reliable???, just so im clear because i think the set ups below are ones you are talking about, if so then we both agree, if not and it's the other way round then it would be interesting for me to know anyway.

Do you guys only trade only regular or hidden?, or do you have no preference and trade both?.I personally prefer regular otherwise my brain gets overwhelmed and i like to keep it simple.........nkruger i would be interested to hear your views

Attachments

• mydivergencesetups.PNG
    mydivergencesetups.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:
people say its generally safer to trade divergence with the trend.......the problem with this is you do not normally get many set ups, and when market is strongly trending playing counter trend divergences appear to be dangerous..................so with that both in mind is it best to wait until market is not trending strongly to get the best set ups and possibly when market is ranging?

people say its generally safer to trade divergence with the trend.......the problem with this is you do not normally get many set ups, and when market is strongly trending playing counter trend divergences appear to be dangerous..................so with that both in mind is it best to wait until market is not trending strongly to get the best set ups and possibly when market is ranging?

Well, if you drop time frames you can get some really good divergences that go with the trend. IF the 3 minute is trending up try looking for 1 min divergence that goes with the up trend. Pretty sure you will find some and rather good they'll be too:)

hi everybody,this is my first post on this thread,(still reading it.)what interests me most is the fact that divergences(??is there such a word??)are being used as entry signals parse?i often use divergences for CONFIMATION/CONFLUENCE and are great signals but have not concidered entering possitionsonly using divergence as my only signal.please correct me someyone!!:eek:
anyway here is the last divergence which helped me into a winning trade.

Attachments

• divergence.gif
    divergence.gif
    48.4 KB · Views: 290