Diary of a swing spread better

As the shares that I am watching seem to be having difficulty in rising this morning, I decided to short SPW for 494.4. The reason is that I can see a possible pullback at this level.

Split

Splitlink said:
As the shares that I am watching seem to be having difficulty in rising this morning, I decided to short SPW for 494.4. The reason is that I can see a possible pullback at this level.

Split

SPW closed at 593.5 today so you haven't got a fat profit yet, Split :) Good luck with it. Your risk:reward ratio looks quite good with recent high of around 600.

Short the Dow

Decided to short the Dow March at 11127 with stop loss at 11157. It's been confined in the 11100-11130 range for the last few hours. I'll get out at 11100. I know the risk:reward ratio is pathetic and this is one of my 'impulse trades'.

I'll try not to make decision during the day.

Hi Hungvir,

I got out of REL yesterday, by the way, managed 1.5 point profit. See that, today it has gone down.

Split.

Splitlink said:
Hi Hungvir,

I got out of REL yesterday, by the way, managed 1.5 point profit. See that, today it has gone down.

Split.

Hi Split,

Good decision! I got a small profit from shorting the Dow yesterday. Haven't checked my CMC account but the one with Worldspreads looks like this. I've decided to use them for index trading only. The spread for shares is too large compared to CMC at the moment. I do like them and hope there'll be improvement on this front soon. Their online trading plastform is one of the simplest and accessible both at home and work.

Attachments

• p and l up to feb 28 06.jpg
    p and l up to feb 28 06.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 175
Small loss

I am in the pink/red at CMC, but just. All stop loss orders are in place and I am not worried about these long positions.

It's understandable that my long positions would suffer, at least for a while when I just pocketed a bit from an index short position. A good hedge, though.

Attachments

• position at CMC as of 28 Feb 06.jpg
    position at CMC as of 28 Feb 06.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 188
  • pending cmc 28 fbe.jpg
    pending cmc 28 fbe.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 180
No more trades today

I may not place any more trades today until I can find time to study the market. Went to bed early yesterday and did not have time to read in and look at charts. I believe that a bad night sleep can affect one's IQ so I always try to have enough sleep to stay sobber.

Vod

Both newswise and chartwise, VOD is a clear short play. I posted a VOD chart last week but hesitated and did not short it.

Attachments

• vod a short play.jpg
    vod a short play.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 186
hungvir said:
Both newswise and chartwise, VOD is a clear short play. I posted a VOD chart last week but hesitated and did not short it.
hung

hope it wasn't me that put you off :rolleyes:

For me it was yet another case of my rules winning out over my opinions - when will I learn.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
hung

hope it wasn't me that put you off :rolleyes:

For me it was yet another case of my rules winning out over my opinions - when will I learn.

good trading

jon

Hi Jon,

Absolutely not.

I just did not make my decision right then and haven't found any good opportunity to short it since. I'll keep waiting :)

I am also looking for a chance to short AZN but it seems to head up these days. Is it still in your short stable?

Good trading

Hung

A down day for the Dow

The Dow has fell more than 100 points. I should have trailed my profit taking order rather than got out totally this morning.

Another lesson learnt and I 'paid' about 70 pounds for it :)

Long Dow and FTSE

It's true that price falls three times as fast as it rises. That show that people tend to overreact, especially to bad news.

So, I decided to go long the DOW at 1103 and the FTSE 5771. Stop loss orders haven't been placed yet. I don't actually see the need to at the moment :)

Stop loss orders will be placed at 5623 for the FTSE and 10739 for the DOW. I'll close half of both positions when the indices move up 80-100 points. The stop loss will be brought to break even point.

It's your play, Hungvir, but I do not agree with a stop so far away, unless you have a mental stop to get you out sooner. Neither do I agree with overnight trading on the Indices.

Good Luck with it, anyway.

Split

Splitlink said:
It's your play, Hungvir, but I do not agree with a stop so far away, unless you have a mental stop to get you out sooner. Neither do I agree with overnight trading on the Indices.

Good Luck with it, anyway.

Split

Hi Split,

I agree that stop loss distance is folly in this case: :( But I do have a mental stop to get out at a loss of 100 points maximum.

Anyway, both indices have been moving in my favour so I'll move stop loss to break even.

Good talking to you.

Hung

Here's the P&L

Attachments

• unrealised profit at worldspreads.jpg
    unrealised profit at worldspreads.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 162
Could not access T2W for a while. There had probably a problem with the server.

Stop sell orders have been placed for the FTSE and the DOW at 5798 and 11009 respectively. So far I haven't left any winning trades to become losing ones.

I can see that overreaction to Google's 'bad news' brought the market down yesterday but I don't see any truly good news for them to go up today. Well, except for Bush's surprise visit to Afghanistan.

May be there are just many people like myself who buy into the market at the level that they missed out once.

Best of luck to myself!

To watch

hungvir said:
Short
- AZN - stop sell 2610/ stop buy 2666 once position is open
- LSE - limit sell 850/ stop buy 861

Long
- LLOY - limit buy 560/ stop sell 538

To watch

Short
RTR - need 3 days up
RNK -
VOD

Two more stocks to watch
Cable and Wireless
Emap

Today promises to be an up day. CNN predicts a rebound.

hungvir said:
Hi Split,

I agree that stop loss distance is folly in this case: :( But I do have a mental stop to get out at a loss of 100 points maximum.

Anyway, both indices have been moving in my favour so I'll move stop loss to break even.

Good talking to you.

Hung

Nice rise, Hung. Maybe I should disagree with you more often, to bring you good luck! Mine, SPW, is one of a very few going down, so I am pleased, too. Trying to find something else to add. What do you think of MKS, another pullback, like SPW? If REL would go down a little more
I might be tempted to go long again. A lot of my other favourites hit highs within the past 2/3 days, so I consider that today is too soon for pullbacks.

Split

Splitlink said:
Nice rise, Hung. Maybe I should disagree with you more often, to bring you good luck! Mine, SPW, is one of a very few going down, so I am pleased, too. Trying to find something else to add. What do you think of MKS, another pullback, like SPW? If REL would go down a little more
I might be tempted to go long again. A lot of my other favourites hit highs within the past 2/3 days, so I consider that today is too soon for pullbacks.

Split

Thanks, Split.

ADVFN hung up on me so I haven't had a chance to look at MKS yet. But well done on the SPW! Even better that it bucks today's up trend.

From what I read, people are expecting a choppy period in the next 2 or 3 weeks until the FED meets by the end of March. It's the case of no news trading or sort of.

By the way, the FTSE is holding its breath waiting the Dow's open. I'll probably take 50 quids profit later today and let the rest run.

Good trading

Hung

Attachments

• FTSE March 1 awaiting the dow.jpg
    FTSE March 1 awaiting the dow.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 181