Diary of a swing spread better

The Pesavento seminar seems like a good deal. Two free books, £75 for opening an account with Cityindex and the seminar itself for just £250.

If anyone's thinking about going, pls let me know. A chance to say an a nonvirtual hello.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hung

Another down day for the DOW. I expected this.

Looking at the big picture, I would still go long the DOW if Monday is a down day and RSI registers strong oversold.

Attachments

• dow end of march 31.jpg
    dow end of march 31.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 157
  • dow big picture.jpg
    dow big picture.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 137
'oq'

It's 'our quote' again with City Index. The best way to avoid being stopped out unnecessarily by 'OQ' is not placing a stop loss order at all and using mental stop. Provided that the trigger can surely be pulled.

Attachments

• our quote.jpg
    our quote.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 132
Risk/reward

It's quite strange that risk/reward ratio did not enter into my decision making process at all during the last few trades. I just thought about the possible direction of the market but did not quantify it.

For trading the DOW intra day, the best r/r ratio for me would be 5:15, 8:24 or 10:30. The time frame would be 15-30 minutes.

My first play with my strategy, going ok so far, only tinkering with parameters at the moment so not a proper test really but thought id post it anyway :)

Shorted the dow on 24 march after sell signal (colour bar changed from blue to red) still in the trade as I still have red bars although they are now getting near the green centre line and as previously may reverse soon as the general trend appears up I think. Should get a green bar at the bottom when a reversal starts or is near.

:)

Attachments

• cap spreads2.jpg
    cap spreads2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DOW 240 MIN.JPG
    DOW 240 MIN.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 160
hungvir said:
It's 'our quote' again with City Index. The best way to avoid being stopped out unnecessarily by 'OQ' is not placing a stop loss order at all and using mental stop. Provided that the trigger can surely be pulled.

Mental stops are what I use. It iliminates being stopped out by spike action. However, maybe it is better to have some kind of stop way beyond, one that you don't think will be touched, just to save you losing more than is acceptable?

When I was telephone trading with City Index, before the online started, one of my phone calls was not obeyed, with the result that I was open when I should have been closed. They politely told me that I had to prove it, because their dealers did not make those kind of mistakes.

I was index trading at the time and my potential loss was running into several thousand pounds. Fortunately, for me, I lived in Spain and international calls are logged. Telefonica came up with the dates and times for the period, posted them to me and there were four calls that morning, where CI said that there were only three. Open, close, open close- I knew I was right. CI were full of apologies and they altered my account to show a 500 pound profit.

However, it was the end a of a good relationship. I didn't feel comfortable with them and closed the account.

The web seems to have corrected the possibilities of making that kind of mistake as the account status is on view, but the story has a lesson that would have cost me dearly if I had lived in the UK. With local calls, how could I have proved that I was right?

Remember that , sometimes, it is necessary to close a position by phone so protect yourselves in some way. With big positions (for me) I ring again to confirm my position if I am away from my computer and can't check my account.

Split

Splitlink said:
Mental stops are what I use. It iliminates being stopped out by spike action. However, maybe it is better to have some kind of stop way beyond, one that you don't think will be touched, just to save you losing more than is acceptable?

When I was telephone trading with City Index, before the online started, one of my phone calls was not obeyed, with the result that I was open when I should have been closed. They politely told me that I had to prove it, because their dealers did not make those kind of mistakes.

I was index trading at the time and my potential loss was running into several thousand pounds. Fortunately, for me, I lived in Spain and international calls are logged. Telefonica came up with the dates and times for the period, posted them to me and there were four calls that morning, where CI said that there were only three. Open, close, open close- I knew I was right. CI were full of apologies and they altered my account to show a 500 pound profit.

However, it was the end a of a good relationship. I didn't feel comfortable with them and closed the account.

The web seems to have corrected the possibilities of making that kind of mistake as the account status is on view, but the story has a lesson that would have cost me dearly if I had lived in the UK. With local calls, how could I have proved that I was right?

Remember that , sometimes, it is necessary to close a position by phone so protect yourselves in some way. With big positions (for me) I ring again to confirm my position if I am away from my computer and can't check my account.

Split

Hi Split,

I am glad to hear your happy ending story about City Index. I think most of the SB firms make mistake at one time or another. And they also evolve over time.

Thanks for the suggestion about stops. I think I'll do that.

Later,

Hung

don_h said:
My first play with my strategy, going ok so far, only tinkering with parameters at the moment so not a proper test really but thought id post it anyway :)

Shorted the dow on 24 march after sell signal (colour bar changed from blue to red) still in the trade as I still have red bars although they are now getting near the green centre line and as previously may reverse soon as the general trend appears up I think. Should get a green bar at the bottom when a reversal starts or is near.

Good one, Don.

I think it may be time to realise half the profit. This is still a bull market and there're people like me looking for a good entry on the long side:)

Have a good weekend!

Hung

hungvir said:
Good one, Don.

I think it may be time to realise half the profit. This is still a bull market and there're people like me looking for a good entry on the long side:)

Have a good weekend!

Hung

Thanks Hung good advice indeed, but at these early stages of development I will stay short to the max until the buy to close signal then buy to open for the next swing up. Agreed Dow charts are bullish at the mo

Not sure about the bull continuing if oil keeps going up though id keep an eye on those oil futures ;)

cheers
Don

Attachments

• clfclose.gif
    clfclose.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 155
Hi Don,

I agree the bull can't keep going at this speed. I guess there'll be quite a dip to come. The ISA season here in the UK is at an end and most of this money should find its way into the stock market among others soon. After that new buyers would not be easy to find while profit takers are lurking arounds.

But until the chart tells us otherwise, the bull market is still here.

Later,

Hung

What a share!

Man group proves to be a real darling of the City.

And it's not going to disappoint .

Looking at the chart, everything if not more is already factored in the price. But buy high sell higher still stands a chance. I am waiting for a dip though.

Attachments

• emg march 31.jpg
    emg march 31.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 147
AZN is still a buy. If it drops for two more days, I'll buy when it moves up from there.

Attachments

• azn.jpg
    azn.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 139
Pru

Stop buy order for Prudential at 684, stop loss at 653.5. The gap is filled and I am happy to go long with a good price and quite a decent place to put a stop loss.

Fins only accepts phone orders for PRU. Their spreads is just one point higher than CMC.

Will buy June contract. Pru will pay dividend in August and the share price will be adjusted accordingly.

Attachments

• long pru.jpg
    long pru.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 130
CMC does not accept orders at the moment. Will buy Pru june at 691 on Monday, stop loss at 659.

Tempted to buy TPK but they'll go ex-dividend on April 19.

Attachments

• tpk.jpg
    tpk.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 136
Not a single Marc Rivalland on Swing Trading book on ebay, it must be good then.

So I have entered the dow competition on the front page to try and win it :LOL:

don_h said:
Not a single Marc Rivalland on Swing Trading book on ebay, it must be good then.

So I have entered the dow competition on the front page to try and win it :LOL:

Good luck, Don! Would it be worth your time though?!

It's a good book. He kept everything pure and simple.

Had I strictly followed the principles laid down in the book, I would have been much better off. But I learned a lesson and will.

Best,

Hung

Marks & Spencer

Will buy MKS if it rose above 568 tomorrow. I am actually a bit late in catching the new up swing, but just by 8 points. Stop loss at 543.5.

The Sunday Times said Deutsche Bank has upgraded their price target to 625p a share and this is their fifth upgrade in the last nine months.

And if you're one of the 63,000 working for M&S, a bonus is coming your way. According to the Sunday Times, everyone including all floor workers will share the bonus pot of 60 million pounds.

M&S's profit is predicted to top one billion in 2008, a decade after it slipped from that level.

Attachments

• mks.jpg
    mks.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 136
  • dates.jpg
    dates.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 152
hungvir said:
Good luck, Don! Would it be worth your time though?!

It's a good book. He kept everything pure and simple.

Had I strictly followed the principles laid down in the book, I would have been much better off. But I learned a lesson and will.

Best,

Hung

Thanks Hung

Takes no time at all to enter, its a bit of fun for me really. only clairvoyants stand a chance of winning, wheres mystic meg when you need her :LOL:

I dont have many books on trading I prefer to surf for information which is how I ended up on T2W :D
one book I did like a lot was Getting Started in Technical Analysis by Jack Schwager. Martin Prings Technician's Guide to Day and Swing Trading was also good IMO.

If you dont mind me asking is your strategy based around Rivalland's work only or are you trying various tactics?

cheers

Don

Hi Don,

When the market is trending, my strategy is to follow M Rivalland's way coupled with RSI and moving averages just to gauge the market's sentiment and avoid entries when the market is overbought/oversold for long/short.

For day trading, I am testing out 90-120 minute support/resistance lines with at least four touches. If the line is breached, I'll watch for a good opportunity to join the crowd.

I also look at patterns like triangle, head and shoulders, double/tripple bottoms/tops...

But the key thing is money management, I would think. Losing fingers and winning arms :)

Later,

Hung