Diary of a swing spread better

hungvir said:
It looks like a big flag to me in the chart. Anyone can shed some light on this?!

Cheers,

Hung

Bull flag, which as I type has just broken to the upside. Bit late in the day for me to trade but we could see 10980 again

hungvir said:
Thanks for the charts, Slaps! I am quite suprised that you had problems with Fins. It's so far so good for me. They do close me out at two or three points below my stop/limit order level but I would expect this from the bookies.

But with all the issues we've been having, big spreads, skewed prices and system problems, I think the sooner we can afford to trade the market direct, the better. But it won't happen soon for me though. I am still not willing to risk the amount required to trade the real market.

Good trading,

Hung

I supose it's because you are trading the Dow, which is volatile. My market stops with London shares are spot on and I was wary until you told me that you used market stops.

Split

I'd make it 90 based on the previous calculation, but, like you, too late in the day.

hungvir said:
It looks like a big flag to me in the chart. Anyone can shed some light on this?!

Cheers,

Hung
And Hung beat us all to it, by some margin..

I am glad I did not run from one trade to another. Little miss DOW did not go below 10958. There were five touches on the 10958ish support line.

Attachments

• dow17.jpg
    dow17.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 162
Splitlink said:
I supose it's because you are trading the Dow, which is volatile. My market stops with London shares are spot on and I was wary until you told me that you used market stops.

Split

I am glad that there're still enough positive reports to make us stick to Fins. To be honest I quite like it and it may be among the least worst options :)

Have a good night!

Hung

chindl said:
And Hung beat us all to it, by some margin..

LOL.. It's just that I posted as soon as I saw it :)

And there have been more touches to the support line.

Attachments

• dow18.jpg
    dow18.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 164
We're seeing the 56-81 Darvas box. I don't think anyone can think out of this box for the next five minutes :)

Have a good night everyone!

Cheers,

Hung

Attachments

• dow19.jpg
    dow19.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 148
Elefteros said:
went short at 10964 looking for a bounce down to 10940ish

Are you still in the trade, Eleft! It did come down to 10956 but there was very strong support there.

Good trading,

Hung

chindl said:
Took out a gravestone doji like it wasn't even there. Near to the days high. Now I have a twitchy finger - missed that lovely reversal at 19:10 and look where it went. Will it bounce off the high of the day? V. oversold!

Hi Chris,

Why did you call it a 'gravestone doji'?! What message does it bring with it?!

Thanks,

Hung

hungvir said:
Are you still in the trade, Eleft! It did come down to 10956 but there was very strong support there.

Good trading,

Hung
hope you had good day . having bother with futures ladder. thought i had put stop in 25points away to find i had limit order which sold straight away. in a fast moving market its easy to make a mistake . cost me 10pips. luckily i got them back .

Still in hung stop is at 10989 so i may leave it overnight, it tends to draw back towards the center after hours at some point

Elefteros said:
Still in hung stop is at 10989 so i may leave it overnight, it tends to draw back towards the center after hours at some point

Good luck with it! I still don't hold positions overnite at the moment. I have a feeling that sooner or later will see 10700 again. It will be nice, won't it ?! :)

dcarrigan said:
hope you had good day . having bother with futures ladder. thought i had put stop in 25points away to find i had limit order which sold straight away. in a fast moving market its easy to make a mistake . cost me 10pips. luckily i got them back .

Thanks, Dcarrigan! Not the best day but 20 points for 90 min work was not too bad either.

Glad that you got the missing points back :)

Cheers,

Hung

Went long off the late touch on the 100ema for +10.

Now, this isn't what I'd normally do but I'm glad I did because I've found something out about IG Index that I didn't know.

I placed the trade at just before 8:50 and went to close the trade at 9pm. The platform wouldn't let me trade, kept getting an error and then a message stating the market was unavailable?!?!

What happens is IG quote for the day from 9pm - 9pm, so at 9pm their system changes the dates to 29/06 and whilst (I assume) all the orders are being sorted out you can't do anything with your trade (over the web). When looking at the realtime statement the position was still open.

Luckily I set a limit distance which was hit during the time I was unable to close the order, the system has now returned to life and my trade has been closed at the correct price. I'm just thankful I put a limit on which was hit almost dead on 9pm. Certainly a nervous few mins whilst I was trying to close the order.

Looks like a Worldspreads test will be on the cards tomorrow.

Anyway, ended the day +23 so pleased with that. Bit disappointed that I missed the big move. Still, tomorrow is another day and other opportunities.

Slaps,

My experience with WS has been just so so. But I don't want to trade with them when I am home because Fins has the look and feel that I am more familiar with and they offer more types of orders.

Having said that, the one point spread is just too good to resist at work where Fins' platform just drops dead. I just wish that WS took market price and offered stop/limit orders among others.

Talking about daily returns, I think we all seem to have too high an expectation. I think all the great fund managers dare not dream of a five per cent return every month. So if we can do that, that's already brilliant.

Best,

Hung

I think Chartman would have enjoyed today. :)
After the slide to 10900 cash, a textbook 3 cycle triangle developed and started looking bullish after 6.30 which presaged a large breakout on good volume. Will the Fed take us up or down tomorrow though? Often there's a big move one way (in 3 distinct steps real / fake / real) then t'other on Friday.

PS Hung - fund managers aren't traders and their performance on average is abysmal. Remember they get paid for managing not on performance so they can afford to be sheep and blame the market if their funds do badly. In fact most outfits will have a high beta and a low beta fund so that they have one which beats the index in bull market and another they can pull out and say it didn't do as badly as the index in a bear market. Cunning hey?

Besides, if you limit your expectations it will be reflected in your results. Aim high (but always keep the risk small). :) You took some good longs on the pullbacks today by the looks of it. Well done. Keep taking 10-20 points per day and 20% a month is very achievable. But think of the difference direct access would make. Yeah I know I keep going on about it but you seem a diligent chap - why compromise your chances by messing around with bookies? They will kill your bottom line if you trade several times a day with them. But that said if you can make 5% a month with SB then you are well on your way.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    113 KB · Views: 168
I guess it's the knowledge that you knew a move was about to happen and missed it. To be honest I've already forgotten about it because I know there will be plenty more opportunities to come.

I too like the Fins platform and I'm happy with IG's also, I guess what happened tonight was a "feature" of their system. I'll need to speak to them to find out why it happens.

Cheers
S

hungvir said:
Hi Chris,

Why did you call it a 'gravestone doji'?! What message does it bring with it?!

Thanks,

Hung
Hi Hung
It is called a gravestone doji because it actually looks like a gravestone. Usually, the message that comes with it is equally bad. It signals that the market opened at the level, moved to the top of the range and then swiftly moved back. Whilst any doji or hammer for that matter is a a strong reversal signal, I believe that a gravestone is the strongest of the doji and hammer signals. Obviously, would have more relevance the longer the timeframe, but candles work on all timeframes, just look at how the two hammers held 58 so many times on the one min. There was a similar situation at the open with two inverted hammers around the 50 mark.

Hope this helps.

Slaps - do you have Nisons book on candles, this has some good scenarios on target setting, especially on flags and pennants etc. Let me know if you haven't got the book.

Chris