DB an Geo's Smallcap Smorgasbord

we could be looking at a drop in the FTSE to 5380 over the next few days due to corrections in BP and HSBC.

I guessed it was something like that.... good luck
IMO when I am convince into something I go for the "Jackpot" but with profit I buy olive trees..... ;):)

hmmm i dont think the olive trees would fair to well here in Geneva.

welcome to the thread CL. plz feel free to share any analysis/views you have on UK equities or any relating instrument. :)

Thanks, well from my post yesterday you can see I am bullish got in on the miners in particular, got in some nice positions on both blt and rio which are running nicely, looking to add when targets are met. Now is a big time when we find out what the Chinese markets are looking at in the base metals markets a good time to keep an eye on stockpiling and see how the miners them self react to this

Keeping an eye on copper right now, along with as I said the Chinese getting involved first into the new year we also have the fact that the strike in Chile has just pushed it through important levels, upside on this is huge I am long and planning on adding to the position on any pull backs, looking for it to hit around 7800, if it goes through that fill your boots up with as much as you can get.

interesting CL.

i've been watching african copper (ACU) for a while.

could be a potential ten bagger if the copper market shapes up as you predict.

interesting CL.

i've been watching african copper (ACU) for a while.

could be a potential ten bagger if the copper market shapes up as you predict.

yeah i keep an eye on acu, randgold is another good one as well it has some good movements. If coppers performance is anything like 2009 then it should be a very nice position to have.

bravo , bravo ............

very nice thread Dr B, just got the link from Geofract.

which stocks are you looking at and currently hold .......please list them and I will post charts of all of them for you!!

thanks

I trade the commodity markets mainly metals and oil, this is my first dabble into the cash markets so i naturally went with the miners. Using the same risk/reward and money management i use currently just adjusted to the different volatility.

bought blt 20.25, stop 19, 4000 shares, target is at 22

bought rio 34.30, stop 31, 2000 shares, target is at 40

Thought i would add the stops are pre decided from an automated program i run on excel mainly testing volatility through current and historical data.

An update on these positions, both running nicely as expected.

BLT added 2000 more shares at 20.80 Target is still set for 22

Rio Added 1000 shares at 36.10 Target still set at 40 although planning to cut half and run the remaining shares looking for longer term position more towards mid 40s to 45

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to this site. Not an experienced trader but have worked in base metals. From my perception of the cycles base metals have taken over the last 3 years or so I can see copper progressing towards $8000. Therefore I have invested a small amount of money in ACU recently.

Crude_lover, which sites do you use to trade commodities? (Do you trade base metals - I don't believe IG index offer these on my a/c

Hi, I am new to this site. Not an experienced trader but have worked in base metals. From my perception of the cycles base metals have taken over the last 3 years or so I can see copper progressing towards $8000. Therefore I have invested a small amount of money in ACU recently.

Crude_lover, which sites do you use to trade commodities? (Do you trade base metals - I don't believe IG index offer these on my a/c

I trade the options and futures through the LME select platform rather than spread betting. I think you will find it hard to find a spread betting company who offer a reasonable spread on stuff like copper.

Yes thats what I thought. I used to work on the LME platform as a clerk. Thanks for your help, I will stick to betting on stocks and maybe a bit of gold when i gain enough knowledge to be confident in doing so.

Yes thats what I thought. I used to work on the LME platform as a clerk. Thanks for your help, I will stick to betting on stocks and maybe a bit of gold when i gain enough knowledge to be confident in doing so.

Depending how much you have in your account i would definitely suggest trying the base metals through one of the ring dealers, someone like man financial or marex etc also i know the lme just became tradeable on the TT platform so its another option other than the lme select. Personally for me although gold can be good to trade i just prefer the movements and reactions of the base metals.
Especially i am not sure if you are aware but a few minor metals are going to start trading on the lme in february paticularaly molybdenum and cobalt which should be good.

bravo , bravo ............

very nice thread Dr B, just got the link from Geofract.

which stocks are you looking at and currently hold .......please list them and I will post charts of all of them for you!!

thanks

hello matey! nice of you to drop by me old china :)

not been around much recently WS, i've got a couple of long term positions that i'm trying my best to hold until the spring, so not had much cause to be doing the forum/trader type thing.

charting the small caps is a bit weird as some of them are so illiquid that old Mrs. Higginbottom buying a 100 quids worth can cause a seismic shift in the share price...

but, i currently hold RGM and TMP.

off the top of my head i'm watching ACU, provexis, synchronica, sareum, uranium resources, mwana africa, frontier mining, pangea diamond fields, gasol...in fact, i watch about 30, but not that closely recently to be honest.

hope your trading is going well btw mate. :)

welcome to the thread hoops. the more the merrier!

hope your ACU buy goes well.

This may be a bit off topic, but I would love to learn more about small caps.
What criteria do you guys use when deciding which stocks to place on your watch list?
How do you avoid info overload from the sheer amount of stocks traded?
I presume you trade mainly on technical criteria .... where can you get the best up to date charts?

Thanks a lot & appologies for the seemingly newbie questions.

Oh & dr blix ..... what part of North Korea are you from?

This may be a bit off topic, but I would love to learn more about small caps.
What criteria do you guys use when deciding which stocks to place on your watch list?
How do you avoid info overload from the sheer amount of stocks traded?
I presume you trade mainly on technical criteria .... where can you get the best up to date charts?

Thanks a lot & appologies for the seemingly newbie questions.

Oh & dr blix ..... what part of North Korea are you from?

welcome to the thread spreader legger.

re learning more about smallcaps, just look at some charts! (and try to pick ones with the least crippling speads)

re charts, pro-realtime offer free EOD charts with a decent amount of analytical tools.

re the criteria for picking stocks. that is wholly individual, as everyone trades in different ways. if you trade intra-day, your criteria will be different to if you swing/position trade over longer TFs. you'll find your own criteria once you discover the companies that motivate you to want to trade in them.

re assuming the trade is technical: with smallcaps, in my opinion, technical data is slightly less relevant as it may be with large liquid instruments. news and data have an equally high relevance. smallcaps are high risk, so news/data can either cause traders to drop them like a hot potato, or buy them like they're going out of fashion. pairing this with a potential low share-price value and low liquidity means that you can lose lots of money very quickly. add to this the sometimes enormous spreads and you may find it will make your risk management strategy that much harder.