DB an Geo's Smallcap Smorgasbord

Thanks for the replies
Blix; 0.5% seems like a large loss to start a trade with but i suppose its dependent on how much your aiming for; I've no intention of Day-trading Uk stocks, - Position/swing trading them using Weekly/Monthly charts over long-periods of time; But still, i think i would have a psychological problem of opening up at -0.5% so i'm going to have to think about this.

Weighbridge pointed out to be that in a CFD/SB account; You would be utilising leverage (not something i want) regardless of your capital and this would incur an interest rate charge, which for shorts is even larger.

Mmmmm... Also; I don't think i'll be trading small cap, more like FTSE 250 - Just because of its out-performance of the other UK indices and higher volatility as an index (But maybe add the FTSE 100 too) and just study the sectors and trade directional plays based on buying declines and support.
Whats the appeal in smallcaps ?

what??? about the guide thing?

blimey mate...i talk a lot of nonsense but i'm never malicious in anyway...(well, jonboy used to get on my t1ts but that was about it :cheesy:)

No, didn't think you were being malicious at all! :)

ok, i'm hoping i've weathered the storm on my E$ long.

i opened @ 969 before what i'm hoping was a 50% retrace before the final push onto 15000, moved my stop now to 955 in the hope that this 4H candle won't get its bottom felt again (so to speak).

my sell limit is 995 giving me roughly a 1:2 R/R.

i'll see what happens in the morning, i have absolutely no doubt i'll be stopped out, as that's simply how it works :)

Good luck DB. If you do get stopped, then look for a new entry at 6.30-7.00 am, as this is when the market is gonna move nice and quick, and direction is easier to follow imho.

In a sense E$ is 4H rangebound, until we start to make new highs or lows on H4, as there is no follow through in either direction. I favour longs though tbh.

Whats the appeal in smallcaps ?

well, i used to try and trade 100 companies...too difficult i found, not enough volatility...but then i have no clue what i'm doing really.

the thing that i found interesting with smallcaps is the phenomenal price rises after investment banks and hedge fund companies realised the all clear had been sounded over the summer. the breakout of 4500 sparked a free-for-all on a lot of smallcaps that shocked a newbie like me (never witnessing a crash-recovery before), i saw barclays buying up every smallcap miner it could lay its hands on.

then i developed a half-@rsed way to trade them, which was to simply wait for an enormous price hike and trade the subsequent 50% retracements.

not particularly sophisticated but it worked for a while. i think it'll work again once we clear what could be another rangebound period.

high risk, but the potential for huge price increases as long as you don't wet your knickers and close your position after taking 10% (as i do).

Oh Stop it; You know my husband wouldn't like this.

Names Gary by the way.

Gary X?

Malcolm's long lost brother? moved, as a boy, from Nebraska to Essex? now known as Gladiator?

was it a civil partnership with you and your husband gary?

:cheesy:

Gary X?

Malcolm's long lost brother? moved, as a boy, from Nebraska to Essex? now known as Gladiator?

was it a civil partnership with you and your husband gary?

:cheesy:

My names not Gary.

Sorry to disappoint.

My name is Maximus Desimas Mermaid, commander of armies of the call of duty game, General of nothing, loyal servant to my stomach, Mr.Max. Father to a murdered, well no-one, husband to a murdered wife, well, no thats a lie. And i will have my vengeance, in this hour, or the next.

ok, i'm hoping i've weathered the storm on my E$ long.

i opened @ 969 before what i'm hoping was a 50% retrace before the final push onto 15000, moved my stop now to 955 in the hope that this 4H candle won't get its bottom felt again (so to speak).

my sell limit is 995 giving me roughly a 1:2 R/R.

i'll see what happens in the morning, i have absolutely no doubt i'll be stopped out, as that's simply how it works :)

well would you adam and eve it! i didn't get stopped out. (although i moved my stop back to 20 pips before i went to bed). i had a res line @ 015, but didn't want to push my luck...so anyway

+31 pips on my overnight position. :)

(technically that has now hit my target so i shouldn't be doing any FX today :whistling)

pants! it was + 26 pips...thought i'd put my limit sell @ 000 instead of 995 (gutted i didn't put it @ 015!)...

anyhoo, that leaves me 4 pips to reach my daily target (so i can get my 'fix' today after all :whistling )

geo...i would have thought it safe to use a 1H TF for the first 4 hours to trade retracements as you would be inside of any new 4H movements for bias info...does that make sense??

i don't think i've described that very well.

did u get in at the retracement geo (E$ retrace to 010)?

i was getting breakfast...i should have set an order up...

something else has just occurred to me geo. as oil, dollar index, E$ and gold are the key players...using bias change analysis on them could give a real insight into where they will all be going (obviously keeping an eye on the news/data for the curve-balls too)...

as all the above are interlinked and drive many other markets, the analysis and tradinf of them would be a really useful learning experience i think.

also 4 X the profits if you can do it well.

whadya reckon mr. girl guide man???

geo...i would have thought it safe to use a 1H TF for the first 4 hours to trade retracements as you would be inside of any new 4H movements for bias info...does that make sense??

i don't think i've described that very well.

Maybe :) Not sure I quite get that.

did u get in at the retracement geo (E$ retrace to 010)?

i was getting breakfast...i should have set an order up...

No

Now I would wait for a 50% + retrace from todays high (not sure we've seen that yet) and yesterdays low, before looking to go long. At least that's what I am looking for with the fib pull back strat.

something else has just occurred to me geo. as oil, dollar index, E$ and gold are the key players...using bias change analysis on them could give a real insight into where they will all be going (obviously keeping an eye on the news/data for the curve-balls too)...

as all the above are interlinked and drive many other markets, the analysis and tradinf of them would be a really useful learning experience i think.

also 4 X the profits if you can do it well.

whadya reckon mr. girl guide man???

Not sure. Let me ask Brown Owl :LOL:

Yeah, you're right. I have watched E$ to trade the FTSE recently, because often E$ will move before the FTSE. It does work!

I don't watch gold and oil, but I'm sure what you're suggesting makes sense.

bollox...i had a 50% retrace down for 022...thought i was being clever placing it below this just in case it blew through 022 before rallying.

it stopped dead on 022, opened up another hourly candle that touched 020 before heading north.

all i had to do was put my order at my actual fib level....what a gonk.