• Welcome to the Darwinex Forums, these forums are member-run and managed by CavaliereVerde. Member-run forum rules may differ from the site guidelines.

[DARWIN] TTD by Captain Currency

I'd say there is an advantage, over the next 50 counter-trend day trade setups, I'd be fairly confident I'd make a net profit using a tight SL and that the net profit would be greater than using a looser SL and a TP of 25% to 50% of that SL
Loose SL also has one other advantage, win rate is mostly greater than 75%.

Loose SL also has one other advantage, win rate is mostly greater than 75%.
I don't know if I'd call it an advantage, it sure is a fact that a loose SL will have a better win rate than a tight SL when all other things are equal.

My win rate previously when I was using a 20 pip SL was about 50%, now that I've lower the SL to 10 pips the win rate has gone down to about 40%, no big deal as overall performance has gone up and drawdown has gone down (up I mean (y)).

Max. Positive / Negative excursion per trade.

line

What is your opinion and experience about Tight Stoploss
If you're a good enough trader and can win using them, go for it!

They suit my kind of trading, short term moves with positive RvR of about 2:1 is what I'm trading while managing risk. Of course tight stop-losses won't suit some traders / strategies.

Monday went a bit like this:

Trade 1
Usd.Jpy +38 pips / +1.29%

line

Trade 1 the way price was developing during the morning session I thought we might see some type of hold and reversal to upside on Usd.Jpy. By the afternoon the setup came along and the trade had a 10 pip SL with a 38 pip TP. Price kicked north post-entry making the move I was looking for and the TP was reached (y)

Trade 1

line

TTD is currently at +2.32% for the month.

Tuesday went a bit like this:

A directional type of day where I had a couple of trend following setups on my radar. None got triggered, price didn't pullback enough so no positions entered on the day.
line

TTD remains at +2.32% for the month.

Wednesday went a bit like this:

Trade 1
Usd.Jpy +17 pips / +0.55%
line

Trade 1 the morning sessions started off fast with Eur.Usd and Usd.Cad both moving in the same direction, something felt wrong. I was in no hurry to be wrong and waited until mid-afternoon before I found a setup that looked sincere. A pullback trade on Usd.Jpy with an initial SL of 10 and a TP of 17 (see chart below). The position started well and before long the SL was pushed up to BE, worst case scenario at this point was a scratched trade. After a while price pushed up and the profit was booked at +17 pips.

Trade 1

line

TTD is currently at +2.88% for the month.

Friday went a bit like this:

Trade 1
Eur.Usd +16 pips / +0.41%

line

Trade 1 a retracement / pullback type of setup, entry wasn't bad and this trade had a 10 pip SL and a TP at 16, not the greatest of RvR but it was positive. The SL was trailed on this position when we got moving (not shown in screenshot below), trade management was always working to reduce the potential loss on this trade. SL never really came under any pressure and the TP was reached soon enough.

Trade 1

This was the last trade for 2020, TTD will hopefully be back trading (and making new highs) from mid-January 2021.

Merry xmas to all forum members 🎄
line

TTD is currently at +3.05% for the month.

Dec Stats for Darwin TTD

Trades: 27
Win rate: 48.15%
Avg win: +17.35 pips / +0.69%
Avg loss: -8.28 pips / -0.34%
Pairs traded: E.U / U.C / U.J
Avg trade: 1h 28m
Return: +3.05%
Max DD: -0.89%

With the win rate just above 48% I'd like to think I was a bit more select with setups in Dec compared to previous months. Pullbacks worked well for us during this trending period and other less favourable setups (counter-trend) where mostly passed on (y)

Return / Risk

Risk versus reward has improved since the changes on Dec 5, 2020 opting for a 10 pip stop-loss over a 20 pip SL. From the graph below you'll spot the red lower section on bars are mostly less / smaller than the green upper sections on the 27 bars / trades from Dec.

Going forward into 2021 the plan will be to keep improving and only taking setups that suit the current phase (easier said than done). Risk v reward should hold at at least 1.5:1 and I'll still be focusing on those short-term moves.

Roll on 2021 and best of luck to you ☘️

Trade 1
Eur.Usd +17 pips / +0.54%

Trade 1, post NFP shenanigans and the entry (circled) wasn't too shabby on this pullback setup. The SL (10 pips) was trailed once we got motoring and the TP at +17 was soon attained. Happy enough to be out of the blocks with the first trade of 2021 for TTD 👊

Trade 1

TTD is currently at +0.54% for the month.

No trades taken, decided to err on the side of caution, didn't fancy getting involved in a bullfight 🐂

TTD is currently at +0.54% for the month.

Trade 1
Usd.Cad +17 pips / +0.53%

Trade 1 a tricky session to spot quality setups but this pullback caught my eye on Tuesday. With an initial SL of 10 pips which was later trailed-up as price moved in our favour and the TP was placed at +17 pips just under the high. Entry was fine (circled) and the trade worked out well in the end, TP was reached (y)

Trade 1

TTD is currently at +1.07% for the month.

Wednesday went a bit like this:

Trade 1
Eur.Usd -10 pips / -0.32%

Trade 2
Usd.Cad -10 pips / -0.35%

Some days the market won't let you in even if you knock twice. Two trades both mean-revision setups didn't work out as planned, glad to exit with small losses :coffee:

Max positive / negative excursion per trade

TTD is currently at +0.40% for the month.

Thursday went a bit like this:

Trade 1
Usd.Jpy -1 pip /-0.02%

Trade 2
Usd.Jpy -10 pips / -0.41%

Trade 1 a pullback trade that came within 2 pips of our TP before price tanked. Our SL had been trailed-up so the reversal did minimal damage. We've seen this type of price behaviour in previous month - a near miss of the take-profit level followed by a sell off. Even though it can be frustrating to be so close to a winner, the important thing is to protect the position.

Trade 2 a mean-revision trade that held the level post-entry but then just got squeezed out before it reverted back up. A sour market to trade over the past few sessions 🍋🍋🍋

TTD is currently at -0.04% for the month.

Trade 1
Eur.Usd -10 pips / -0.36%

Trading results can be a bit like the game of snakes and ladders, move one square forward or even land on a ladder and jump up the board. This week after moving one square forward I then landed on a snake 🐍 and slid further down.

Overall it was a week of 1 or 2 unlucky stop-outs, a near miss of a TP and just one winner (and a BE) out of the 6 trades taken. I did feel the market was moving a bit shadily but it did also present other setups that suited it's current phase. Roll on next week (y)

TTD is currently at -0.40% for the month.

Nowt to report, a quiet European session and an even quieter US session. No setups appeared on my charts on Monday, must be to do with it been MLK Day.

TTD remains at -0.40% for the month.

Trade 1
Usd.Jpy -10 pips / -0.42%

Trade 1 thought we might have seen some follow through on this momentum setup but we got diddly-squat from it. Seems like we are in a fruitless phase at the moment where trades are not producing. We've gone through a phase (a few weeks) like this before, the most recent been back in Nov 2020.

Drawdown should be a bit softer this time around with losses been just 10 pips rather than 20 pips like during the last losing phase. What I'd give for a 4:1 winner now 😜

TTD is currently at -0.82% for the month.