Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

the Dow has been above the 20ma on the 15m TF now for nearly an hour .....hence this is missing the bus a little

hey all................ive been tied up but a little trading in the background

heres the day so far ......I took a little G/U on that breakout earlier in day but switched to E/U quickly with some decent pips .......

then dow weakened and I was hoping for a little selling on either the Euro or GBP on 15m's but as you can see the YEN and USD have stayed south and weak so no trades .....

I wont trade in these conditions as I reallyneed the yen and USD to be playing a little Ball with the Dow .........if you were "Trading Naked***" with the FXcorrelator there were a few pips around

N

****simply trade the FXCorrelator ignoring the Dow ........if Yen and USD are either above or below the Zero (on say the 20/1 default) just trade them against currencies on the other side of the zero....
simple and brutal !

Attachments

• the day so far .jpg
    the day so far .jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 137
hey all.......

i'm tied up on other things and my screens tell me its a little flat at the moment so logging off

have a good evening.........
N

we are also now back into October Teritory for that Dow climb.......I cannot believe the optimism being shown regarding the fiscal cliff agreement that will be hammered out

(standard 20ma delta 1 Fxcorrelator on the daily below)

it wont be pretty ..........it wont be pretty

N

My words from wednesday .....and Ugly it has got overnight :eek:

anyone trading the Western nightshift had an easy ride as markets got scared .....could be a very interesting final day of action

buckle up
NVP :smart:

Attachments

• doomsday scenario.jpg
    doomsday scenario.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 139
I doubt the Dow futures will fall further at this moment ......so perhaps a little retracement in early London session....or perhaps european Equities will catch the cold as well ?

N

hey all.....sadly still tied up at work

will catchup here over next few days during the break and get to talk about the past and the future

enjoy the rest of the remaining trading for 2012 !!!

N

hi all

well the final twist and turns happened with a few pips on offer last night......

heres the charts ......left chart is the 4hr 20/3 (bias) indicator....look at that fightback from the YEN/USD team as the Dow weakened this week

on the right 15m TF........we saw scrappy action but a few pips on offer if you were fast on your feet ......and not as fussy about dow/USD/YEN correlation......

ok i'm around today tomorrow then with some family for a festive break.....please bring questions and comments here if you want .......even if its just popping in and saying hello !

it would be great to hear from some of the people who have made this such a fun thread to be in over the last year or so......

N

Attachments

• scrappy.jpg
    scrappy.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 156
heres a 5m chart but I set the ma to 500

look at those nice S/R lines in action on some of the currencies....

ive stopped talking here about using the higher ma settings on the FXcorrelator as its easier to show here my simple 20ma default setting and make observations that way

but dont think I am not using all of the FXcorrelators potential armoury to trade as I can assure you I am !.....

search for "500" in this big thread and go and see the posts made......theres a lot of them and it discusses how to trade price action signals on the FXcorrelator

N

Attachments

• 500ma settings and support resistance lines.jpg
    500ma settings and support resistance lines.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 170
Re: Guide to the FXcorrelator

As promised here is a simple guide to using the FXcorrelator with a few other ideas and rules

ask me questions here....I am not an expert in this field as the learning never ever ever stops :smart:

use the indicator attached here....and go here if yuo want a video on a similar system

http://fxcorrelator.com/corrie2/free-indicator-and-video/

N

Note - you see me talk a lot about the 80/20 system in the thread in earlier months...all that means is using 2 FXCorrelators on a Dow chart and using an 80ma setting on 1 and a 20ma setting on the other and waiting for confirmation when all signals line up.............

Dont think this is easy though ....I'm not giving that much away here as like all things the rules are pretty simple ...However successful trading is about using a basic system and then adding your own disciplne , flair and experience to make it really fly !

is 20ma the best setting ?...who knows !....who cares !

Thank you for free system.Nice indicator.

thanks to people who have sent me stuff to look at over xmas ......I will get around to them all !

N

Re: Guide to the FXcorrelator

Thank you for free system.Nice indicator.

no worries 15......

this is a very simple intro to Strengthmeter trading ......its the tip of the iceberg and a learning journey I continue to walk ;)

N

Sometime ago I looked at "Getting Started in Currency Trading. Winning in Today's Market" By M Archer. Useful to have the basics in one place but I just don't see how Archer can make the latter assertion.

Out of 370 pages, correlation does have a mention... a half-page! The remainder of the book is useful for "resources" but is a re-hash of the "tried and tested" indicators and oscillators.

My question is - if, as I have often seen, more than 70% of new traders fail abysmally, why bother to buy 'advice' in books such as this?

The art and method of Correlation is obviously only studied only by a minority(Pareto principle 20-80?) and I bet we are more successful than any disciple of a "Get started" book!

Many thanks to NVP and a Happy Feast of the Holy Nativity to you all.

thanks Hamish

Everyone has to find their own path in life and indeed any endeavour they chose to undertake

I have been involved in Gambling since the early 60's .....growing up with a father and grandfather who were Bookmakers and professional gamblers.....so I was lucky to see first hand the true power of probability and the folly of punters from an early age..and how the 2 rarely meet in the average punters favour.....!

with this still in mind some 50 years later..... I urge everyone considering the vocation of Trading to take serious time out to learn the basics of Trading and to read and research as widely as possible before dipping their toes in the water ......surely a common sense approach to everything you chose to follow seriously ?

dont rush it.....you have limitless time to study ...but only limited money ......and dont be duped by the zillions of helpful traders/marketeers out there offering instant success and riches from the latest indicator and system (theirs).......its not worth it, as even if the system was half useful it will be based on their own personal views and philosophies and learning path to that point....they are not you and you are not them...you have your own path to walk and you will all get there at the right time and the right place.....we are never sure when though !

since seeing Trading first hand in the 80's (working for Shell International Trading in london) my own modest research and observations in the last 30 years have finally lead me to trading Forex via Strengthmeters and also Market Correlation techniques..... why ?........because it makes sense to me warts and all......I am a big picture person and like to see everything going on to look for clues and opportunities .....and I cant do that unless i am watching the wider markets and in Forex I am watching a basket of currencies to see whos doing what .......just my own thoughts

so to everyone here as a 1 week newbie or a 50 year veteran.....never stop learning and I hope you find your holy grail in 2013

cheers all !
NVP (Neil)

heres 2012 on a 500ma daily setting........

the 500 gives you real granularity directionally unlike the 20ma which is more skewed to showing shorter term trending.......so try the 500 on any TF !

see where the tide turned in 2012 ?

Dow hit lows around early June - and that was where the Yen and USD were at their peak...all downhill for them after that ! :eek:

and just look at the Euro.....if you were buying that critter from early August you can really pat yourself on the back .......amazing ! (y)

ok lets see what 2013 brings .....
N

Attachments

• 500 ma for  2012.jpg
    500 ma for 2012.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 142
so... no surprises them on the winner of my Q4 strongest Currency competition ?

Drumroll......

The Euro ! :drunk::cheers::party:

N

umm.....my choice the Yen got absolutely stuffed.....:whistling

Attachments

• EURO WINS Q4.jpg
    EURO WINS Q4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 144
Hey all

Chilling with family......will start warming up the Thread again over next few days....

N

hey all

jees.......a few days with family and friends and the brain has seized up......(dont say a thing!)

still cant retreat to my study and hide.....jobs and errands to run next few days so sorry its gonna be quiet here ..still for a while yet.....

I recommend everyone take the downtime to chill and enjoy it......as life is normally to busy to allow it

have a great new year
N

hey all

jees.......a few days with family and friends and the brain has seized up......(dont say a thing!)

still cant retreat to my study and hide.....jobs and errands to run next few days so sorry its gonna be quiet here ..still for a while yet.....

I recommend everyone take the downtime to chill and enjoy it......as life is normally to busy to allow it

have a great new year
N

Yeah, happy holidays and green pips to all in 2013.

G.

Swissforex.....

From your blog - I see you are a follower of forex Factories Trader 101 and the legendary basket strategy ...........

nice system - but flawed...........looks like you have found the edge....(they ignored my humble advice a while back........)

how do you play stop losses ?.....or do you just closely monitor the positions ?

excellent

N

Ok let's make some house cleaning
I've some free time 'cos this is a no trading and no job period for me
I've read the last 5 pages of this thread

--about your good q,yes I trade manually and put some trailing stop when I can't baby sit my trade. Sadly I've a very demanding job..Money management depends from Basket Size and timeframe,roughly it's a 200 pips b\e with a 30-50% trailing profit setup.

--Very good observations about the DJ correlation with USD\JPY, well done(y)

--about my reputation here on T2W,rookie with only 22 posts,I love this Forum but I'm more active and well known on another popular ForexForum. And I prefer to trade rather than writing ,you know what I mean bro

--and again very interesting reading about trading lower TFs with your indi,I 've made some naked trades in the past when I was bored with my Basket trading,and I can testify that it is a good tool if properly managed

I still have to explore your Gold Variation,while I think I' ll pass the ball about Exotic pairs..