Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

mornin all.......:sleep:

after the sellathon on yen last week organised by a few members of the G8 (Fed noticably absent :whistling)

its back to business this week I hope...........

Nice start and easy peasy pips on buying AUD who delivers an Early touchdown

(sorry still no silly videos yet)

N

Attachments

• overnights.jpg
    overnights.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 110
a few recent pips on the g/u if youre not a fan of the amber necter brigade...

G/U still promising.....

look how flat the USD is on the middle chart........the CHF was notorious at doing that in the past.....we seem to have a new currency that walks the neutral zone

Attachments

• morning.jpg
    morning.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 129
look how FLAT the USD is now...heres last week or so on a 5 min chart (500ma)

hasnt left the neutral band in days now :whistling

if I see ANY other currency make some decent trend/moves its worth bouncing it off the USD as its the perfect flat wall....

N

Attachments

• usd path.jpg
    usd path.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 126
Heres boris from BKforex with some interesting observations on the big moves from last week

The currency markets went crazy this week but I managed to keep cool. The last time I saw USD/JPY fall by two big figures in a matter of seconds was during the "flash crash" in May of last year. At that time I was buying the pair all the way to the bitter end using that well known trading methodology of "hey its gotta rebound sometime!" Needless to say that adventure ended badly. The pair did indeed rebound - right after I was margined out.

The "flash crash", painful as it was, taught me some very valuable lessons.

1. When volatility spikes don't jump into the market right away. Like a soldier on the front line you'll be the first to slaughter by market forces if rush in too quickly. On Wednesday when all hell broke loose I waited for the price action to settle down for at least 15 minutes before entering any trades.

2. Price can and do go much further than you think is possible. Picking tops and bottoms in times of high volatility is like chasing tornadoes. The thrill is amazing, but there is a strong chance you'll be flying with the cows. If you are going to try to pick inflection points, then use hard stops without remorse. On Wednesday, USD/JPY dropped below 78.00 once it tripped the stops at 80.00, but if you tried to bottom fish you would have most likely been blown out nearly 200 points lower as it continued to fall to 76.25 before finally rebounding.

3. Trade small not big. This is perhaps the single most important lesson I took away from the "flash crash". In times of high volatility the instinct is to go for the jugular. The impulse it to trade big in order to capitalize on the situation when in fact the rule should be to trade small in order to minimize risk. The single greatest reason for my improved performance this month has been my inverse correlation to volatility. The greater the vol, the smaller I trade. During the downward spike in USD/JPY I was trading as small as 1/5th my regular size which was already reduced to only a 2:1 lever factor.

just been reading some market update e-mails I received over the weekend....

in amongst the stuff heres a cracker of a quote from Colin Twiggs newsletter that sums up how to trade smart ........one trade at a time dudes...one trade at a time :smart:

Wisdom consists not so much in knowing what to do in the ultimate
as knowing what to do next.

~ Herbert Hoover (1874 - 1964)

momentum has slowed north on the Dow futures 5mins.....so nothing signalling at the moment

GBP has been a good buy as you all can see from yuor charts in London session

N

yen has strengthened significantly in the last hour or so.......watch it , if dow tanks we will have some real action again

only GBP is showing similar strength and I can assure you that correlation will not last long

N

sell U/J is a viable option now....especially if Dow tanks ......

wait for it.......

conversely if Dow falls the yen will go ballistic.........I would then call more U/J sells or even a very contentiuous (and spread expensive) Aud/Yen sell

the aussie currencies are sleeping but they might get the mega pain like last week

N

its all about the yen now today (like last week)..........

to me theres plenty of upside before intervention of BoJ and its non Asian business hours ..........the yen is exposed to the big currencies and players with no defences except any G8 goodwill to suppress it.....

and Dow is warming up

ding ding ....round 1

N

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWR0k_R6XDE&feature=related

Last edited:
the swissie is worrying me at the moment ...I need some dow direction to simmer it down......its stealing euro's buy pips

N

if I were to panic and do something

I would sell Chf into tag team

but no no way do anything....step back !!!

jees

euro Yen USd gangfight in progress......and Dow pumping north

step away

at this moment I could

Sell dow and Buy GBPJPY which is a cross correlation play - very advanced and a rare opportunity

(yen and dow especially cannot exist for long in positive correlation mode)

lets see
N

dow 12023
GBPJPY 132.08