Can you be long and short at same time?

Does nobody accept that doing this increases costs (those that think its a good idea)?

LV you are such a petulant juvenile keep quoting the same blurb despite people acknowledging the fact.

I'm sure you understand all this but will insist. You are stubborn as an Afghan mountain goat.

Enough examples have been given along with some very well composed posts on how the option to go short and long can be used; with same/different/similar related instruments as well as time frames. Options, puts/calls/bonds etc etc.

YES I DO KNOW IT for the 1001 time there is an extra spread cost.

YES, thanks, I DO KNOW IT INCREASES COSTS!

Incase I forget please remind me tomorrow too :)

I am of the opinion that both of those members are of limited intelligence, and like you, do not understand the argument that has been presented to them...

Case in point.

LV you are such a petulant juvenile keep quoting the same blurb despite people acknowledging the fact.

I'm sure you understand all this but will insist. You are stubborn as an Afghan mountain goat.

Enough examples have been given along with some very well composed posts on how the option to go short and long can be used; with same/different/similar related instruments as well as time frames. Options, puts/calls/bonds etc etc.

I fully accept that this increases cost of doing business. However, that is not really the issue. One should view this increased cost in the same way that you might view "temporary insurance cost".

Anyone who tells us that they know what is happening in the markets at all times is simply deluded. Anyone who tells us that they know what is about to happen in the markets is also deluded. There are very narrow windows of opportunity that exist maybe a few times a day, visible to those who know whats what. For the majority of punters/ traders, they are surrounded by market fog and can't see beyond the end of their noses let alone navigate their way around.

Seriously, Jon cast aside you prejudices of Hakuna and read this post:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/dis...-you-long-short-same-time-37.html#post2145026

Its bang on the money :)
His way, its your choice to increase costs and trade frequency.
This pseudo hedging, you are locked into the decision of increasing
costs and frequency.

What happens if the market stalls in consolidation for an extended period.
You've wasted 1 RT that you probably wouldn't have taken after waiting
to see how price acted.

I think a lot of people are confusing same size / instrument with
market neutral hedging:
Market Neutral Definition | Investopedia
with proper market neutral you have a position based on performance
weighting.

With same size / instrument long/short you have no position,
and are also locked into those increased costs.

Edit - didn't notice this was CV posting.
I am surprised TBH...

Last edited:

Can't argue your stance so resort to the usual bullsh1t. (petulant juvenile ffs :rolleyes:)

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT ARBING YOU TIT

This discussion is about same size, same instrument...

Can't argue your stance so resort to the usual bullsh1t. (petulant juvenile ffs :rolleyes:)

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT ARBING YOU TIT

This discussion is about same size, same instrument...

Oh I'm sooo sorry have I upset you?

PS. Don't forget to remind me tomorrow.

Thanks ;)

On a slightly related note, do people actually believe nowadays that all opinions are equal on all things? That someone is entitled to their own opinion and it's equally valid? For example, if a child goes to school and decides to spell 'lose' as 'loose' or 'there' as 'dair', would you accept that and just say, difference of opinion, there's no right here? How do you recommend the teacher react to such a child? Perhaps patiently explaining that there is a right way to do some things, and then when the child becomes unruly and argumentative, making the case in stronger terms...

I'm getting old.

just so you know I have set my alarm for 6am tomorrow to send you a pm reminding you that 'IT INCREASES COSTS!'. I shall continue this process until I am sure you will not forget. :LOL:

On a slightly related note, do people actually believe nowadays that all opinions are equal on all things? That someone is entitled to their own opinion and it's equally valid? For example, if a child goes to school and decides to spell 'lose' as 'loose' or 'there' as 'dair', would you accept that and just say, difference of opinion, there's no right here? How do you recommend the teacher react to such a child? Perhaps patiently explaining that there is a right way to do some things, and then when the child becomes unruly and argumentative, making the case in stronger terms...

I'm getting old.

I wonder if any of the T2W mod or admin roles are subject to competency based interviews. Comments in this thread would suggest otherwise.

Don't worry LV - apparently the Bund, Bobl and Schatz are all effectively the same instrument.

I did say essentially they are the same with different time frames.

Previous posts I've always stated different time frames.

But you guys are perhaps ignorant of the different ways different traders can trade different instruments. Not poking fun just trying to expand the debate. Helloooooo anyone in there?

Italian and French bonds can be argued to be considerably different to German ones however.

Talk about expanding the mind. No let's forget about that.

Let's just discuss - but does it increase costs? Why would you want to increase costs?

Ask one more time see if we can conjur up yet another different explanation for you experts on keeping trading costs down. :whistling

just so you know I have set my alarm for 6am tomorrow to send you a pm reminding you that 'IT INCREASES COSTS!'. I shall continue this process until I am sure you will not forget. :LOL:

Oh what joy... I'll look forward to it thanks matey...

:clap::clap::clap:

I did say essentially they are the same with different time frames.

Previous posts I've always stated different time frames.

But you guys are perhaps ignorant of the different ways different traders can trade different instruments. Not poking fun just trying to expand the debate. Helloooooo anyone in there?

Italian and French bonds can be argued to be considerably different to German ones however.

Talk about expanding the mind. No let's forget about that.

Let's just discuss - but does it increase costs? Why would you want to increase costs?

Ask one more time see if we can conjur up yet another different explanation for you experts on keeping trading costs down. :whistling

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT SPREADS, FLYS, BOXES, VERTICLES, CONDORS, REVERSALS, ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

Those are trades made up of trading different instruments against one another. Jeez. A Bund isn't the same as a Bobl. OK?

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT SPREADS, FLYS, BOXES, VERTICLES, CONDORS, REVERSALS, ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

Those are trades made up of trading different instruments against one another. Jeez. A Bund isn't the same as a Bobl. OK?

I disagree and this is why:

Maybe by having both positions open I'm talking about an exit strategy (which one to close off) rather than an entry one that would be required if I was making a new trade?

I like this, will appropriate this for myself and will never give any credit to you for it's provenance.