Can you be long and short at same time?

HM,

You've quoted my entire post in which I covered a variety of issues - some of which are central to T2W Site Guidelines. On that basis, your accusation that my post is “wrong, wrong, wrong” is a meaningless non-sequitur.

Clutching at straws there, aren't you? The tenet of your post that being long and short simulaneously has merits is, in fact, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm sorry you don't understand why.

I don't expect to be treated with kid gloves, but I do expect to be treated with common courtesy and respect. If you don't feel you can do that, kindly refrain from posting. As you will see if you read through the thread, there are a number of long standing members and/or traders with considerable experience who are willing to entertain the idea of being long and short the same instrument at the same time. One in particular claims that it is central to his methodology and that he’s a profitable trader. You’re not one of them: I get that and that’s fine.

Don't be gay.

I had a mate who used to claim he was "experienced" with women. When pressed, he would prove it my pulling from his wallet a list of all the women he'd kissed.

An absolutely extraordinary comment. It’s akin to Hitler accusing Anne Frank of being anti-Semitic. I don’t know what you mean by ‘material’ but, if you’re referring to the posts I’ve made to this thread, all I have ever said is that I'm open minded to the idea of being long and short simultaneously and I'm experimenting with it on a demo account. That you and a few others find that so reprehensible coming from someone with my experience is very much your problem and not mine. Don't know how I can help you with that, sorry.

Which is absolute bullsh!t, as has been shown multiple times in this thread. And, as for your "experience", I refer you to my mate above. Just because you've been posting here for 10 years - maybe even trading that long - doesn't mean that what you are saying is correct. Your experience (lol), actually, has nothing to do with it.

Clutching at straws there, aren't you? The tenet of your post that being long and short simulaneously has merits is, in fact, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm sorry you don't understand why.
I'm not clutching at anything. Clearly, you quoted the wrong post – don’t blame me for that, lol!

I understand completely all the points that you - and everyone else have made against being long and short at the same time. Personally, I accept pretty well all of them, with one notable exception. I am willing to entertain the idea that there may be occasions when the pros outweigh the cons. I'm sure that Atilla, barjon and all the other members who believe the approach may be of merit also understand equally well the reasons for not doing it. The difference is that you wish to impose your belief that there can never be any circumstances, ever, under which it might be a valid approach. You have no right to do that, not least because there are members who have demonstrated throughout this thread that, on occasions - for them, it is indeed the right approach. If someone is able utilise this - or any other approach - in a way that they are happy with and produces a profit for them, then who are you to tell them that it's wrong and that they shouldn't do it?

Which is absolute bullsh!t, as has been shown multiple times in this thread. And, as for your "experience", I refer you to my mate above. Just because you've been posting here for 10 years - maybe even trading that long - doesn't mean that what you are saying is correct. Your experience (lol), actually, has nothing to do with it.

Well, the only bull**** on this thread that I'm aware of is the abuse and frankly appalling attitude that you and one or two others have displayed towards me and those of us who have the temerity to express a view that you don’t happen to agree with. If you can't discuss a topic in a civilised way without resorting to childish name calling - you have no place on this forum.

I had a PM from a member today who wanted to ask a question on this topic but hasn't for fear of the treatment s/he will receive from the likes of you. Here are his/her exact words: "Don't want to ask on the T2W forum [i.e. this thread], can only see myself being shot down in flames." This is clear evidence that it is you that is stifling debate via your bullying and aggressive behaviour. You are preventing members from discussing a topic they want to discuss. This is completely unacceptable behaviour IMO, and totally at odds with the ethos of the site and whole the raison d’être of the forum.
Tim.

Last edited:
I understand completely all the points that you - and everyone else have made against being long and short at the same time.

No, you do not, otherwise you wouldn't say things like...

...I am willing to entertain the idea that there may be occasions when the pros outweigh the cons.

Because there aren't any. Zip, nada, none. However much you want to believe otherwise, the mechanics of putting the trades on mean there are no possible advantages to doing it. It has been explained in this thread why that is the case. They have just gone over your head.

We're not talking about something subjective here, like whether TA is worthwhile or guff, we're talking about maths, and in maths, there is a right and a wrong. In this instance, I am right, and you are wrong.

I'm sure that Atilla, barjon and all the other members who believe the approach may be of merit also understand equally well the reasons for not doing it.

I am of the opinion that both of those members are of limited intelligence, and like you, do not understand the argument that has been presented to them.

The difference is that you wish to impose your belief that there can never be any circumstances, ever, under which it might be a valid approach.

Aside from the example Shakone gave (which is a slightly different kettle of fish, because the trade with one broker is not fungible with another broker), there are no circumstances under which this strategy will yield any upside or potential thereof. Like I said, it's just maths.

You have no right to do that, not least because there are members who have demonstrated throughout this thread that, on occasions - for them, it is indeed the right approach. If someone is able utilise this - or any other approach - in a way that they are happy with and produces a profit for them, then who are you to tell them not to do it?

On the contrary, I feel obliged to correct them, because they are deceiving themselves and do not fully understand the implications of their actions. I have not seen one argument for holding opposing positions with the same broker that holds any water. If you don't like it, that's tough. 2 + 2 will never equal 5, no matter how hard you try. It really is that simple.

Well, the only bull**** on this thread that I'm aware of is the abuse and frankly appalling attitude that you and one or two others have displayed towards me and those of us who have the temerity to express a view that you don’t happen to agree with. If you can't discuss a topic in a civilised way without resorting to childish name calling - you have no place on this forum.

What galls me is that you have two senior members of the forum (you and Barjon), supposedly tasked with shepherding it in the right direction, spouting utter drivel that is fundamentally at odds with a true assessment of the reality. It is baffling. Sit down with a pencil and paper (or better, excel), and work through teh transactions you are suggesting. There is ONLY DOWNSIDE. NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU WANT IT TO BE OTHERWISE, THERE IS ONLY DOWNSIDE.

I had a PM from a member today who wanted to ask a question on this topic but hasn't for fear of the treatment s/he will receive from the likes of you. Here are his/her exact words: "Don't want to ask on the T2W forum [i.e. this thread], can only see myself being shot down in flames." This is clear evidence that it is you that is stifling debate via your bullying and aggressive behaviour. You are preventing members from discussing a topic they want to discuss. This is completely unacceptable behaviour IMO, and totally at odds with the ethos of the site and whole the raison d’être of the forum.
Tim.

I mentioned earier on in the thread that if someone new to trading (or to the forum) expressed curiosity then - in all liklihood someone else - would gently guide them back onto the proper path. If someone who has been trading for a while still cannot grasp the concepts being discussed here, then more fool them. This is not rocket engineering.

........I am of the opinion that both of those members are of limited intelligence, and like you, do not understand the argument that has been presented to them......

I bow to your superior intellect, HK :), but I would have thought that superior intellect would at least lead you to examine what I have been saying before dismissing it as "utter drivel". As I said before your, quelle surprise post disproves what you have decided I said - unfortunately it also proves that you weren't really listening because it wasn't what I did say.

There's no point in continuing - you think I'm a tw@t, I think you're an offensive, foul mouthed bullyboy. And you have to ask why those with anything interesting to say get banned - Jeez :LOL:

NFA Changes Forex Hedging Rules - MoneyShow.com

^^ president and CEO of the NFA explaining why the practice was made illegal in the US

Just FYI: Despite what he says, protecting the customers was NOT one of the major reasons this and other changes were made. Money was bleeding away from member firms to non member spot forex firms and overseas firms. Members firms made so big of a stink over it that CFTC and NFA had to act in the best interest of their members.

Let's face it if they want to "protect the customer" then shutting down the markets would protect 95% of all traders, right? But that certainly won't happen.

Peter

I bow to your superior intellect, HK :), but I would have thought that superior intellect would at least lead you to examine what I have been saying before dismissing it as "utter drivel". As I said before your, quelle surprise post disproves what you have decided I said - unfortunately it also proves that you weren't really listening because it wasn't what I did say.

There's no point in continuing - you think I'm a tw@t, I think you're an offensive, foul mouthed bullyboy. And you have to ask why those with anything interesting to say get banned - Jeez :LOL:

What you were saying IS complete drivel!!

I'm a bit late into this thread but let me pose a scenario familiar to most of you.

You are long, your instrument has been showing good momentum and has arrived at a price that would give a satisfactory profit, Suddenly, momentum slows and it takes a backward step. Is this a temporary blip, or the forerunner of something more major? You read the runes, but remain unsure. You are sure, though, that you don't want to lose the profit you have. What to do?

1. Exit and move on.

2. Exit re-enter if long momentum picks up (relies on a decent re-entry strategy)

3. Protect your profit until the position becomes more clear. A short gives you such insurance at small cost.

If you adopt 3 you have the following tactics in mind.

a) If momentum picks up to the downside you will close the long and put a stop tight above the price for the short. Most times this will stop you out of the short (at extra cost to the overall depending on where you've put the stop), but occasionally it will keep running your way.

b) If momentum picks again up to the long side you will cover the short and put quite a tight stop below the price for the long. (You are still long biased with this instrument so might have a slightly wider stop although that will increase the overall "insurance" cost if it's hit.

I trade UK equities and although I don't hedge by going short the same instrument I'm only a few steps away by using a pro rata FTSE hedge quite often

jon

This is what you're talking about, yes? I'll take you through it step-by-step x

There's no point in continuing - you think I'm a tw@t, I think you're an offensive, foul mouthed bullyboy.
My thoughts exactly Jon and, I'd wager, the thoughts of most other subscribers to the thread, regardless of which side of the debate they're on.

Does nobody accept that doing this increases costs (those that think its a good idea)?

You go long, the trade has gone your way, but your conviction with the position has waned and you want to reduce your exposure. You can:

1) Sell it and go flat
2) Short it as a hedge

With 1), you have the OPTION to re-enter – either long or short – if another trade sets up. So you can if you want to, but you’re not under any obligation to make another trade.

Now, with option 2), you are left with two trades that you HAVE to make – cover your short and sell your long. By making one trade you effectively leg yourself into another one – for example, by covering your short you are net long again, a position you could just as easily put on having done option 1) first.

The difference is that you are OBLIGED to close both trades, and you have to do it before financing costs come in to play. You are putting yourself in the situation where you HAVE to decide when is a good time to leg out, rather than just having the OPTION to make another trade if you see fit.

The OPTION to make another trade is worth more than the OBLIGATION to make another trade. You can see that, right? Everyone can see that? If you can’t see another trade developing after closing the first one, you don’t have to make another pair of trades (and cross the spread again). By leaving yourself with two positions to close, you have your back to the wall with no indication of whether you are going to be able to get any “edge” from the market conditions that you have to sit through.

You are choosing to put yourself in the position where you have the OBLIGATION to trade instead of having the OPTION to trade. OK? You’re putting a gun to your own head. So your choice is:

(1 * OBLIGATION) + OPTION

or

(1 * OBLIGATION) + (1 * OBLIGATION) [before financing costs kick in or bear the costs]

So there is NO UPSIDE to putting the hedge on? See? NO UPSIDE!!

i honestly didn't think it would take this long for the penny to drop. maybe we can stretch this one out to the end of the week.

Does nobody accept that doing this increases costs (those that think its a good idea)?

I fully accept that this increases cost of doing business. However, that is not really the issue. One should view this increased cost in the same way that you might view "temporary insurance cost".

Anyone who tells us that they know what is happening in the markets at all times is simply deluded. Anyone who tells us that they know what is about to happen in the markets is also deluded. There are very narrow windows of opportunity that exist maybe a few times a day, visible to those who know whats what. For the majority of punters/ traders, they are surrounded by market fog and can't see beyond the end of their noses let alone navigate their way around.

I fully accept that this increases cost of doing business. However, that is not really the issue. One should view this increased cost in the same way that you might view "temporary insurance cost".

Anyone who tells us that they know what is happening in the markets at all times is simply deluded. Anyone who tells us that they know what is about to happen in the markets is also deluded. There are very narrow windows of opportunity that exist maybe a few times a day, visible to those who know whats what. For the majority of punters/ traders, they are surrounded by market fog and can't see beyond the end of their noses let alone navigate their way around.

honestly CV. I expected better of you. Your 'insurance' argument doesn't wash. You get something in return for paying insurance in this case you get nothing.:smart:

honestly CV. I expected better of you. Your 'insurance' argument doesn't wash. You get something in return for paying insurance in this case you get nothing.:smart:

First rule of trading...protect trading pot.

I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous post No 231

First rule of trading...protect trading pot.

I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous post No 231

The psychological part is fine, as long as you realise that

1) It's of no benefit besides your own psychology issues, and
2) You're increasing costs, so it's about as good as going with a broker with higher spread just because the customer service makes you feel better about your trades.

The problems arise when people start suggesting it gives some advantage that being flat doesn't, or that in some cases it can be better.