Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Thank you very much, Bob and BLS.

I have a question about Bob's Chart.
What is GMT setting the chart ? I use Japanese time chart, so I'd like to know that.

Bob's charts are +1. which makes me wonder where he lives, because since it's not the UK, it's strange that he has such a great writing style.

Thank you Giorrgi.

GMT +1 is UK, and also a part of European is +1, maybe. Anyway, I can compare it with Japan time and I can check the Bob's Chart more carefully. Thank you.:clover:

Thank you Giorrgi.

GMT +1 is UK, and also a part of European is +1, maybe. Anyway, I can compare it with Japan time and I can check the Bob's Chart more carefully. Thank you.:clover:

Before daylight savings/summer time Bob's charts are in GMT+1. Right now his charts are in GMT+2. Just add one hour to the London time.

Thank you BLS. Japan time is always GMT+9, so Bob's summer chart and Japanese chart is just for 7 hours different.

I'm adjusting my chart now, also tick number what is wrong with it, because it's different from my chart.

Anyway, it's difficult for me so far.:oops:

One trade. Price action was rather choppy today.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 185
Didn't take any trades today.

There was one hindsight DD that broke out nicely (first chart). I think I've observed something new (for me)... which is that the break was probably so successful because the bars in the pullback were almost all putting in higher and higher bottoms which means that the first time the bottom of a preceding bar was broken in the EMA this generated a strong signal, whereas if there was some previous overlap the break of a bar to the downside wouldn't have big "big news" or a clear signal. This isn't the only element which is to be taken into account of course but something to remind oneself about (I know it's somewhere Bob's charts but he didn't insist upon it very much).

Attachments

• 1 - Monday.png
    1 - Monday.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2 - Monday.png
    2 - Monday.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 156
Hello traders,

I'm new to this forum and I was referred here by the author after reading the book. I see that most of you use prorealtime charts, how does the price feed from these charts differ from your broker? does it make a difference? Sorry I'm just trying to find out how you guys do it when placing trades when you can't trade off these charts! Do you use two monitors?

Regards,
Ed

Hello traders,

I'm new to this forum and I was referred here by the author after reading the book. I see that most of you use prorealtime charts, how does the price feed from these charts differ from your broker? does it make a difference? Sorry I'm just trying to find out how you guys do it when placing trades when you can't trade off these charts! Do you use two monitors?

Regards,
Ed

Close is close enough but do take the time to compare the two when deciding on which broker to use. I use two monitors to trade though I could probably do it with just one. I use something called OneClicker that allows me to trade with preset stop loss/target profit with only...one click. It's designed to work with MetaTrader4 but there are other solutions to get that "always on top" effect for your ticket window:
5 Simple Ways To Keep Selected Windows On Top [Windows]

Didn't trade today but I did see one setup that looks good in hindsight. I pretty much gave up on the charts because price was stalling above the 50 level so I didn't see it break. I'm not sure I would've taken it since the best stop seems to by ~7 pip and I don't want to risk that much trying to trade into the 50 lvl without a strong trend.

Attachments

• USD Spot.png
    USD Spot.png
    29 KB · Views: 150
This trading just now, I could be made myself understood at last. I feel relived.:p

Attachments

• bob.jpg
    bob.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 177
  • bob3.jpg
    bob3.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Looks like another "agonizing" week. Haven't seen any worthy setups today.

garageboyFUJI : your IRB is on the thin side which is why I didn't really consider it. The DD seems valid (in hindsight there was a nice 2-3 bar spike just before the DD pullback) but continuation trades are risky nowadays. I'm glad that these trades worked out though ! Just don't expect prices to deliver like this all the time.

Last edited:
Looks like another "agonizing" week. Haven't seen any worthy setups today.

garageboyFUJI : your IRB is on the thin side which is why I didn't really consider it. The DD seems valid (in hindsight there was a nice 2-3 bar spike just before the DD pullback) but continuation trades are risky nowadays. I'm glad that these trades worked out though ! Just don't expect prices to deliver like this all the time.

Seems like it but I guess it's a good exercise on staying focused.

Fuji's IRB looks interesting. Price retraced 50% of that earlier down move but I probably would've skipped it as well given the thin bars.

Attachments

• USD Spot3-1.png
    USD Spot3-1.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 181
  • USD Spot2-1.png
    USD Spot2-1.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I was watching the setup on you first chart too, no buildup tho.

Took one trade today (an hour ago)

Attachments

• 3 - Thursday.png
    3 - Thursday.png
    23 KB · Views: 162
What is the reason we should use a third party charting service versus your broker's charting service?
Is it because the broker might tamper with the price feed? Or merely because to get rid of pipettes?

What is the reason we should use a third party charting service versus your broker's charting service?
Is it because the broker might tamper with the price feed? Or merely because to get rid of pipettes?

Volman recommends a standalone package because he doesn't want a scalper to be distracted by his profits and losses. By using a standalone package a scalper can hide his broker platform window,thus hiding his current P/L and account balance. Getting rid of the pipettes is another reason.

Seems like it but I guess it's a good exercise on staying focused.

Fuji's IRB looks interesting. Price retraced 50% of that earlier down move but I probably would've skipped it as well given the thin bars.

One thing that I'm not totally clear from reading the book is how do we define a squeeze, my idea is just a small or a few small candles right against the 20ema and S/R lines, am I correct on this?

I made a mistake on this trading. I don't know why I did it, just my finger act. IRB is not good, it's too early I think. ARB also too early, I think. I felt bad a little when I had taken these positions. What do you think about this trading ?

onemore, this trading FB is better than before I think, but I wonder if it's too aggressive.

Attachments

• bob4.jpg
    bob4.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 178
  • bob5.jpg
    bob5.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I happened to be on hold on the telephone when this BB came along, so I skipped it. But it's a good example of what might constitue a valid reason for scratching a trade prior to your tipping point. My take-away lesson is that you must focus and keep an open mind at all times rather than just fixating on your predetermined tipping point. In this case if you were to visualize the first three candles that printed after the entry bar you would see a very adverse doji that screams FASLE BREAK and you would be presented with an opportunity to bail out at or near breakeven. My problem is that I am trying to be very disciplined about my tipping points and this creates a conflict for me. ...... Any Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5-16-13_Skipped.jpg
    5-16-13_Skipped.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 168