Big Ben on the FTSE100

Good one for me pb - as per posting at the weekend, I am now taking all trades. it was a close run thing however: I am running two BB trades per day through two accounts, but using the same rules, so the only difference is the SB firms' tick chart prices. The larger account trade hit target and closed, while the small one just missed and price reversed until I closed this one manually at 1.

Well done pb - another good day, and a good chart this morning for those trading BB breakouts with a trailing stop.

Not trading today - made good profit already this week/month and price dropping through 0800-0900 low even as I tried to enter short entry order, plus BB H-L range is wide - I find such situations normally precede a retracement back into the BB range and a failed trade.

Chart results 3-2 this week, though I ended up 3-1 as I ducked yesterday's trade, leaving me up 6-2 for April (minus 1 expired negative). Nice start to a month after a below par Q1.

Over last 4 weeks, charts show 9-7 up (using BB range as target and stop rather than +/-13pts would have given same result). Over all records, covering 35 weeks, win rate is 63-35 (64%) with a positive performance of 28 trades, that's roughly 4 losers and 7 winners per month.

Pressing onwards towards retirement!

Charts show a break-even week, 2-2 (no trading Good Friday). Likewise break-even over the last 4 weeks, 8-8, though personally I am well ahead so far for April's actual trading gain.

FTSE100 looking the weakest out of the Euro zone majors over the past week. Keep it in mind that it may be a bullish sign if there is early weakness in the intra day session.

Thanks Michael, you could be right.

It would be interesting to see if you /other traders can successfully adapt Big Ben according to wider market TA / situations - it currently ignores such data and analysis and has a rather modest win rate.

I'm stopped out this morning and not trading tomorrow so an early weekly sunmmary - this week, only 3 trading days, but the system scored 2-1. Over the last 4 weeks, it has shown a potential profit, at 9-7, but I do hope it can soon resume the longer-term performance which is a little better than that and shows a win rate of 64%.

Meantime, the system continues to show low risk, with only 7 losing weeks out of 37, 3 of which were losers by just 1 trade. I have ramped up my account again and this month have bumped up my risk per trade to 5%.

I'm stopped out this morning and not trading tomorrow so an early weekly sunmmary - this week, only 3 trading days, but the system scored 2-1. Over the last 4 weeks, it has shown a potential profit, at 9-7, but I do hope it can soon resume the longer-term performance which is a little better than that and shows a win rate of 64%.

Meantime, the system continues to show low risk, with only 7 losing weeks out of 37, 3 of which were losers by just 1 trade. I have ramped up my account again and this month have bumped up my risk per trade to 5%.

I have been following this thread for a while now, thank you for your effort . I understand that you can't trade a more active system (like Pocrel's pin bar system, which requires that one check charts every 30 minutes during the day) due to work commitments since you want a set and forget system in the morning. Have you considerd the Forexmorning trade system. I have followed that journal for a while now, it looks to be pretty much set and forget early in the morning and has a higher win rate for 2011 than the Big Ben system you are using on the FTSE (although I understand they have had a less than spectacular April). (Inflation adjusted) Penny for your thoughts.

Thanks.

mcclaine

Thanks mcclaine, I had seen something about Forexmorning I am sure, but must have forgotten to pursue it. i will have a proper look.

Hi mcclaine - FMT looks like a variant of the Big Ben system, applied to the GBP/USD, where it acquired its name. I can't see the exact parameters because the system is being marketed so no doubt Marc wishes to keep his variations to himself. It's disappointing that he's selling this at all, as the basic system is so simple (see the magazine article by Kristian Kerr) and does imply that he's not making a living by simply trading the very system that he is selling: however, there is mention also of support emails and a live forum etc. so maybe those features make a purchase worthwhile.

I'm always happy to hear of more people using BB or a variant - as I am regularly asked, 'If the system is that good and that simple, why isn't everyone using it?'.

Cheers.

Hi mcclaine - FMT looks like a variant of the Big Ben system, applied to the GBP/USD, where it acquired its name. I can't see the exact parameters because the system is being marketed so no doubt Marc wishes to keep his variations to himself. It's disappointing that he's selling this at all, as the basic system is so simple (see the magazine article by Kristian Kerr) and does imply that he's not making a living by simply trading the very system that he is selling: however, there is mention also of support emails and a live forum etc. so maybe those features make a purchase worthwhile.

I'm always happy to hear of more people using BB or a variant - as I am regularly asked, 'If the system is that good and that simple, why isn't everyone using it?'.

Cheers.

Hi tomorton, as you know I have been following this thread and trading Big Ben from time to time. I tried FMT a while ago and am still using it. It does have it's bad times, but overall seems more profitable than BB.

Without giving too much away, FMT is not a simple breakout system like BB. Instead it uses a couple of indicators to determine likely direction of the market at a set time of day. What I like about it is the time is much earlier than BB on FTSE, and also you can run an EA on Metatrader to put the trade on for you, so you don't even have to watch the market if you don't want to.

It has been my intention to write an EA for our flavour of BB, and indeed several similar ones already exist, but I just haven't had time. If I ever get round to it I'll let you know.