Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

Nail biting stuff. Will he pull through?

He must meet many bodies during his day. Bet they all have squeaky cheeks.

Wonder how the cat is doing.

Cycled into Town and back. Queue outside Lidl. Controlling numbers inside. Didn't bother waiting. Too much work to do.

It also dawned on me that pigeons and seagulls must be really suffering with the latest human behaviour. Animals surely wondering WTF is going on with these humanoids??? I read body language and could immediately tell what Mr seagull thinking as it looked at me (where's your/my sandwich dude).

Last edited:
All the Yanks care about is money. Funeral parlours must be raking it in.

Will seeing pasta back on the shelves be a leading indicator that people have stopped panicking, believe that the worst is behind us?

Will seeing pasta back on the shelves be a leading indicator that people have stopped panicking, believe that the worst is behind us?

Don't you mean when we see toilet paper on shelves then we'll know the worst is behind us?

Don't judge the intelligence of others by your standard...

Don't you mean when we see toilet paper on shelves then we'll know the worst is behind us?

Don't judge the intelligence of others by your standard...
Good point!

We aren't all pastavores but what goes in might vary, it all comes out more or less in the way :p

I'm not going to bother looking at the shops over the w/e and am planning a foray for next Tuesday. I shall do a thorough bog-roll survey.

Clouds. Silver linings.

EDIT: makes you wonder though. When motivated enough, we can attempt to tackle homelessness in a matter of weeks, when previously dithering for decades.

Last edited:

Sun tan lotion will be the indicator as the 'Easter Holidays' get going, I hope they are ordering extra stocks :D

Apparently the first person who died in Melbourne because of the Coronavirus was because the 1000 cans of food, 50 kilos of pasta, 80 kilos of rice, 300 toilet rolls and 50L of hand sanitiser which he had panic purchased from the supermarket and stock piled "just in case" collapsed and buried him.

One of my partner's friend is a nurse. She has tested positive. She has pneumonia and is not breathing properly.

I saw the video today.
She sounds scared because today they have sent her home and told her to come back when she can't breath. She was told there is no treatment. She has been told to isolate. She has 4 kids.

Interesting, but not too many surprises.

I did like the quote from Katherine Hooha (a Canadian and a climate scientist - two strikes before we start) concerning the state of "Climate Denialism" - I kid you not, it's now up there with the Holocaust. I'm just getting used to the infernal combustion engine, so I'm a smidget behind the curve.

Anyway, she apparently wrote on Twitter*(her paraphrase of Schweitzer?) thus:

“The six stages of climate denial are: It’s not real. It’s not us. It’s not that bad. It’s too expensive to fix. Aha, here’s a great solution (that actually does nothing). And — oh no! Now it’s too late. You really should have warned us earlier.”

*strike three :)

One of my partner's friend is a nurse. She has tested positive. She has pneumonia and is not breathing properly.

I saw the video today.
She sounds scared because today they have sent her home and told her to come back when she can't breath. She was told there is no treatment. She has been told to isolate. She has 4 kids.

That is probably one of the most terrifying thing you can be said. Terrifying. :(

I saw the video today.
I have (had) six friends/acquaintances in Lombardy.

1 died last week, another has got it and the rest think they might. Their health system has been disorganised and fragmented since forever, rather like the nation itself - but these days, many ordinary Italians are beginning to think that unity and solidarity are desirable qualities...

...and everyone has got really serious about quarantine and distancing etc.

My family and friends in France are so far OK but the UK has so far got off lightly as far as the distribution and supply chain problems. The French have never been good at distribution (compared to Anglo-Saxons and the odd Teuton) and many supermarkets in the countryside are still basically empty. On the bright side, fresh produce is available in abundance and somebody said to me a couple of days ago that it was just like going back to the 1970s..

As an interesting side-note: there is now a TGV "medicalisé" kitted out to transport cv patients (sorry CV!) between regional hubs - France being much larger and the population being more distributed than the UK, distances between said hubs are correspondingly greater. e.g Paris-Toulouse/Marseille/Bordeaux all being circa 400 miles and Bordeaux -Marseille being about the same.

* Don't know the English for this - "medicalised" doesn't sound right

I saw the video today.

I read somewhere that HIV drugs boosting immune system helps.