ART - not just pretty pics

There there Tim et al. time healeth all things.
Since this forum is basically about money I see where you are coming from as there are some speculators in the new whizzo art fads even if it is a pile of bricks or elephant t*rds.
:mad: it shone from above forsooth like a beacon. :)

Name that Super Star?

I like it :)

981927_RONALDO_STATUE_1_5b7a2e2e0a7a09b82208b0c4b9c3bcbc.jpg

It was in the news this week...I won't give the game away.

Hi Jon,
Well, if all that you, Pat and others want is a thread that's devoid of any meaningful discussion about art, one that dismisses most modern art as rubbish, with the odd dusting of vaguely amusing images - that is of course fine. This is the Foyer after all. But, please accept that it's got sweet FA to do with art and, whilst there are many ways of describing the thread, "a celebration of the sublime" sure as hell ain't one of them! That's just my opinion of course and, in the spirit of the thread, I don't propose to support it with any kind of rationale or explanation. (See, I am learning!) Not that any is needed, as it ought to be pretty obvious to all and sundry.

On that note - I'll leave y'all to it - happy dissing folks!
Tim.

Please reconsider, Tim.
This thread needs real quality imput and some of us do appreciate the time and effort you put in.
Amusing photos have their place - and I am guilty of reposting Atilla's favourite "installation" :eek: - but your enlightening commentary would have enhanced thoughts and attitudes amongst some readers.
I was thinking of posting some of Renoir's quotes on painting, but if there isn't any seriousness, then what's the point?
FWIW, I'm out of here too.

:eek: ok, ok I stand corrected.

It's not for me to stifle debate particularly when it's intended to lift the quality of appreciation and understanding.

Come back, come back wherever you are.

Pat is this one of your attempts at a fresco? :cheesy:

ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wmain.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...esco-says-i-didnt-do-it-secretly-8076528.html

Timsk,

Honestly a serious question and would love you to come back and provide your take on this piece.

I read that more people are now visiting this place and church to see the fresco than ever before.

Fresco has gone from obscurity to site attraction popularity.

Yay :)

I think the original, although in poor condition has more going for it.
Quite often the ancient artists were a bit cheeky and put self portraits into the place of the unknown features of the saint/JC.

Hi Atilla,
. . .Honestly a serious question and would love you to come back and provide your take on this piece.
timsk isn't available for comment, but his alter ego - a teenage ballerina - is. She says: "restoration of frescos is best undertaken by qualified professionals with appropriate experience". She goes on to say: "even then, care must be taken not to over restore the work, thus ensuring what is left of the original (fresco in this case) remains prominent and that the intent of the artist and the character of the work is not lost".

I read that more people are now visiting this place and church to see the fresco than ever before.
I can believe that. Good for the church perhaps if they can monetize the visits, but it doesn't lend any credibility either to the restorer or the resulting restoration. It merely tells you something about the human condition, namely that people love it when others screw up so they can gloat and take the pi$$.
Tim (and his alter ego).

Hi Atilla,

timsk isn't available for comment, but his alter ego - a teenage ballerina - is. She says: "restoration of frescos is best undertaken by qualified professionals with appropriate experience". She goes on to say: "even then, care must be taken not to over restore the work, thus ensuring what is left of the original (fresco in this case) remains prominent and that the intent of the artist and the character of the work is not lost".

I see your point. I was thinking along the lines of how I would approach it. Technically, finding appropriate paint for surface, mixing the correct colour and application. Do test run on another piece of wall behind a pew first too. Can't imagine just picking up the paint brush and hey presto start practicing the strokes.

Is it something you could apply your self to. I know I'd love to have a go so I wouldn't blame the little old lady who had good intentions. Innocence is sweet. :)

I can believe that. Good for the church perhaps if they can monetize the visits, but it doesn't lend any credibility either to the restorer or the resulting restoration. It merely tells you something about the human condition, namely that people love it when others screw up so they can gloat and take the pi$$.
Tim (and his alter ego).

I think people are going to see it so they can be part of something that connects us all. Much like taking a picture in front of Eiffel Tower. Been there, here's my T-shirt sort of thing.

I think people are going to see it so they can be part of something that connects us all. Much like taking a picture in front of Eiffel Tower. Been there, here's my T-shirt sort of thing.

Interesting point that.

I suppose the same logic could be applied to art works. The more people can identify with it, the higher the value in general.
However, some people will buy any old crap, because of association. Doesn't mean a particular piece is any good, just that it has the right name attached to it somehow!

Get yer head around this gorgeous work and be enlightened.

Attachments

• Renoir.jpg
    Renoir.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 824
I like this picture.

It's a happy picture.

Can it be classed as ART?

Attachments

• Haha_its_all_mine.JPG
    Haha_its_all_mine.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 143
A great picture of sky and water.