Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Hi Daddy John

Text book would say plan the trade place limits and stops and leave well alone.

However i like you have been scalping too long and always take profits too early, usually after a tick back only to see it continue along its merry way.

One way ive found useful is to close half or three quarters of the trade, you dont worry about a small position then.

Incidentally why stop scalping if its making money? maybe your hard wired as a scalper ;-)

Exactly, scale out and you have to almost forget about that final 25% OF YOUR TRADE.
One alternative is to set a daily/weekly target and use profits for swing trades as an extra bonus. Easier said than done though. I personally have a monthly target only as variance is too wayward on daily targets.

so now we sell everything including the kitchen sink

FTSE needs to print 586/606 and DOW needs to print a new low tomorrow

two songs

Down Down deeper on down - quo

just keep sellin just keep sellin - finding nemo

I would have thought it was easier to manipulate FTSE? More stocks yes but liquidity is much much higher on DOW and ES.

Dow is price weighted on its constituent shares. A 1% move in IBM moves Dow by 14 pts, whereas a 1% move in Microsoft moves Dow by 2 points, despite similar market cap. If I wanted to move Dow, in addition to the futures, I would be looking at IBM, Chevron, Caterpillar and McDonalds.

we now need a low before friday fireworks FTSE will keep 5642 in play as a weekly target

DC, if we are entering a SS month 9th Dec... Under the Taylor rules done we need to put in a higher high than we got in the Sell month?

DJ

Who am I to offer advice :whistling, but here goes.

If you've planned your campaign on H1 (say) then don't peek below that whilst price is outside your entry/exit zones (and en-route danger zones, maybe). Sort of pretend your H1 is your old M1 scalping chart :)

Also, do you have a re-entry strategy in your armoury?

jon

Thanks BJ... By H1 and M1 I assume you mean hourly vs minute?

I would have thought it was easier to manipulate FTSE? More stocks yes but liquidity is much much higher on DOW and ES.

The INDU is considered by many to be a flawed index. This is because other averages are weighted by market capitalization, which is the number of shares outstanding multiplied by the current stock price. Because the INDU is unweighted, a one-point rise in the stock price of the largest stock in the index counts the the same amount as the smallest company.

So unless a Dow move is confirmed by the market cap indices it is always best
to have a pinch of salt at the ready

just adding to my concern is that FTSE futures yesterday made both a new high AND a new low

this is often a telling event about the trend weakness

If today we now see an inside day then it would be wise to have very close stops

but if you are a scalper, you will know that already
:)

just adding to my concern is that FTSE futures yesterday made both a new high AND a new low

this is often a telling event about the trend weakness

If today we now see an inside day then it would be wise to have very close stops

but if you are a scalper, you will know that already
:)

I think today will be a inside day. It looked hopeful yesterday until the closing rally.
A surprise from the ECB should do this, expectations of 25 basis point drop, but anything more should send us up.

many thanks to all for your advice in the last 24 hrs.. moving to a different mindset is difficult especially when you have developed such ingrained habits..

I am determined t0 make the transition though..:sneaky:

many thanks to all for your advice in the last 24 hrs.. moving to a different mindset is difficult especially when you have developed such ingrained habits..

I am determined t0 make the transition though..:sneaky:

when trading longer periods , a smattering of the Elliott wave theory wont do any harm