Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

That'll make a great headline for the US masses tomorrow. ;)

"Blah Blah ... after a roller coster day the Dow closes above 15,000 ... Blah Blah ... Bernanke has saved us Blah Blah ... buy houses, buy stocks, (but don't buy gold its cursed) ... Blah Blah..."

Cue Dow 20k stories again.

I hope they really know whats going on. :rolleyes:

This markets got great box office appeal. It certainly had me glued to the screen today.
I think they just wanted to print a reversal bar on the daily. I wonder whether they can do the same for the weekly chart tomorrow. Its setting up for a very interesting NFP day.

Curiously - Gold is going up again.
Why would investors buy a safe haven asset when stock are doing so well?

ADS57 - Thank you for your sensible answer to my not so sensible question - I appreciate that. (y)

However I thought the Dollar index had a positive correlation with stock prices so if it was weak today then one would expect the s&p and Dow to fall... :eek:
------------------
What is the correlation between American stock prices and the value of the U.S. dollar?

If we compare the US Dollar Index (USDX), an index that tracks the value of the U.S. dollar against six other major currencies, and the value of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), Nasdaq and S&P 500 over a 20-year period, the correlation coefficient calculated for the USDX versus the DJIA, Nasdaq and S&P 500, is 0.35, 0.39 and 0.38, respectively. Note that all of the coefficients are positive, which means that as the value of the U.S. dollar increases, so do the stock indexes.
------------------
I'm just ranting about the strange behavior of american indices and the USD denominated gold price, as being a left brain thinker I try to look for a logical reason for things. A bad idea with these markets, unless you have ALL the information. And I think I'm missing more than a few bits of knowledge. :)

A very real question that someone might be able to help with...

Our good old Mr T is saying consensus for NFP Friday is 171k
https://mr-topstep.com/index.php/multimedia/video/latest/closing-print-06-06-2013

Yet my source is showing 167K
Forex Calendar @ Forex Factory

An actual number between those two values will mean different traders taking opposite positions.
Now Mr T's Danny Riley is actually "On the floor" so I'm giving him more credence, but who decides what the consensus is - as obviously with 2 different numbers there isn't a consensus.:confused:

Having listened to Danny again his maths (and facts) are a bit off.
He says there were 36 down days ON THE S&P of which there were 22 - 1 day declines and 7 - 2 day declines, and no 3 day declines- firstly where are the other 7 missing ones?

I'm sad I did a bit of checking (after all its my money on the line) and there were 40 declines 31 - 1 day 8 - 2 day and yes there was a 3 day 15, 18 and 19 march. I couldn't find the unchanged, I think he's rounding.

So, any old fool can post words on the internet and pass them off as facts, (and I should know ;)). Who'd have thought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having listened to Danny again his maths (and facts) are a bit off.
He says there were 36 down days ON THE S&P of which there were 22 - 1 day declines and 7 - 2 day declines, and no 3 day declines- firstly where are the other 7 missing ones?

I'm sad I did a bit of checking (after all its my money on the line) and there were 40 declines 31 - 1 day 8 - 2 day and yes there was a 3 day 15, 18 and 19 march. I couldn't find the unchanged, I think he's rounding.

So, any old fool can post words on the internet and pass them off as facts, (and I should know ;)). Who'd have thought it.

Mate even after several beers 22 + (7 × 2) = 36. Also if he is on the floor he might be talking pit sessions not globex, hence numbers different. Whatever it doesnt matter as top step just want rookie dollar talk a good game but obv not profitable. Those stats are pony, just noise bs.

Morning guys back from sunny Spain for a bit of NFP action . A good number will see a pop in stocks which will get faded as tapering comes
Into people's minds a bad number will
Sell the market off but that's QE for longer so inversely it
Could turn around personally i think you sell into any strength that's the trend at the moment don't see a reason to change it .

spx h2 data
we still have not hit the sweet spot
we have tested a previous breakout point....not the trend as yet
trend gets tested at the green line...currently in 1590 region
288sg1s.gif

good morning talbs and dentist.

dow almost hit the magic 5% correction level, sp500 cash bounced from april highs

above 1621.1 sp500 june is bullish, imho

mornin' all

that pair woefully underwater now - ftse opened well over another -30 weak having ignored completely the dow rise.

Yes as did dax thought we would be higher shows the overall weakness in the market I expect a test
Of 1630 today in spoos before selling continues Down
Near yesterday's lows

Morning All

Last NFP breakout
DOW 14,840
DAX 7,980

DOW tested that area yesterday, DAX not yet tested.
FTSE, ASX, Japan and Hong Kong well below last NFP breakout.
Say no more.
Welcome back Talbs