Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Unbundled vs. bundled pricing

I am trying to work out if there is a downside to going across to the unbundled pricing. I daytrade SMI, FTSE, Dax, YM and ER2 futures (all positions closed by the end of the day). It appears that I would halve my costs for trading the SMI (Soffex) by going across to unbundled and the others appear to have a considerable saving. Am I missing something here - why are there the two pricing structures?

Last edited:
Good morning Bunyip,

I'm pretty sure unbundled is cheaper for most products unless you hold positions for a long time, in which case the carrying fee can mount up.

Comparison chart here in case you missed it:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/futuresPricing2.php?ib_entity=uk

-----

Good morning IB,

Judging by the fee page linked below, it seems possible for a private futures trader who is a member of CBOT (or any exchange) to benefit from reduced exchange and regulatory fees.

e.g Tier II Members

I would like to become a member of CBOT to take advantage of this but I gather from another website that IB will not sign the clearing form required (for membership) by the exchange because it exposes you to unecessary risk and was just wondering if this is true / still the case? If so can you suggest any alternatives that would result in a granted membership and subsequent reduced fees through you, e.g. trading ES on the CME? I imagine I simply have to change to another clearer, but I wanted to check your current policy first.

Many thanks.

Transmit stoploss and target with initial order

I've recently opened an account with IB and after reviewing their TWS intruction manual, I find I still need a little clarification. I am posting here in hopes that it might help someone else new to IB. If I have missed something in the manual, please be so kind as to point me to the correct section. In order to clearly state my questions, I have included my assumptions, if you know these to be in error, I'd like to know.

#1) It appears that there is no way within TWS to transmit a stoploss and target order at the same time the initial order is tranmitted. This is very important to me, because although I have high speed (DSL) connection, I have seen it go down on occasion, and I never want to have a position open unless a stop loss is also parked at the broker's servers. Is it true that in order to accomplish this, I need to use something like bracket trader or button trader, etc..? These programs are available for a small fee, and it seems if they are needed to accomplish my objective, it is much more efficient to purchase one, rather than programming my own buttons using the API. IB's website warns that these programs are offered by 3rd parties - not by IB - so they can't guarantee they work, yet I assume they wouldn't list them on their website if they were getting complaints.

#2)I don't see anything in the TWS manual about 'closing' an open position, which is how I do things now with a handy built in button on my current platform. So I assume that if I am long, and want to close this position, I simply need to sell an equal amount of that instrument?

#3) How do I specify which open position is closed by selling? For instance, if I have two positions open at the same time, same instrument,
first position Long 100 units at 4.00,
second position long 100 units opened at 5.00,
and current price at 7.00.
If I sell 100 units, can I specify which position to close, and how do I accomplish this? (Sometimes I might want to close the first position, other times the second, so I want something more than a default setting. Some method of specifying without going through a lot of menu screens. On my current platform, I just right click on the open position and choose 'close this'.)

#4) If my assumption #2 is correct, it means I can not trade an instrument long and short term at the same time in the same account. For instance, if I am trading two different systems or portfolios and I enter long at 2.00 and plan to leave that position open for an extended period of time in one portfolio. At some later point I want to leave that long in place, while I do a brief trade (during a retracement ) short from 3.75 to be closed at 3.25 (same instrument with another portfolio or system). Does this require two separate accounts with IB?

Thanks,
JO

Clarification

Re: #1) I know that TWS has an ' attach bracket orders' option, once you have created an order, and before you transmit, but this is not what I am looking for. I am after a 'one click' setup. I want the bracketed orders ready to transmit with one button, and they need to move together in unison as the price moves.
JO

JumpOff said:
I've recently opened an account with IB and after reviewing their TWS intruction manual, I find I still need a little clarification. I am posting here in hopes that it might help someone else new to IB. If I have missed something in the manual, please be so kind as to point me to the correct section. In order to clearly state my questions, I have included my assumptions, if you know these to be in error, I'd like to know.

#1) It appears that there is no way within TWS to transmit a stoploss and target order at the same time the initial order is tranmitted. This is very important to me, because although I have high speed (DSL) connection, I have seen it go down on occasion, and I never want to have a position open unless a stop loss is also parked at the broker's servers. Is it true that in order to accomplish this, I need to use something like bracket trader or button trader, etc..? These programs are available for a small fee, and it seems if they are needed to accomplish my objective, it is much more efficient to purchase one, rather than programming my own buttons using the API. IB's website warns that these programs are offered by 3rd parties - not by IB - so they can't guarantee they work, yet I assume they wouldn't list them on their website if they were getting complaints.

#2)I don't see anything in the TWS manual about 'closing' an open position, which is how I do things now with a handy built in button on my current platform. So I assume that if I am long, and want to close this position, I simply need to sell an equal amount of that instrument?

#3) How do I specify which open position is closed by selling? For instance, if I have two positions open at the same time, same instrument,
first position Long 100 units at 4.00,
second position long 100 units opened at 5.00,
and current price at 7.00.
If I sell 100 units, can I specify which position to close, and how do I accomplish this? (Sometimes I might want to close the first position, other times the second, so I want something more than a default setting. Some method of specifying without going through a lot of menu screens. On my current platform, I just right click on the open position and choose 'close this'.)

#4) If my assumption #2 is correct, it means I can not trade an instrument long and short term at the same time in the same account. For instance, if I am trading two different systems or portfolios and I enter long at 2.00 and plan to leave that position open for an extended period of time in one portfolio. At some later point I want to leave that long in place, while I do a brief trade (during a retracement ) short from 3.75 to be closed at 3.25 (same instrument with another portfolio or system). Does this require two separate accounts with IB?

Thanks,
JO

Dear JO:

1. Interactive Brokers supports over 30 FREE order types. One of the order types is an ATTACH STOP ORDER. For example, after prompting your order to BUY/SELL under the column description in the same row as your order click the intersecting field with your left hand mouse one time. A pop up window appears. Scoll down to attach stop order. Dynamically from the cascading menu you can choose to attach a STOP MKT or STOP LIMIT order to your principle BUY/SELL order.

2. In trading the First In and First Out (FIFO) principle is used. Because trades P&L will net out at the end. So all you need to do is sell the equal amount of the instrument you want to close.
FYI: We also offer a rebalance your portfolio feature that I am unsure it completely meets your needs but may be of interest, please click the following link for more particulars
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/php/webhelp/Monitoring_Trades_and_Accounts/rebalance.htm

3. It sounds as if you want two segregated accounts or more. We do offer a Friends and Family account that allows you to have two or greater sub accounts where you can carry a long position in the same instrument and a short position in the same instrument in another segregated account. NOTE: This means that these accounts will be entirely seperate from one another i.e., margin, P&L and etc. For Corporate, Limited Liability Corporation, Unincorporated Business, or Partnership accounts we do support a multiple account type. That is, you can open an institutional account with Interactive Brokers if you qualify and have Sub accounts for individual traders each with its own margin limits.

Last edited:
I think you can do this via several add on products such as Bracket Trader, Ninja Trader etc.

Have a look at the IB forums especially the API one for more details.

HTH

If not PM me an I could perhaps write an App for you.

JonnyT

JumpOff said:

FYI, there is a close position oder type. On the drop down menu under order, there is a "close position" menu. This creates an opposite-side order for a selected asset in which you hold a position. Note, You must manually transmit the order. For further details, please look at the on line TWS manual http://www.interactivebrokers.com/php/webhelp/webhelp.htm Under the "close position" page, you'll also fine info on bracket orders and items such as

Close Portion of Positions
Enter a percentage of open positions you want to close. Creates and transmits an opposite side limit order at the market price for this percentage of open positions. If no market data is available, creates an opposite side market order, and you must transmit it manually.

Close Positions on Page
Creates and transmits an opposite side limit order at the market price for each open position on the active trading page. If no market data is available, creates an opposite side market order, and you must transmit it manually.

These order types may not be exactly what you require but they may interest you.

JO,

Have you got yourself a dummy account yet? You can explore all the possibilities, try them out in the real market, configure TWS as you would wish to have it, and trade on it with no financial risk till you get used to the platform. I did it and it helped me to understand the platform very quickly. Then again, maybe you've got it already. :)

Very good suggestion Jimmy1Jag....That is, IB offers a Paper Trading Account which allows traders to use the full range of IB trading facilities in a simulated environment using real market conditions. Use this test environment to:

Learn TWS features such as order types without risk; Learn market dynamics in new exchanges and products; Simulate and test trading strategies.Test Application Program Interface (API) applications.

Creating a Paper Trading Account

You create a Paper Trading Account login from the Account Management menu for your production account. This service is accessed under the menu Trading Access. Accounts are created within 24 hours under normal business circumstances. You will notified by email when the account is ready for trading. NOTE: Paper Trading is only available for Individual and Institution sub accounts. Paper Trading Accounts are only available when the regular trading account has been approved and funded.

Accessing Your Paper Trading Account

Paper Trading Accounts have a separate password and username. To use the account, log into TWS using the user ID and password for your Paper Trading Account in the same way you would log into your regular account. Please save and protect the PaperTrader user ID and password in the same way you would protect other confidential password information.

How It Works

Use TWS with your Paper Trading Account exactly as you would use a regular Trader Workstation (TWS) or Application Program Interface (API). You can use all IB order types, trade all contracts available through the TWS, and experiment with every aspect of the TWS platform. Your trading window will clearly indicate that you are working in a simulated account. If you do not see this, you are trading in your production account and will be liable for all trade entered. Trades entered into this Paper Trading Account will not actually execute on any exchange or settle at a clearing house. However, the price of your executions will be determined by real market prices and sizes.Trading permissions, market data subscriptions, base currency, and other account configurations are the same as specified for your regular account. A Paper Trading Account statement will be provided each day and is available under Account Management/Report Management for your Paper Trading Account. All customers will start with USD 100,000 of paper trading Equity with Loan Value, and this equity will fluctuate as if the trades had executed in the real market.

You may reset your cash equity at any time by accessing Account Management for your Paper Trading Account and selecting Trading Access/Paper Trading Account Reset. Your account will be reset to USD 100,000 and all positions and non-USD currencies will be set to zero. Please note that reset requests should be entered before 16:00 ET in order to take effect for the next business day.

Last edited:
paper trading

Hi Jimmy Jag,
Yes, -creating a paper trading account was one of the first things I did. I'm still fiddling with settings etc.. All those sparkly buttons and menu options - ooh la! I feel a bit like a new teenage driver, turned loose on the highway in the driver's seat of an a 18 wheel trailer-tractor rig. The IB platform has many more features than I need, and I'm just trying to figure out which ones I can ignore, and if I will need to bolt any 'add-on' programs to TWS to trade in the way I am used to with my previous platform. I've downloaded that bracket-trader program and see that it has a simulator mode also - even if you are connected to your real account.

Yes, I'll definitely be paper trading for a while....
Thanks,
JO

Well Jump Off you are now trading for real???
About time
I tried IB (playtime)
My god / took position in CAD /went to close/ could not/phoned/ dummy account??/ you cant do that/ i have/ you cant take FX posi in dummy/ { HAVE)/ mom/ you must have US ac/errr/ I am in UK/ mom/ Have logged into US platform ,no problems here/So why can i do what I have??// You should not have been able, your ISP is at fault/ WHAT?/ YOUR ISP IS AT FAULT
Bt Broadband / shame on you/IB cant interact /
YOU ARE HAVING A LARK

Last edited:
OH
and in passing (a personnal opinion)
IF
You guys at IB must continue in your bland impassionate and patronising manner on the phone
GO HOME

Last edited:
Does IB set any additional charges beyond the fixed scale bundled & unbundled comms, when using a 3rd party such as Button Trader ( discounting the BT fee of course)

Whats an FCM?

IB are a direct access broker with a free API who I personally would recommend.

JonnyT

What is an FCM? A merchant involved in the solicitation or acceptance of commodity orders for future delivery of commodities related to the futures contract market. Futures commission merchant is able to handle futures contract orders as well as extend credit to customers wishing to enter into such positions. These include many of the brokerages that investors in the futures markets deal with.