Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Like I said previously this simply isn't true.

I have used TWS consistantly over three years and only had problems with one release of TWS, which was fixed within 2 days. (PS and that was API related!!!)

JonnyT

I guess I take the negative views expressed in the Elite Trader forums more seriously. There are a number of them there that talk about losing plenty of money due to the TWS platform. I don't think that they could all be incompetant, or whether it is fair to call them so. Just possibly what they may be saying is true.

About id'ing ourselves, someone talked about being locked out of trading by IB exactly because he was complaining about their platform, because he identified who he was to IB on a forum. May sound weird, but I can't help that. Besudes this, I still wonder what makes him more knowledgeable than the 3 others I dealt with..

Kindly know that I am not a complainer by nature. I, like all you good folk, have better things to do with my time. But I was treated poorly by the folks at IB about this issue, so there can be a reaction to this.. I approached humbly and innocently, asking for any advice as to what I could do about this, and was told, literally and simply "NO", that it had to be my fault, etc. Just like that, in different ways from the 3 reps. I asked what I could do then, and they said they could and would not suggest anything. Naturally that would make anyone think that there indeed is some kind of problem on their end. And when I researched about them on the net, I was definitely worried by what I read. Just to give you all the background here.

However, the silver lining in all of this is that I have been given some excellent suggestions by my fellow traders here, and will try to employ them and see what happens. In the meantime I will also see what happens with Webtrader.

Thanks very much again for your advice, and serene trading to you all...

rossored said:
Trader1111:

Interactive Brokers have now offered several times to address this issue for you, yet so far it seems that you don't want to be helped.

You may either write to the individuals in IB's post to have your problem addressed, or post it here on the boards - but please don't constantly complain about something and then not supply the information required to help solve the issue - where is the point in that?

If you have a genuine issue with TWS or IB, I am sure that IB will be glad to help, but please, no more aggressive, unfounded posts.

Thanks.

Trader 111:

PIFFLE. It is obvious you have another agenda other then to get your problem resolved. You should give more credit to the members of this forum to see through your intentions or your possible affiliation to a competitor.

trader1111 said:
I guess I take the negative views expressed in the Elite Trader forums more seriously. There are a number of them there that talk about losing plenty of money due to the TWS platform. I don't think that they could all be incompetant, or whether it is fair to call them so. Just possibly what they may be saying is true.

About id'ing ourselves, someone talked about being locked out of trading by IB exactly because he was complaining about their platform, because he identified who he was to IB on a forum. May sound weird, but I can't help that. Besudes this, I still wonder what makes him more knowledgeable than the 3 others I dealt with..

Kindly know that I am not a complainer by nature. I, like all you good folk, have better things to do with my time. But I was treated poorly by the folks at IB about this issue, so there can be a reaction to this.. I approached humbly and innocently, asking for any advice as to what I could do about this, and was told, literally and simply "NO", that it had to be my fault, etc. Just like that, in different ways from the 3 reps. I asked what I could do then, and they said they could and would not suggest anything. Naturally that would make anyone think that there indeed is some kind of problem on their end. And when I researched about them on the net, I was definitely worried by what I read. Just to give you all the background here.

However, the silver lining in all of this is that I have been given some excellent suggestions by my fellow traders here, and will try to employ them and see what happens. In the meantime I will also see what happens with Webtrader.

Thanks very much again for your advice, and serene trading to you all...

Last edited:
Wow. See what I mean, folks?

I explained *exactly* how much I tried to get this problem solved through IB, again and again. Using three different IB chat persons. They ALL said that there was nothing to investigate since they showed no record, and that is precisely the problem -- that there is no record on the IB side. And their attitude was very similar to yours, and I wasn't even upset at that time. Just trying to get some help. That was my ONLY agenda.

Why would I want to work with you, when they said there was nothing at all to investigate, and especially when you twist my words to try to put a better spin on yourself? That's pretty amazing and is a symptom of what I am talking about, and a hint of the attitude I received from the other reps. Everyone is free to do their own investigations on the net about IB... I was happy to consider my last post my final one about this, but I had to respond to this.

I have much faith in my fellow traders and will follow through on their suggestions. I do not view them as simply a future prospect or client, as you do. They are people and so am I, and we expect to be treated as such.

Interactive Brokers said:
Trader 111:

PIFFLE. It is obvious you have another agenda other then to get your problem resolved. You should give more credit to the members of this forum to see through your intentions or your possible affiliation to a competitor.

What about the audit logs on your PC. I'm assuming you have turned them on in TWS?

This will show whether your PC sent the trades and what responses you got back from IBs servers if any.

JonnyT

Is English not your native language?

Dear Trader1111,

I regret to inform you that your actions leave me with the impression that you do not understand English, or perhaps you have the folks from IB on 'ignore' ? They have offered to help you and have told you their procedure - you send them an email describing the problem as best you can, they ask for more information, you reply etc....

This is a standard procedure in any company that has to deal with technical issues. The importance of a written history can not be underestimated. It saves going over the same material over and over again, and helps managers route your problem to the person who is best able to solve it.

I've thought about closing this thread, rather than let you spew on, but have decided that IB's restrained response and continued offer to help you in the face of your insults tells everyone what they need to know about IB and about you.

JO

The first thing to do when you find yourself in a deep hole is to quit digging!

Last edited:
Moderators ... Trader1111 seems to be "other broker 1111"

He keeps making bull references to elite trader (I read the threads and know hes talking bull) and he never gets the offers to help him take some responsibility and solve his problem. How about banning him for a week or two and then seeing if he comes back as a real board user?

Not everyone who has a lousy experience with IB is a competing broker, for Gods sakes. Neither am I. I could post the many complaints from Elite trader here, but thought it would be better for anyone interested to check themselves. Or they can send a private message and I will be happy to supply links. It is certainly not bull.

Perhaps if you would have received the terrible attitude I received -- again talked about endlessly on the Elite forum (just go to brokers, then IB) -- you would understand my reluctance to deal with yet another 4th IB rep over this. Others have either agreed with me on this forum or have given useful comments which I plan to follow.

Kiwi said:
Moderators ... Trader1111 seems to be "other broker 1111"

He keeps making bull references to elite trader (I read the threads and know hes talking bull) and he never gets the offers to help him take some responsibility and solve his problem. How about banning him for a week or two and then seeing if he comes back as a real board user?

FWIW ... The recent issues that a few users have had with IB at elite almost all relate to option assignments and liquidations. IB's risk management processes result in a very prompt assignment process where, apparently, some other brokers are much slower/more relaxed. Some have become upset about this (as was bulldog here I recall ... although he claimed never to have been an ib customer at certain times).

Here's alanm's rational suggestion to the one or two who just don't or won't get it. I liked it and hope that alan is not offended by my borrowing it.

"As I understand it, assignments occur overnight, and do appear in your account (in TWS's position window) prior to the open, and you do, in fact have a few minutes until they start liquidating.

If you're talking about intraday margin handling, I contend that you either need to leave yourself a reasonable amount of headroom, or watch your positions closely enough to know when you're going to need to pull the trigger. If you don't want to do either of those things, there are plenty of brokers out there with slower risk management systems. Why not just use them?

I've changed brokers a number of times in my short trading career. It never occurred to me to be angry for months at a broker that had policies I didn't like, or didn't trade products I wanted to trade. I either adapted to them or simply found another that worked better for me. Yes, I know it's some work, but it's a hell of a lot better than the stress of being angry at something you can't change and, in the end, more profitable."

trader1111 said:
Wow. See what I mean, folks?

I explained *exactly* how much I tried to get this problem solved through IB, again and again. Using three different IB chat persons. They ALL said that there was nothing to investigate since they showed no record, and that is precisely the problem -- that there is no record on the IB side. And their attitude was very similar to yours, and I wasn't even upset at that time. Just trying to get some help. That was my ONLY agenda.

Why would I want to work with you, when they said there was nothing at all to investigate, and especially when you twist my words to try to put a better spin on yourself? That's pretty amazing and is a symptom of what I am talking about, and a hint of the attitude I received from the other reps. Everyone is free to do their own investigations on the net about IB... I was happy to consider my last post my final one about this, but I had to respond to this.

I have much faith in my fellow traders and will follow through on their suggestions. I do not view them as simply a future prospect or client, as you do. They are people and so am I, and we expect to be treated as such.

Trader:
If IB has no audit trail then there really is nothing you can do, except grin and bear it. That said ; it is very troubling if you hit "T" and then got "C" that IB doesn't have the audit trail. Perhaps you should ask why (no audit trail) and how this might be possible on their system. I think that is an important thing for all users of IB's TWS to know. I would call IB's tech-support or emai them looking for this explanation.

I think your posts are important as traders do get frustrated when interfacing with trading systems and they are at a disadvantage against brokers in general (i.e. the broker can monitor your every move but you can't monitor theirs).

I disagree with those trying to censor you.

urep

Thank you, Urep, for your mature words and your clear understanding of the whole picture.

urep said:
Trader:
If IB has no audit trail then there really is nothing you can do, except grin and bear it. That said ; it is very troubling if you hit "T" and then got "C" that IB doesn't have the audit trail. Perhaps you should ask why (no audit trail) and how this might be possible on their system. I think that is an important thing for all users of IB's TWS to know. I would call IB's tech-support or emai them looking for this explanation.

I think your posts are important as traders do get frustrated when interfacing with trading systems and they are at a disadvantage against brokers in general (i.e. the broker can monitor your every move but you can't monitor theirs).

urep

urep said:
Trader:

urep

Hi Urep. Audit logs are created on ones own pc by TWS at the time of placing orders. These could be checked against the IB trail.

By the way I note that you have made 12 posts since you joined us in August last year, and that every one was critical of IB. Do you have any other agenda on these boards? Just curious.......
pete

So what's the end result? Apart from all the personal jibing,where's the log? Post the log. I'd like to know whether the order was entered or not.........or maybe somebody discovered they don't know how to use the platform.

I have deleted the last few posts which have degenerated into something of a slanging match.

Several people have reported trader1111's posts asking for deletion, but we are letting them stand in order that people can see the whole story and to counter any suspicion that criticism of IB is not allowed.

However, the fact remains that trader1111 has been critical of TWS without being prepared to provide the evidence to IB, despite repeated requests to do so, in order that they may investigate the matter and help him resolve it. Unless such evidence is provided it is counter-productive to continue debating his specific allegation and further posts relating to it will be deleted.

good trading

jon

Urep:

RESPECTFULLY, you stand corrected, as we do have an audit trail. We have suggested serveral times for Trader111 to contact us by e-mail with his/her particulars so we can review all of the events and try to assist him/her. Unfortunately Trader111 does not want to help us, help him/her. Thus all we can do is offer our help.

urep said:
Trader:

urep

Last edited:
Urep:

RESPECTFULLY, you stand corrected, as we do have an audit trail.

OK you're saying you have an audit trail of Traders111 attempt to make this exact trade he is questioning??

Urep

Urep:

We have audit trails of facts, events and etc. All we need are the particulars (e.g., date, time of action and account id) and we can investigate what happened, when and by whom. But we need the particulars which ironically Trader 1111 does not want to provide us.

We wish you success in your trading!

IB

Last edited:
Urep:

We have audit trails of facts, events and etc. All we need are the particulars (e.g., date, time of action and account id) and we can investigate what happened, when and by whom. But we need the particulars which ironically Trader 1111 does not want to provide us.

We wish you success in your trading!

IB

Yes I use IB's TWS so I know IB has audit trails. When I stated "If IB doesn't have an audit trail" I was responding to Traders post where he said IB told him there was no audit trail of the specific trade he attempted. So my statement was made only in context to his specific trade not about IB as a whole. Sorry if that was not clear.

Urep

urep said:
Yes I use IB's TWS so I know IB has audit trails. When I stated "If IB doesn't have an audit trail" I was responding to Traders post where he said IB told him there was no audit trail of the specific trade he attempted. So my statement was made only in context to his specific trade not about IB as a whole. Sorry if that was not clear.

Urep

URep:

Thank you for clarification.

IB

MY BEEF WITH IB,

Ok I know a lot of you guys think we must be making up the stories, (it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't exist) so please bear with me while I explain ...........today my TWS changed colour ( Magenta) and the screen froze, the time was 18:33, the L2 & charting continued, as did Via, so I decided to close my TWS down as I wanted to reboot, ok now it gets really Interesting I had another TWS running on the same pc (A/c 2), but that had NOT the problem I'm now experiencing, so I closed all down and rebooted the PC AGAIN, all back working fine but I now can't log on, with either account, I push on after another reboot, I get to log on with A/c 2 but no luck with mine, so I decided to contact the online IB help , told I had 4 minutes to wait, well 14 minutes later still no reply, I cancelled and log on , this time successful...hooray, the time now is 19:09 ( 30 mins+later) I'd just love to know whats happening, there are a lot of clever intelligent souls who read these posts, can anyone offer a sense-able solution, I'd personally welcome it,
I will contact IB on Monday, and finally yes I did have 2 positions open at the time!