Why good traders drop out?

Mohican

hi,

We always thought that there are many good traders out there ,indeed there are but many have too dropped out due to failures.. Care to share other reasons why good traders simply MIA and refused to trade anymore? :?:

Many of them aren't as good as they thought they were or claimed to be. Be cautious about judging whether somebody's good or not by what they post on message boards.

If you are doing that well you'd have the money to do other things than spend all your spare time on BB's. And if they've given up, they couldn't have been that good after all!

Certainly traders who work for companies rather than themselves sometimes just don't want the stress anymore or have made a good amount of money and want a more sedate life.
In my experience all the really good ones that work for themselves would not want to do anything else.

i'll take the other side of that as well Racer :)

depends entirely on timeframes etc.

intraday is indeed ludicrously stressful, but on longer timescales eg daily/weekly, you can do your analysis overnight at your own pace and act accordingly..

less stress, less tiring, and more time down the Nag's Head.

I rarely daytrade, market analysis is tiring whether you do it for long term or short term, data overload!
I used to have lots of datafeeds but have gone back to more simple forms now.
Too much information can affect your judgement sometimes

I only know there is stress when all the skin starts falling off my fingers, otherwise I am likely to be doing OK.

She... she....she...

the T2W grapevine suggests a difference of opinion on certain matters, hence her tactical withdrawal.

either that or she set a multiple nickname and is still amongst us..... :)

She went back through the looking glass. Tempted by the Wily Old Wizard

Very cryptic Tony and I wonder how many will understand what you meant by this ?

Paul

Wizard...i wish it could be Christmas everyday...so she's hit the big time eh!

Mohican said:
hi,

We always thought that there are many good traders out there ,indeed there are but many have too dropped out due to failures.. Care to share other reasons why good traders simply MIA and refused to trade anymore? :?:

most people will tell you " they can't be that good anyway " blab blab blab , but this is certainly not the case.

good traders burn out due to tedium , boredom , need to move up in size but unable to find the right backers / environment .

this is a rare phenomenon experienced only by those who have won big relative to their risk caps.

Trading does become 'boring'. Sometimes its hard not to risk more than you should, just to give a different perspective?

TheBramble said:
She went back through the looking glass. Tempted by the Wily Old Wizard.

I don't think the Wily Old Wizard tempted her. She always was on the dark side of the looking glass. Funny thing is, I was thinking about her the other day too. She made many useful contributions on these boards - it's a shame she doesn't post here any more.