Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

A s trader who spends much time using and employing EW I m adament of the need for consistant trend degree notation. All other notation subserve the EW analysis.

Julian, I don't use EW myself, but appreciate the offerings of those who do; and we get quite a few interesting interpretations on these boards.....

Can you post a sample of what you are currently trading to.....?

And what happened at the half past precisely, Bramble ?

At 16.30 the Dow fall came to an abrupt halt at 10473 and then as expected began to defy gravity and went up to 10502, up 29 points.

This is so that you can see it is not worth it to be cheeky and make fun about things you know nothing about.

Incidentally, 10473 is the recorded lowest low of the day so far.

Kind Regards As Usual.

Oil Price Inflation

macbonzo said:
I only trade on a daily basis, but I think what happened yesterday was, the market perceived, that the Fed comments on inflation could have been worse. They still said that they could raise interest rates by 0.5% at any meeting and it would still be "measured". It just happened that the Dow was sitting on year lows and it rallied strongly on the statement.

I agree with you Greenspan is between a rock and a hard place, but with markets, sentiment can change on a near daily basis. We are now looking at a Goldilocks scenario. If Non Farms come in at say 250K+ then market more than likely will sell off because of fears of wage inflation. However, if they come in at 175K, then the market perceives that employers are not recruiting, thus have little confidence in getting future orders.

My own concerns are more oil related. With NYMEX crude, at $52 (having retreated from $58), to what extent will this be inflationary? I will be looking very closely at Q1 results, to see if there is any impact. Already WMT has disappointed as has F and GM. Another problem is the trade deficit. Last month it was $61bn, and it seems to be growing. Finally, one can never rule out some sort of exogenous "shock". Most people think in terms of terrorism, but what would happen if an earthquake flattened Tokyo? Or we got another LTCM?

Regarding Greenspan, he represents continuity. The market likes that. He says very little, but is pretty good at outlining his strategy well in advance. Most of the time his comments are nothing other than "constructive obsfucation". This, after all, is the man who, when proposing to his current wife ( a former NBC business reporter), had to do so twice, because she did not understand him the first time.

It would appear that US Advance Retail Sales have been negatively impacted by the high oil price. They were supposed to come in at +0.8% (+0.5% ex autos) but were only +0.3% (+0.1% ex autos). My feeling is increasingly that Q1 results will be mediocre.

Clearly as far as retailers are concerned (and we saw WMT''s figures) it will not be a good quarter. I certainly think we have seen the highs for this market until post August.

TheBramble said:
It was an unmissable opportunity for levity Bertie, knowing your fondness for Jack...nothing more.

As for coded messages - if all you've got is t2w for your coded semaphores - I'll be less amazed than I thought I was going to be...

...And if they're 'in the know' - why do they need to be alerted anyway??? Life! It's full of puzzles....

And before you dive too deeply into the condecension, you'll recall (I hope) that the sideways drift was exactly my position when I posted late last night...

If you're a good lad, I'll let you know how I do it.
The man's a genius. And like all the geniuses he has to suffer all the dunces conspiring against him, because they prevent themselves from understanding what he is on about.
You know very well that I have said publicly many times he ought not to be so generous in letting cats out of bags in the way he persists in doing.

T2W is very useful not because ot the semaphores but because the date stamp does not lie. This is very important because it proves that what was posted was yet to unfold.

I am a good lad, but thank you all the same, I have my methods and do not wander away from them for any reason.

I am off for a while, we may natter later.

Kind Regards As Usual.

TheBramble said:
It was an unmissable opportunity for levity Bertie, knowing your fondness for Jack...nothing more.

As for coded messages - if all you've got is t2w for your coded semaphores - I'll be less amazed than I thought I was going to be...

...And if they're 'in the know' - why do they need to be alerted anyway??? Life! It's full of puzzles....

And before you dive too deeply into the condecension, you'll recall (I hope) that the sideways drift was exactly my position when I posted late last night...

If you're a good lad, I'll let you know how I do it.

I'm a good lad, honest! - tell me.
:confused:

I hope you are aware that anything over 128bit encryption will not please our American cousins.
Just checking, as I haven't yet figured it out despite the enigma machine.

If this is confirmed as a Bull Flag by a break to the upside the flag target is to test immediate resistance at 10560…..

The target of flag and ‘pole’ (well defined thanks to yesterdays 170 point burst of bullishness…!.....) the target is c.10650 imho…

Later - break to the upside attempted and failed - so it had to be a downside break didn't it.....!......pattern negated.... :confused:

Attachments

• 13-04-05.gif
    13-04-05.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Bertie, I was going to let this pass with a wry smile, but you do talk tosh sometimes, so...

SOCRATES said:
And what happened at the half past precisely, Bramble ?

At 16.30 the Dow fall came to an abrupt halt at 10473 and then as expected began to defy gravity and went up to 10502, up 29 points.
It wasn't precise at all. The 5 min chart had been closing +/-10pts of 10480 since about 10:45 (all times EST). The lowest bar was at 11:25. The 11:30 bar closed within the close range set by the previous half hour's trading - nothing specific or precise at all.

SOCRATES said:
This is so that you can see it is not worth it to be cheeky and make fun about things you know nothing about.
Well, as QEDs go my friend - that one wasn't. Not only haven't you proven anything, there never was any indication you had set out to do so. :LOL:

Any fool could say 'the wibbly wobbly will gyre and gimble' and come back later and say 'see, I told you the Dow would close at 10,967' - but it's not going to impress too many people is it?

TheBramble said:
Bertie, I was going to let this pass with a wry smile, but you do talk tosh sometimes, so...

It wasn't precise at all. The 5 min chart had been closing +/-10pts of 10480 since about 10:45 (all times EST). The lowest bar was at 11:25. The 11:30 bar closed within the close range set by the previous half hour's trading - nothing specific or precise at all.

Well, as QEDs go my friend - that one wasn't. Not only haven't you proven anything, there never was any indication you had set out to do so. :LOL:

Any fool could say 'the wibbly wobbly will gyre and gimble' and come back later and say 'see, I told you the Dow would close at 10,967' - but it's not going to impress too many people is it?
"The wibbly wobbly will gyre and gimble" ~ you say marvellous things Bramble.

Racer said:
Well today was a nice chance to add to my Dow short at open :)

good call Racer.
I have only just stopped sweating from my yesterdays premature short at 10,415.
(almost even)
must learn to be patient!!

there has been a few posts about the Dow going up, as it has tested 10,560 TWICE, and it should break through on the third attempt.
But equally, surely it could also go down, since its about to test 10,360/10,380 for the third time also??

Yesterdays bounce was stupid and shorts closing which kept triggering more closing.. the open today was the key... it had no strength so I added, watched the oil figures.. it tried to go up, I was ready to close then but watched and it failed, so I am happy to keep my shorts for quite a bit longer now, it has failed on the upside and should now break a lot lower on next attempt.
Not drawing any definite conclusions cos you never can.. you have to be open minded about the Dow!

Thought yesterdays rally was overdone. Went short again too early and got stopped out. Short again from 10450. Nasdaq and S & P down much further than the Dow today.

Volume on NYSE is actually running ahead of yesterday's pace though Naz is lagging. Not a good day for the bulls.

A round trip today and still within the 200 point consolidation…….

When I see the Dow making a round trip, the first thing that springs to mind is “triangle” – the normal way that the Dow trades as it attempts to resolve conflicting pressures (oil down, but retails sales down too, and worries about the coming earnings season…)

As a result of today’s lower high not touching the previous top resistance line at 580 futs (560 cash), we may have a sloping top in place…..

Lower support wasn’t tested with the index stopping a few points short, but plainly there could be a test tomorrow……..

I’m keeping an open mind on which way the (speculative) triangle will break, but after such a lengthy consolidation, we can be sure that it will eventually yield a very good move…..

Attachments

• 13-04-05.gif
    13-04-05.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 187
The Dow has had a lot of attempts at break above 10500 ... third time break down now? Next potential target now 10000 and there is potential to open up much lower price.
I will be watching the initial strength tomorrow with great interest as I now have a sizeable short on the Dow

Racer said:
The Dow has had a lot of attempts at break above 10500 ... third time break down now? Next potential target now 10000 and there is potential to open up much lower price.
I will be watching the initial strength tomorrow with great interest as I now have a sizeable short on the Dow
............................................................................................................................................................................

I agree. The market is very volatile but it appears to be consolidating in the 10500 - 10360 range. I think that a big move is in the pipeline. It could still be up if it can break back over 10550 but this seems extremely unlikely to me. The odds must be in favour of another downward break and a further test of 10360 will be crucial in this respect. It failed to break this level on Tuesday but we could see another test tomorrow.
If it can break support at 10360 then we could see it go all the way back to 10,000 as Racer has already stated.
Tomorrow could be very interesting indeed. :rolleyes: