Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

It might 'seem' to take longer to make money but in reality it is shorter. The longer your trading time frame, the higher the percentage of winning trades should become. As such, over a period of a year or so, you should show higher returns than if you are trading very short time frames. Apart from that, if you are trading something like the DOW, you are unlikely to average more than 25 points per day (unless you are very good), but if you were trading it on a weekly basis you would probably average in excess of 150 points. Although the difference might seem marginal it does add up. It is also less stressful.

I know from experience with individual shares that the longer the time frame the bigger the returns and the difference is quite substantial.

Evolution or trading evolution, would probably draw us into a shorter time frame, it makes sense, survival of the fittest and all that? Darwin, could he cut it as a trader? Anyway! just to let you know where i stand on the Darwinian trading table if you like, ive just been eaten alive by hyenas!!!

LION63, that makes sense, a happy medium? But what makes a good short term trader, it certainly isnt luck...luck can run out! Some people have it, some people dont, thats fact. But, we can all strive!

Regardless of what the mathematical out come of any time frame, the only natural progression is your behaviour today compared to your behaviour from sometime in the past.
Despite the mystical ramblings of some people, we are each dependent on ourselves for any progression or regression that we naturally evolve to.

"Is the real 'essence' of trading shorter term rather than longer term"

The "essence" of trading has nothing to do with holding time, it has to do with intent.

Rudeboy,

I agree with your comments. We can strive to have the best of both worlds ie. place short and longer term trades and if we are any good at what we do, make decent returns. I for one have never believed in luck and strongly believe that to survive in the financial markets everyone has to have a lot of ability, knowledge, skill and above all else - A WILLINGNESS TO LEARN. The markets are always evolving and we must move and change with the times or get buried alive.

Anyone read the Joe Ross book 'Trading by the minute'?

Looks pretty interesting if a little pricey, but could be a small price to pay if it get's me going in the right direction.

Can anyone recommend it?

IMHO, and it really is IMHO. People go on about this and that, but without a time frame in mind, how can a successful method/strat. be built? Therefore time must be the essence of trading? I dont want to come across all knowing, because i'm not, and you all know it. Any thoughts?

RUDEBOY said:
Sulong, intent about time?

No, a person's intent when they enter the market.
For instance a person who enter's with the intent of closing the trade some time in the next 70 years is still a trader, same as a person who intends to close within 30 seconds after entry.

A person who enter's the market with the intent of willing the position away to the next of kin, is not a trader.

Mmm, market direction...look sulong, i'll agree to ...whatever. Bedtime for me, didnt realise the time, what a kop out, eh? But thats the good thing about transatlantic conversation? Speak to you soon, RB!

morning all.. shame i didnt take my own advice and go long at 241 yesterday..

anyway. yesterdays action was rather useful all round.. still looking for a weekly close of 350.

today should be largely sideways.. if i were a gambling man today, i would look for a long should we dip to the 10245 region, and back up for a close at 10,310-10,330

still currently long from 10,260 on tuesday.. looking to close my position at 10,360 today/tmr.

you should see the comedy press release from the guys at disney..so much corporate twaddle..

Morning FC

Funny you should say about the drop to the 10245 region. I had just finished putting on my alerts for 10250 when I read your post. Great minds and all that! ;-)

The support at 10250ish seems to be holding, but from my charts I can't see it getting much above the 10310 level.

Can I ask where you find the times that companies are due to release news. I can find the dates but not the time during the particular day when the news is due to come out.

Thanks

Joules MM1 said:
Time plays a significant role. A much larger roll than most realise.

Take some time to do time studies. Of themselves they arent always prefect market timing (pun intended) yet as a whole picture Fibonacci and Gann and Delta time studies can be very useful. Time cycles also give great weight to market direction. Right now that's down.

On a very basic level there use to be a thing called the seven year itch which sounds farcicle (and probably is in some way) but the fact that the body has several time clocks (various jet-lags) and that the feminine cycle dominates so strongly, should be a pointer of filters, through our very existance.

Mr Kontradief is about to be proven again.

Oh, look at the time.......

:)

Joules

You seen the market Matrix board? Get over there & knock em dead.

Hi all,

Nice session yesterday.....

Missed all of it....was out!

Anway nice to see the dow finishing near the highs after making lows under 10200...

User, are you still on for 500ish mid term? Mmm, ive not lost faith just yet.

First attempt would obviously be resistance at 10400......At the start of the week I said we should see 10500 soon....

10400 should be touched today

Goodluck all

Might not trade today, its a nice day outside......could go for a cruise!