Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Racer said:
GM has a small weighting on the Dow

True. But if it happens in the middle of the day, or on a light volume day, it could take out more than a few stops.

Highlights of rising and falling U.S. stocks
AFX

American International Group may be in focus following a report that accounting errors at the company may range between $2.5 billion and $2.8 billion, The Wall Street Journal said Friday, citing people familiar with the matter. That would be about $1 billion more than AIG's previous estimate. AIG also will push back its self-imposed Monday deadline for filing the annual report,

Microsoft Corp. said third-quarter profit nearly doubled as it cut legal fees and other expenses, but its revenue lagged estimates despite strong sales of servers and home entertainment products.

Futures now 50 pts above last nights close and 100 pts above their after market level last night.

Phew.. glad I followed my instinct this morning...
the market said GET OUT OF SHORTS (sorry for shouting but that is what it said to me)

Got itchy finger wanting to put them back on though :)

Racer said:
the market said GET OUT OF SHORTS (sorry for shouting but that is what it said to me)

Definitely seems the better part of valour at the moment

roguetrader said:
It's a little dated I'm afraid but will give you an idea

http://www.streetauthority.com/terms/index/dowjones.asp

Thanks RT - just what I wanted !

For what it's worth I think that we will se a big upswing at the open which will test 10150 early on and if it breaks through will then test 10200. I belive that this will hold and that the market will subsequently fall back to 10100. It'll either bounce from there back up to 10150 or push through support and close down on the day.
FWIW - I'm still bearish and believe that we will see a test and possible breach of 10000 over the next two or three sessions.

Racer said:

Futures have slipped back a little to 10123. I closed my 10142 short but am still holding my 12254 and 10200 open. I moved my TSL on both to entry levels and am prepared to risk the unrealised profit to try and hold these positions in anticipation of a subsequent further decline.
One of us will be proved right and wrong on this. Be very interested to know when and where you make you new short entries :?:

One of us will be proved right and wrong on this. Be very interested to know when and where you make you new short entries

I will watch the action today to get indication of how the market 'feels' .. I watch for sentiment and direction of strength

Don't underestimate the importance of the PCE Deflator figure (2.4%) against exp 2.5% and the employment cost component of the PI figure (0.7%) against exp 1%.

I'll stick my neck out and say we will finish above 10166 and possibly 10200.

Charlie says
"The Dow is down again to the very strong 10061 support level. Plenty of room above support for the inverted green triangle. To get to the latter we would have to break through the psychological 10000 level. It wouldn't take much to do that. Volumes again are average although we could see Sellers come back in on the COMPX if the index shows great weakness................Based upon what EWA seys we would expect a down day for at least half of Friday followed by a dump or a surprise U shaped day. However a lot of contrarian traders will be looking for a take-off during the first half hour and an up day, possibly a total recovery day, on Friday".

You takes yer pick............................!

kriesau said:
Charlie says
"The Dow is down again to the very strong 10061 support level. Plenty of room above support for the inverted green triangle. To get to the latter we would have to break through the psychological 10000 level. It wouldn't take much to do that. Volumes again are average although we could see Sellers come back in on the COMPX if the index shows great weakness................Based upon what EWA seys we would expect a down day for at least half of Friday followed by a dump or a surprise U shaped day. However a lot of contrarian traders will be looking for a take-off during the first half hour and an up day, possibly a total recovery day, on Friday".

You takes yer pick............................!

Charlie must have a comfortable chair on top of that fence :eek:

SPX utterly decimated (according to Yahoo). Down to 11.49 or a 98.99% fall after the market opened today.
Damn !!! Why didn't I short THAT :)

Yes,everyone should spread bet.I'll be opening my new SB firm shortly.Special rates for T2W SB mugs sorry members.