Trading with point and figure

I wouldn't like to be the first to short this market.

Prefer to be sheep than wolf. ;)

Over the last 3 to 4 days;

dax
fFXSeYK.png

ftse
oWHN5BF.png

spx
X3xQYkh.png

djia
GRV8asg.png

my opinion only...
the chart you put on shows the horizontal supp/rez very clearly...good stuff
in my mind..you have lost some of the advantage of having a p/f chart by not showing the trends clearly
just my 2 cents worth

dax
change the plot and we get a good idea of where supp and rez might be
internal trendlines/aqua are very important...always give the right readings

rez
10k -10080 and then 10122
supp

2mopnqp.gif

my opinion only...
the chart you put on shows the horizontal supp/rez very clearly...good stuff
in my mind..you have lost some of the advantage of having a p/f chart by not showing the trends clearly
just my 2 cents worth

Understood, I don't have a working logarithmic plot yet but I hope to get that nailed by end of this month with any luck - then I will implement 45-degree trend lines :smart:

Did you end up holding your P&F seminar at Chronics office?

Understood, I don't have a working logarithmic plot yet but I hope to get that nailed by end of this month with any luck - then I will implement 45-degree trend lines :smart:

Did you end up holding your P&F seminar at Chronics office?

not to worry too much about log plot

my opinion only
you must identify and separate the latest trend...then analyse that
you should then have a narrower chart/less width
that is the advantage of p/f charts

** EVENTS PREVIEW **

So to end the week, there is an opportunity for markets to turn their gaze away from the spectacle that is the UK post-Brexit referendum (aside from the very pre-Brexit Construction Output reading), and focus on the world's two major economies, China and the U.S.A., both of which offer a cornucopia of statistics to digest. Final Eurozone CPI, some more Fed speak and more US Q2 earnings, again with a hefty financials bias; it is also monthly expiry for equity derivatives. Markets insensitivity to the tragic and barbaric terrorist attack in Nice offers yet more evidence of their dislocation from reality.
- Nice terror attack casts long shadow; digesting broadly better than
expected China GDP and monthly data; awaiting barrage of US CPI, Retail
Sales, Industrial Production, NY Fed Manufacturing survey; UK
Construction Output also due; financials again dominate Q2 earnings;
further Fed speakers on tap

- China Q2 GDP/Retail Sales/Industrial Production; govt spending the key
driver of H1/Q2 growth, Net Exports and Private Investment a big drag;
Retail Sales acceleration the more impressive given CPI fall

- US Retail Sales: Autos set to drag on headline, partly offset by
rising gasoline prices; Q2 consumption solid, but ostensibly decelerating
going into Q3

- US CPI: around average gain expected for headline and core; PPI Private
Consumption jump hints at upside risks

- US Industrial Production: expected to only partially reverse May setback,
labour report manufacturing hours implies sluggish reading, despite
strength seen in Manufacturing ISM

** China - Q2 GDP **
- As ever more than a quantum of scepticism is required respect of Chinese statistics, especially the ability to report on Q2 growth just 15 days after quarter end. Be that as it may, the overall impression from the GDP and the monthly growth and govt budget data was a notably better performance than had been expected, outside of Fixed Asset Investment, though the fact that this was managed despite Net Exports deducting heavily from H1 GDP (-10.4 ppts) is quite impressive. What is very clear is that while the June Retail Sales and Industrial Production were substantially better than forecast, the real story in H1 2016 has been the extent to which GDP, above all in Q2, has been supported by a 25.1% y/y increase in govt spending. For those baying for fiscal stimulus to be ramped up in much of the G7, this will be an 'I told you so' moment. Eminently the sharp slowdown in Private Investment is a substantial 'fly in the ointment', though the other side of that coin is that it implies that the high speed and worrying accumulation of private sector debt is clearly slowing, which should be welcomed, even if it clearly does not resolve the issue of non-performing loans. The acceleration in Retail Sales is again particularly encouraging from the aspect that CPI fell 0.1% on the month, given that this is a value rather than a volume measure, and would thus appear to offer further evidence of a further rebalancing in the economy.

** U.S.A. - Retail Sales, CPI, Industrial Production **
- It can be safely said that if markets do not react to any surprises in the deluge of first division data from the US today, then one can conclude that their reaction function is dead, which in turn should be a DEFCON1 signal for policy makers. Retail Sales inevitably gets top billing, particularly in light of the Beige Book observations about some signs of slowing personal spending. Headline Sales are expected to be up just 0.1% m/m and restrained by the setback in Auto Sales, though this follows May's solid 0.5% m/m and April's stellar 1.3% m/m. Higher gasoline prices are seen boosting the ex-Autos reading by 0.4% m/m (vs. May 0.4%, April 0.8%), while the core 'Control Group' are forecast at 0.3% (vs. May 0.4%, April 1.0%). In trend terms, this would suggest spending has been tailing off going into Q3, but overall this would still make for a very solid Q2 profile; revisions will as ever be important. Yesterday's higher than expected PPI readings hint at some upside risks on CPI, particularly the Personal Consumption component (+0.6% m/m), with forecasts looking for a 0.2% m/m increase in both headline and core CPI, which would see headline tick up to a still lowly 1.1%, while core remains around target at 2.2% - certainly not indicative of any price pressures emerging, but equally not disinflationary in any shape or form. As for Industrial Production, the Beige Book offered a slightly more optimistic signal on the manufacturing sector ("mixed but generally improved"), and the Manufacturing ISM certainly signalled that the sector has turned the corner, though the labour report's manufacturing hours was slightly lower on the month. The consensus looks for a 0.3% m/m rise for headline Production and for Manufacturing Output, but this would not reverse May's -0.4% m/m after a 0.5% rise in April.
from Marc Ostwald