that new trend/aqua internal trendline is quite powerful
probably goin to get a hammerin
dax should go with it

new trend started on Friday

- Digesting very solid Japan and Singapore Trade data, and array of China
measures to cut international trade taxes, force pace of bank deleveraging
and fines for polluters; UK CBI Industrial Trends, US NAHB Housing Index
and South Africa ANC leadership vote

- USD end of year funding squeeze not a case of the usual suspects...

** EVENTS PREVIEW **

The run of overnight data from Asia - Japan & Singapore Trade and China Property Prices - along with the various measures announced in China - Import/Export tax cuts, next stage deleveraging measures, and pollution fines - may well be more of a market influence than the rest of the day's schedule. Statistically there is little more than the UK CBI Industrial Trends and US NAHB Housing Market surveys, both of which look likely to signal robust levels of activity, though probably not very different from November readings. Politically, a close eye will likely be kept on what will be a very close vote for a new leader of South Africa's ruling ANC party, as well as on the passage of the US tax bill through Congress. As such the key talking points will likely be the seemingly eternal bubble ephemera that is Bitcoin, as well as the colossal year ending USD cross currency basis swaps, which is perhaps most notable for the lack of support that it is giving to the USD, mostly likely indicative of the offshore financial system having far more in the way of reserves than on previous occasions, while the Fed's imposition of lower 'overdraft' on US domestic banks squeezes funding locally, though more "at the margin" than in a away that is indicative of more fundamental systemic pressures.

RECAP The Week Ahead - preview: 18 to 22 December 2017

- The week's schedule will none too onerous in either data or event terms as markets wind down for Christmas and New Year, with the focus likely to be on whether US Congress can finally pass the tax reform bill.

- Statistically the week kicks off with the Trade Balance in Japan, which also publishes its Q4 Tankan survey later in the week. The US has a plethora of housing data, Q3 Current Account, final Q3 GDP along with the Philly Fed survey, Durable Goods Orders, Personal Income and PCE. The UK and continental Europe have a large volume of national consumer and business confidence surveys, including Germany's Ifo Business Climate, New Zealand publishes Q3 GDP, and China has its monthly property prices.

- On the central bank front, the BoJ rounds off this month's gamut of G7 policy meetings, and is unsurprisingly expected to keep its key rate at -0.1% and its 10-yr JGB yield target at 0%, and is not expected to change its other QQE parameters. It may however offer further very gentle hints that it is to starting to consider an exit plan. There are also policy meetings in Botswana, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Morocco, Sweden, Taiwan and Thailand - all of which are expected to see no change in monetary policy. There are a number of ECB speakers, while Mr Kashkari is the only Fed speaker.

- In the political arena, outside of the US tax bill, and the enduring themes of Trump's woes and Brexit, the other item of note is that the EU commission is set to trigger an Article 7 procedure against Poland, because of the Law and Justice party (PiS) government's measures to bring the judiciary under the government's control. Specifically the concern is about a law that would restructure the National Council of the Judiciary (KRS), the body that nominates Poland's top judges, ending the terms of its 15 judges and allowing parliament, where PiS has a narrow majority, to nominate their successors. The Commission's decision would then set in motion a process that could lead to poland losing its right to vote in the EU Council. However Article 7 does require a unanimous decision of all countries, which Hungary has already said it would vote against any move to impose sanctions.

- There are a smattering of corporate earnings, with FedEx, General Mills, Micron Technology and Nike likely to be among the highlights.

from Marc Ostwald

Morning all.

Baby sitting this week with the peripheral!

This market is bonkers so it's probably a good thing. My one bitcoin, if I bought it Friday, is now worth 20k. Bonkers is the new word.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Morning all.

Baby sitting this week with the peripheral!

This market is bonkers so it's probably a good thing. My one bitcoin, if I bought it Friday, is now worth 20k. Bonkers is the new word.

And that should read 'perishers' bless em.