Sygate Firewall

breadman

Established member
Hello All,

If you install a Sygate firewall should it produce a icon on your desktop.

Thanks,

Breadman

depends on the config, I think. Does it ask you if you want one? Do you want one?

rossored said:
depends on the config, I think. Does it ask you if you want one? Do you want one?

Matt.

It does not ask if I want one. How would I know if it is working.

I am having trouble installing a firewall. I have a computer running windows 98 which had Norton. It was up for renewal so I decided to go for McAfee as my other computer has it. This would not install as it kept saying some components may not have loaded properly. You provided me with a link to get Norton of my computer as McAfee told me this is why their software was not installing.I have since tried Sygate which is also coming up with a error message at the end of the download. Do you have any suggestions to what my problem might be.

Thanks,

Breadman

Sygate does not routinely put an icon on ur desktop, not sure if there is an option in the setup to request one. However if it is functioning you should see it on ur task bar next to the clock when it loads on computer startup

rossored said:
whats the error message, BM?

The message is "This program has performed a illegal operation"

When I have then tried to reinstall it says it is installed and I have to uninstall first.
Sygate in is my programs folder, but when I double click on it "This program has performed a illegal operations" comes up again.

Thanks,

Breadman

Sometimes this is caused by applications trying to share the same resources - ie memory. Is there another application running at the time (for example, AV software?).

Can you try installing it in Safe Mode, and see if that helps?

rossored said:
Sometimes this is caused by applications trying to share the same resources - ie memory. Is there another application running at the time (for example, AV software?).

Can you try installing it in Safe Mode, and see if that helps?

Yes I have Antivir, Should I uninstall this and then try Sygate first.

Thanks,

Breadman

well, I would try installing Sygate in Safe Mode first, without uninstalling AntiVir.

rossored said:
well, I would try installing Sygate in Safe Mode first, without uninstalling AntiVir.

Matt,

Before trying it in safe mode do I need to save it on my computer or on disc as the internet will not work in safe mode.

Thanks,

Breadman

Yes, I was under the impression you already had the file on the disk, or were you installing it from the website? If so then yes, download the installer to your desktop/my documents folder, or burn it to CD.

rossored said:
Yes, I was under the impression you already had the file on the disk, or were you installing it from the website? If so then yes, download the installer to your desktop/my documents folder, or burn it to CD.

Matt,

It did not work,these are the details of the illegal operation.
Smc caused an invalid page fault in module smc.exe at 1607:0053d991

Thanks,

Breadman

Matt,

I got Zonealarm working for a 15 day trial period How do I get the free version.

Thanks,

Breadman