Self taught? Impossible!

All we were talking about is what it takes to be a profitable trader, that's balls

You're right. You need balls - BALLS OF STEEL!

griffins_balls_of_steel.jpg

All we were talking about is what it takes to be a profitable trader, that's all

No we are not.

Spend 10,000 hours studying with James 16 or Trader Dante and see how far that gets you. I guarentee that if you where dumb enough to try it, you'd never recover from the damage.

We are talking about what you choose to do with those 10,000 hours.

There's an appropriate way to spent that time, and an inappropriate way. For example, lulzing on t2w isnt really appropriate for anyone who hasnt got a couple of good years under their belt already.

2 monitors means 5000 hours to become foremost expert on market behaviour; you can then call yourself McDady or Lord Sugar

I reckon if you use the magical seashell patterns of fibonacci you will reduce required hours of practice down by 61.8% before excelling

Your balls appear to be two different sizes. Is this a prerequisite too?

It is a common misconception among novice traders that one's testicles must be of even size and near perfect sphericalissitude. This is in fact not the case.

A recent study by Knackers, Dangleberries et al. (Cambridge 2009) concluded that absolute size (as referred to by Mike, see above) is of primary importance. Followed by context - they found that the most suitable balls for trading were those which were low, loose and full of juice.

The study can be found here:

www.somotherf uckeryouthinkyougotthenutstotrade?.com

It is a common misconception among novice traders that one's testicles must be of even size and near perfect sphericalissitude. This is in fact not the case.

A recent study by Knackers, Dangleberries et al. (Cambridge 2009) concluded that absolute size (as referred to by Mike, see above) is of primary importance. Followed by context - they found that the most suitable balls for trading were those which were low, loose and full of juice.

The study can be found here:

www.somotherf uckeryouthinkyougotthenutstotrade?.com

Hail the return of absolute lulz!!!!

It's what T2W is best for.

sphericalissitude

Breathtaking.

Anyone who thinks they've got an edge in forex by risking 2%/10 pips is a fookin moron!!!

Pair Buy/Sell Quantity Type Order Rate Live Rate Pips/Pts Difference Ref # Expiry Edit
EUR/GBP Buy 100000 Limit 0.81632 0.82406 80.4 201980305 GTC

Anyone who thinks they've got an edge in forex by risking 2%/10 pips is a fookin moron!!!

I am sure it is possible to do it.

What would concern me - even if I was very successful at it for a long time - is that a single freak event could prove absolutely devastating.

Aside from that there are all the usual problems - slippage, retail forex brokers / bucket shops being as honest as a world cheating champion who has graduated summa cum laude from Scam University and has 50 years' experience in fleecing people, etc.

So it is not something that I could countenance, although as I say I am sure that some people could do it, at least for a time. I would think that one would need to be extremely skilled and have iron discipline though.

The 10,000 hours number is utter nonsense anyway - it's working full time for 5 years. Apart from some greasy teenager in his moms bedroom - who exactly has that time on their hands anyway?

If people claim that you need this BEFORE you start making money trading, I want them to post me some of what they are smoking....

You never stop getting better and perhaps 10,000 is somehow a magic number that sees you at your peak (as opposed to an internet truism). It sure does not represent the amount of time it takes to become profitable as a trader.

It's "How long is a piece of string?" territory. Some people might take more, some less. It depends upon so many variables.

I would say in general it takes a lot of time to gain the necessary experience to do well (in most cases). Of course, so much depends upon the path one takes, one's aptitude, how hard one works etc etc etc.

Of course people will take varying amounts of time but....

How much time will a guy at a prop desk get? 500-1000 hours, tops?
If 10,000 is the number and you have a full time job - what is it 4 hours of screen time a day for 10 years?

Seems like a hell of a lot of time to me.

Of course people will take varying amounts of time but....

How much time will a guy at a prop desk get? 500-1000 hours, tops?
If 10,000 is the number and you have a full time job - what is it 4 hours of screen time a day for 10 years?

Seems like a hell of a lot of time to me.

Absolutely, I don't disagree.

Another thing is what does the 10,000 hours relate to? Not losing (loosing) any more? Making a small living? Mastering one's craft?

If it was 10,000 to get to the stage where one was more or less breaking even, that doesn't sound good. If it was 10,000 hours or so by the time one became expert (for want of a better word) that's not so bad I guess.