London - XXX Olympiad

Pippppin

Congratulations to Lord Coe and his team on securing the XXXth Olympiad for London - this should have a very positive economic impact on the nation, and produce some very profitable trading opportunities

Pippppin said:
Congratulations to Lord Coe and his team on securing the XXXth Olympiad for London - this should have a very positive economic impact on the nation, and produce some very profitable trading opportunities
*Positive* economic impact? A lot of ludicrously expensive infrastructure will be built with taxpayers' money. There's no way the resulting two week blip in tourist traffic will pay for that. :(

LOL.. I know rationally this is not 'right' ,but you know I won't even mind paying the extra tax to fund this ,because all the time I am going to carry an image in my mind of the expression on Jacques Chiracs face today ..poetic justice is alive and kicking ..his goolies

qazwsxedc said:
*Positive* economic impact? A lot of ludicrously expensive infrastructure will be built with taxpayers' money. There's no way the resulting two week blip in tourist traffic will pay for that. :(

Have to say I wholeheartedly agree with you here, S (and not because you bought me a pint the other week :))

All I've been hearing is how great its going to be to have the Olympics here. Er... why? So we can pay for it, like we paid for the Millenium Dome (nice one, Tony). What exactly are Greece doing with all thier Olympic areas now?

Traffic will be hell. London will become even more expensive than it already is. Personally I think the plan is a bodgejob anyway, dragging spectators and athletes all over parts of London.

Just my opinion (and not that I'll even be living in this country by 2012 anyway)

Economically speaking, the days of the Olympics being a huge white elephant are probably over.... The citizens of Montreal are, I believe, still paying for the 1976 Olympics.

The games are likely to attract large amounts of investment, from here and abroad. The regeneration of parts of east London is likely to be significant. We will have to wait and see if the government, and local councils, are planning any extra taxes.....

Good to see that good old British scepticism and negativity is alive and kicking, at least amongst T2W devotees.............

Pippppin said:
Good to see that good old British scepticism and negativity is alive and kicking, at least amongst T2W devotees.............

qazwsxedc isn't English. Technically, nor am I ;)

tony has just butt f**ked us again in his stupidity to increase his popularity.

how on earth will london cope with this? it cant even handle the rush hour, or a few teenagers having 1 drink too many.

its a great shame that people voted this moron back in. just shows people are more worried about interest rates and their own personal well being than they are about honesty and the country as a wider concern.

personally i think we should spend the money on a bucket and mop to get our hospitals clean. may be a few new schools as well. we need to get our priorities sorted out.

the olympics will just show what a sorry state this country has become under labour and be an embsment to us all.

sorry, but that idiot makes me see red.

and another quality quote...

... Robert Pires, Napolean Bonaparte, Rene from Allo Allo, the Man In The Iron Mask, Louis Pasteur, Marcel Marceau, Vanessa Paradis, Jacques Chirac, Inspector Clouseau, the Three Musketeers, Marie Antoinette, Juliette Binoche, Jean Paul Sartre, Edith Piaf, the bloke who fronts Eurotrash, Brigitte Bardot, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Serge Blanco, Yannick Noah, Jacques Cousteau - can you hear me Jacques Cousteau!?! - your boys took one hell of a beating.

my god.. whatever happened to national pride you bunch of right-wing moaners...

who cares if its an extra few quid a year in taxes (largely funded by increases in londoners council tax anyway)

im more than happy to pay for it.

are you seriously telling me you wont be watching any of it and looking on with pride?

admittedly, part of the reason i will be watching it, and doing my darndest to get a ticket to the Bowls event, is the schadenfreude to watch it all come tumbling down.

but in the meantime, cant you just be optimistic and grateful?

fc

Any other "new" sports we are likely to see ?

Synchronised Baton Charges by the Met ?

any others?

chav throwing sponsored by burberry :p

winner gets a asbo!!! :cheesy:

FetteredChinos said:
my god.. whatever happened to national pride you bunch of right-wing moaners...

who cares if its an extra few quid a year in taxes (largely funded by increases in londoners council tax anyway)

im more than happy to pay for it.

are you seriously telling me you wont be watching any of it and looking on with pride?

admittedly, part of the reason i will be watching it, and doing my darndest to get a ticket to the Bowls event, is the schadenfreude to watch it all come tumbling down.

but in the meantime, cant you just be optimistic and grateful?

fc

fc

i'm with you, boo- boo.

the fact that one of greatest spectacles of modern times will be here is terrific and outweighs all the negatives.

quite aside from that, it's got to mean a massive cash injection into the economy (wherever it comes from) and that's got to be good for business - and us if we read and ride the winners well.

good trading

jon

Quite right barjon....

all of these moaning curmudgeons will have made their piles by then, and will be watching from their desert isles.............