IPE vs Nymex crude volume

ICE WTI first trading day went well

ICE WTI volume =38633 vs NYMEX 253681
15% of NYMEX volume on the first day of trading!

Interesting to see if it grows from here.
Has certainly put the wind up NYMEX in a big way.

Wow, I need to get on this. I did not realise that it had managed that!!! I hate to pit trade this ****e.

that is an incredible start for a new electronic market - obviously helped along by ICE's OTC WTI existing open interest that was merged with the new future market, but a definate *result* all the same!

WTG ICE WTI :LOL:

jmreeve, any observations on how the volume has held up in subsequent days so far?

looks like the Nymex is caving in, will offer side by side electronic trading within a few weeks

trouble is, Nymex electronic stuff is traded on Access, which the majority of traders dont have access to ironically. Thats why Nymex's QM emini volume fell over big time when they moved it off Globex onto Access..

NYMEX is an expensive exchange to trade on with high data and trading fees.

Volume on WTI even better yesterday, almost 46K!

One problem with the ICE contract is that it is not physically settled but is settled against
the NYMEX price. This makes it more like a competitor for the NYMEX mini crude rather than
the big contract as prices are still set in the NY pits.

Hence, it is much less of a threat to NYMEX's volume that I first thought so they might decide after a review period to leave the contact pit traded during RTH. However, NYMEX must go fully electronic soon.

Arbitrageur said:
trouble is, Nymex electronic stuff is traded on Access, which the majority of traders dont have access to ironically. Thats why Nymex's QM emini volume fell over big time when they moved it off Globex onto Access..

fair point Arb. Isnt that just a broker issue though...the brokers will chase the volume at the end of the day, just slow off the mark sometimes

jmreeve said:
One problem with the ICE contract is that it is not physically settled but is settled against
the NYMEX price. This makes it more like a competitor for the NYMEX mini crude rather than
the big contract as prices are still set in the NY pits.

If I understand correctly, Nmyex's Brent contract is settled off the IPE's screen price :LOL:

jimbo57 said:
fair point Arb. Isnt that just a broker issue though...the brokers will chase the volume at the end of the day, just slow off the mark sometimes

yes, thats quite true - I'd expect access to Access would be commonplace fairly quick if Nymex went electronic on WTI

I don't think NYMEX Brent does that much volume for the same reason ICE WTI is unlikely to;
commercials like to be able to phsically settle against the contract.

The bulk of the liquidity will probably remain in NY but ICE WTI should still be a viable contract.

jmreeve said:
I don't think NYMEX Brent does that much volume for the same reason ICE WTI is unlikely to;
commercials like to be able to phsically settle against the contract.

The bulk of the liquidity will probably remain in NY but ICE WTI should still be a viable contract.

but ICE's brent (IPE) has never been physically settled. I don't think that has much to do with it...its all about liquidity and the ability to arb betwen contracts at the end of the day

Yes, to be more accurate Brent is settled against the index but is physically deliverable.

It looks like WTI has an EFP facility for hedgers so is not like the NYMEX mini.

well, taking the view very few contracts are ever taken to delivery, id say goodnight nymex wti. along with the guys i work with, we've rolled out of our open postions in america to roll them into wti ice if only to save margining costs.

i feel ACCESS sucks. and, unfortunately, whilst ICE is far from perfect and actually takes the **** with its clearing charges, it is the only WTI alternative at the moment which is cheaper than me sending orders into brokers in the pits......

also, its pretty damned obvious bp, shell and several of the big banks are backing the ice wti and i have no hesitation in predicting another dtb vs liffe bund scenario developing with the winner being ice in under a year.

Delivery is only really useful for commercial hedgers but having hedgers helps to make a healthy market. I misread the ICE contract spec and reading it again I cannot see any reason why it should not be just as viable as the NYMEX market.

I guess what happens next depends on when/if NYMEX will make it's contract fully electronic.

impressive. Nymex are moving to offer side by side electronic trading, though its at an unspecified Q2 date. At this rate they wont have any WTI volume left.

Having said that, do you have access to comparable volume on Nymex? are ICE taking Nymex's volume visible through declining vol at Nymex? or is this new volume with Nymex seemingly doing the same sort of contracts as before?

Comparable figure for NYMEX last session was ~356,000

Hence, it was a busy day yesterday as the average is more like 250K.

Overall, the pit volume is holding up at the moment.

apparently ICE spoke to Nymex about the possiblity of buying Nymex out a few days ago!? or at least, making a sizeable offer for a stake, apparently worth double the General Atlantic offer.

I'm trying to find the article where I read this.

Arbitrageur said:
apparently ICE spoke to Nymex about the possiblity of buying Nymex out a few days ago!? or at least, making a sizeable offer for a stake, apparently worth double the General Atlantic offer.

I'm trying to find the article where I read this.

That would create quite a monopoly in the energy futures market.
Would make a lot of sense for margining and spreads to have all the liquidity in
one venue though.

found it: http://www.traderdaily.com/news/item/2483.html

jmr, yeah - but I also noticed ICE are going to start quoting a WTI/Brent spread from the 9th of March and I heard talk of a crack spread contract when I was chatting with someone up at the exchange the other day - looks like they want to bring the spreads and liquidity inhouse for these products