FTSE 100 - May

bracke said:
The dow and s&p are currently slipping away are the more experieced members of this board suggesting that the ftse will not continue to follow? If not why not?

I suspect that in the short term FTSE will follow US markets, but longer term FTSE will show a little more resilience in the longer term because....

1) UK has already started its cycle of interest rate rises. We have already had 3 increases, and the policy is one of steady, equal rises (qtr point every 3 months). Interest rate rises, domesticaly in the UK anyway, are no longer speculative, they are factual in that they are actually ocurring.

2) The US has yet to begin its cycle of raising interst rates. It may well be too little too late, thus meaning that US interst rate rises may well need to accelerate post-election time. The event hasn't happened yet. Market is spooked by uncertainty...when?...By how much?Once the first rise takes place, US investors will then feel a little more comfortable. Sell the rumour (that interest rates will rise), Buy the news (once they do actually rise).

UK rates only expected to move from 4% to 5%.....25% increase in real terms (even though inflation remains well under control at under 2% target).

US rates need to move from a much lower base of 1%...a move to 2% is a 100% change in real terms.

they did that to William Wallace

not a nice end !

disembowelled while yet alive !!!!!!

His head was impaled on a spike at London Bridge, his right arm on the bridge at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, his left arm at Berwick, his right leg at Perth, and the left leg at Aberdeen

oh and he was played by MEl Gibson in the movie in the 90s LOL

Bracke,

Nasdaq is the laggard so will be leading the way. Found aupport at 1925 and so maybe a swing up.

Hooya,

i know wot you mean. Stick to wot gives you the best results.

Slightly stating the obvious, but apart from the oils (and a bounce after yesterday's sell off by RBOS), all the rest of the major stocks contributed to the slide in the FTSE100, with Vodafone taking top spot.

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    7 KB · Views: 167
Blairlogie

I follow you reasoning but am very wary that a because of the global reliance on the usa market if they fall we all fall irrespective of the fundamentals of our economy (which I consider to be a veneer over future problems) but thats another matter.

The ftse is just holding above 4500 support appears to exist at at 4480ish thereafter 4380. If I have got this support wrong please correct me.

bonsai & Hooya

It taught him a lesson though, he didnt cause any more problems did he! or did he?

Regards

bracke

just taught the Scots to hate us even more :-( but it makes for a great 6 nations LOL

edit: on another funny note. I heard Prince Albert of Monarco speak for the first time last night.
I knew there was American in his blood but didnt quiet expect him to sound like he had just stepped off a a AA flight from New York. :p

Last edited:
bracke
I'm afraid it didnt stop there
lots more where he came from

not until 1745 and 'hiding in the oak tree'
lol
But it was Darian that really put paid to the Scots
(an exogenous event - lol)

alot of wars,; occupations , going on in those days....makes todays seem quite trivial in comparisson

bonsai

Youv'e lost me with Darian, despite yahoo search.

Finirama

Nasdaq Composite the laggard. Are you saying that of the main usa indices it was the last to start falling therefore will be the first to rise? If so why?

Regards

bracke

perhaps it should be Darien or to them it was New Caledonia.

they virtually went bankrupt with an idea of crossing Panama on mule trains

they all died.

its terribly sad , if youre a Scot

bonsai

Yes, The Darien Peninsular an attempt to set up a trading station, good idea but the could not cope with the conditions.

Regards

bracke

lol

its amazing what you can learn by reading this thread

some of the best educated voyeurs in the business !!!!!!

bonsai

Lurking has its dividends!

Finirama

Thank you for the referral

As I understand it you wait for the laggard to confirm the trend of the other two or not as the case may be. If it fails to confirm, the laggard points the way.

Which indices are used with which - ftse100, ftse250, ftse350 would these 3 be used together and dow30, s&p, nasdaq100, nasdaq comp. Does it matter what is used with what?

and finally what is es?

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
If you exit when the index drops below the opening level do you ever re-enter later?

Bracke,

Nope. Too busy working the day job, and too inexperienced to day trade.

(That's not strictly true - I tried to trade my way out of a losing position at the beginning of February. It was a very expensive lesson that I don't want to repeat :eek: )