Forum Intellectual Property?

new_trader

Legendary member
Who owns intellectual property rights over information posted in this forum?

Let me expand.

You’ll find although the rights rest with the author, actually translating that into any meaningful leverage is largely impossible.

While quoting of a source for anything reproduced with permission is required de facto, this is rarely enforced or enforceable except in extreme conditions where there is clear evidence of abuse or deceit. There is simply too much to police, so it doesn’t get policed - unless screaming at you it is. :LOL:

Quite apart from difficulty in establishing ‘ownership’ of a name (which is also a ‘nick’ for instance) even if it were copyrighted or trademarked and had been clearly denoted as such during its usage, and the content associated with it, to the degree required in law, there is also the issue of subsequent requests for changes, modifications or removals being considered ‘vexatious’ and therefore contrary to the rights of the publication/site/business.

you first have to show that any post contains anything remotely intellectual. :)

this reminds me of Tactical Trader! it used to be quite a hub of activity, until it went rapidly downhill. I think the owners decided that the writings were their property, to do with as they pleased, including potentially profitting from it.
they now dont have two articles to rub together.

interesting angle, N_T. worth checking out the small-print, of all bulletin-boards.

I would argue that the writings belong to the member posters, since the board owners make their money from advertising and paid links.

what do you think?

EDIT: clarified penultimate sentence.

The person posting it.

But that's unlikely to be an issue if you're thinking what I think you're thinking. :LOL:

Is the below accurate I wonder?

In the U.S. anything posted on the Internet is not considered "public domain". If your information has copyright or trademark protection, that applies to the Internet. If it's not protected, then you have no legal recourse if people copy it. Whether you've protected it or not, you still own the information (even though you have no way to prove it) but you are not liable if it is inaccruate.

What if T2W decided to publish a book based on members postings for example?

What if T2W decided to sell the site for example?

Rols. Public domain does not mean free of copyright or trademark protection. The content of “The Sun” is in the public domain, massively so. Legally, you can’t quote from it (bad example – why would you want to?) without permission and recognising the source, but informed plumbers, decorators and taxi drivers everywhere do.

Equally, not having trademark or copyright doesn’t mean you don’t own the intellectual rights.

Either way it makes little difference. You are unlikely to be held liable for inaccuracies in any 3rd party transcription of your public domain utterances nor are you likely up for a slice of the pie when t2w finally decide to post the best bits of t2w content. All of which is currently sitting in the deleted folders. Now, that would make a great Xmas DVD/CD. Who can we get to the do the audio?

Trendie nicked my thoughts and uncharitably put it in writing. LOL.

I'm just wondering what the motivation for the question was..... is this some attempt at revenge for certain banned members....

I tell you what...you can have all 774 of my posts on these boards for free....

but first you must agree to attend a 1 on 1 session where I impart valuable intellectual information at a cost of.....eewwee lets say 5 k....( rope and chair included )

deal or no deal ?

Who cares?

once its public, surely its everyones - so sue me!
Or perhaps it automatically becomes fodda for the shark (T2W owner Sharky!).

But if someones stupid enough to post something valuable that they then think - perhaps i should have slapped a copyright on that, that is their fault.
In any case, it doesn't really make sense, as what are you going to do if 2 people come up with the same creation independently, how do you prove one copied off the other?

I presume you are referring to trading strategies etc.?

How many times have you seen something posted on T2W that is worthy of a courtroom battle as to who owns the intellectual rights - probably never, and probably never will do. Once something like this is in the public domain, it is public. Who cares who owns it.

So again, this is another pointless discussion IMO (to which i have just spent time contributing :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:
I have a Dream , whats that ? To Have A Dream..

Anyone got any contacts for "bloody good products that you just know people will want to buy but aint in the shops yet" .

I get these strange ideas at times, including products, ad campaigns.. what to do with them all, what I want is a portal, I guess it would come under Flogging your intellectual property rights.

Any on the net.... ?

I'll have a lookie..

Who's got a good idea rattling in their heads... ??

keep it real...

What is the official word from the moderators/site owners? Does everything posted in this forum become the property of T2W?

Well the terms and conditions state the following:

6.5 All copyright and other intellectual property rights in written material and photographs supplied by you and published on the Site belongs to you. You agree that by providing content to Trade2Win you are granting Trade2Win permission to use that material on and in relation to this Site in connection with our ordinary business activities.

6.8 Trade2Win may from time to time obtain publicity for the Site in the Internet trade and popular press, and national and international newspapers, magazines and other publications. You authorise us to use any screen shots, quotations or other material from the Site that may feature content provided by you for these purposes.

Clearly publishing a book, or DVD based on materials taken from the site would be outside the scope of their "ordinary business activities".

Clearly publishing a book, or DVD based on materials taken from the site would be outside the scope of their "ordinary business activities".

Would it? I don't know the specifics of the law, but it might be that such could be considered ordinary acitivity given the generally informational nature of the site. Alternatively, a book, etc. could be viewed as promoting the business.

I imagine the Mem & Arts are sufficiently wide to cover pretty much any business activity they choose to.

Funniest post all week. Especially given the nature of the thread. :LOL:

Too much humour for one Friday night.

What is the official word from the moderators/site owners? Does everything posted in this forum become the property of T2W?

Look, just tell my ol m8 Socco that he can't delete all his posts ok because he is banned and therefore has no access....now all of this is obvious ....as Pod G says...it's screaming at you :rolleyes: